Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM 50cc Spitfire Assembly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Spitfire Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ESM 50cc Spitfire Assembly

I know there are other threads on this ESM Spitfire but I just wanted people to be aware of potential problems with this model if they planning on purchasing one.<o></o>

I finally have the time to start the assembly of my 50cc ESM Spitfire. First impression is this is a great looking ARF but on closer inspection I found that the ailerons were not tapered correctly at the outer tips, they both stuck out 3/16” beyond the taper of the wing tips. I also found that the pin hinge holes were drilled straight instead of being angled, this causes difficulty when removing and installing the ailerons due to binding at both ends with the wing.

<o></o>

I never dealt with Solartex fabric covering before so I was a little apprehensive in trying to remove the upper and lower portions so I could sand the correct taper to the ailerons. I used a heat gun to heat the Solartex at the seams and peel back the fabric. It worked really well; when the sanding was completed, I used a heating iron with a sock to reattach the fabric. This Solartex seems to be really easy to work with, it holds its shape and the glue re-sticks very nicely. I believe it’s easier to work with then either Ultrcote or Monokote. Next on the agenda is the flaps, they will also require a little tweaking to fit correctly.

<o></o>

P.S. I forgot to take photos of the ailerons before and after trimming.

<o></o>

Roger

Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Spitfire Assembly

Solartex is the best stuff to work with. Low heat and it goes around curves like no tomorrow. After you work with solartex you will not want to use anything else.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
verbails

Roger

I think your plane was built on one of the 360 days a year that the QA (quality assurance!) officer was away on holiday I did not have such an issue although two of my fuselarge formers were lose!! Remember you get what you pay for but you will end up with a fine model that flys great!

Chris
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Signing on, Roger.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 AM
ForcesR

ORIGINAL: verbails

Roger

I think your plane was built on one of the 360 days a year that the QA (quality assurance!) officer was away on holiday I did not have such an issue although two of my fuselarge formers were lose!! Remember you get what you pay for but you will end up with a fine model that flys great!

Chris

Good day Chris, how are things down under? The Chief FlyingInstructor at our club is from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">New Zealand</st1lace></st1:country-region>, a really friendly and likeable person, his thread name is V6goose (Simon Nadler). I believe the problems withthis Spitfireare that it was one of the first models from the production line. I got it two years ago and Ifinally have thetime to assemble this beauty. I am happyto say I ama Spitfire freak; this is my fifth Spitfire,they havewing spans from 39" to this 89 incher.

I have given the model a very complete look over and the required fixes are not that bad or difficult to correct. Would I purchase another ESM aircraft? Yes I certainly would!!<o></o>

I have completed rigging the ailerons and flaps, next in line to install are the ESM main gear. I am very impressed with the quality and workmanship of the LG, not to mention how little they cost compared to Robarts etc. <o></o>

<o></o>

Roger

Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
verbails

Hi Roger
It would be good to catch up with your flight instructor if he was in Auckland. If you can get hold of him give him this number 021 2323 506 (Chris) maybe we can squeeze in some flying.
This summer down here has sucked may of our club events have been washed out to the point we are wondering if it is worth trying next year!!! Having said that we have managed to get a few good club days.
The Spitfire is back in the air after almost a year mostly due to overheating problems it is all good now and I am looking foreward to many more flights.
I can give you a heads up on the gear mounts they have removed far too much material from the ribs and I was able too glue 12mm spruce either side of the rib to reinforce this area I think you will see what I mean. I fairness to ESM my first five flights ended in deadsticks due to the heating issues and some of the arrivials were less than ideal! I have remanufactured the gear supports with 7075 T6 ali as I found the original to be soft commercial grade ali and that my abuse of it was pulling it out of shape!
I look foreward to meeting your friend if at all possible.

Regards Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49712.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1739058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92120.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1739059  
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 AM
ForcesR

Hello Chris,
Simon Nadler aka v6goose, has a currentthread in this RC Universeform underGiant 3D aircraft,named "Goose's 50cc Aeroworks Edge 540 Assembly. Send him a reply; he always loves to hear from folksback in his homeland ofNew Zealand. Here is a link to v6goose's thread. Thank-you for posting the two pictures of your Spitfire, it's beautiful, gives me inspiration to finish mine as soon as possible.

Roger

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10920933/tm.htm
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
ForcesR

I am thinking ahead to engine installation and I am seriously thinking of installing a Zenoah G62, mainly due to its heavier weight compared to other 50cc+ gasengines. Alsothe G62 modified with a carburetor bend and rear mounted muffler, there is no need to hack extra holes in the engine cowl. The carburetor takes air from inside the cowl, like other gas engines.
I didn’t know about these modifications for the G62 until just recently. From what I have read, the G62 cowls in really nicely installed in the ESM Spitfire. Alsothe G62 installation would save a lot of dead weight having to be added to the nose to achieve the correct C of G.

<o></o>

Roger

Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

That's a great flying pic Chris!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
verbails

Hi Vasek
Thanks for the complement on the photo we have a professional wedding photographer in our club who is turning his hand to rc plane photo it has taken a while for him to perfect the needs of this skill eg not freezing the prop etc. He feels now he has the formula and has now a high success rate this is of course good for us. He this year produced a calendar of club planes it was scooped up fast the second picture was in this!
Roger I have sent a pm to Mr Goose hope we can catch up! I agree with your choice of motor and the reason I am unsure as to whether the side carb will clear the cowl without some sort of hole! I had to install 2kg of ballast it hurt to do so but still flies fine at 28.5 lbs horse power will always be a better option I wonder if 70cc will fit?
I am glade my pictures have given you some inspiration I am looking foreword to following this thread. If I can help by supplying any photos of in stalls etc just ask!

Regards Chris

Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
ForcesR

Chris, from what I have read, the Zenoah G62 fitted with a carburetor bend fits within an engine cowl, no need to hack a hole in the cowl for the carburetor air intake. Here is the link to the Zenoah G62 with a carburetor bend and other accessories.

<o></o>

Roger

<o></o>

http://www.toni-clark.com/

Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
verbails

Roger
We have a term at work for of someone stuffs up DUM ASS! It seem I have received it twice this week. I had a reply from Mr Goose he was shocked to hear he was meant to be in NZ it turns out I miss read your post so apologies when we hits you up about spreading false rumors !! Second although not so shocking it was the first photo from mine above that was in the calander it's a great idea to have in your work shop every month is an inspiration.
I am still a little of a skeptic as to weather a G62 will fit my DLE55 was so tight that I had to alter the side exhaust so much to give clearance of course various other differences in the engines may make a difference. The G62 is an awesome motor so I hope it works for you!
I flew my spit again in the weekend at a warbirds meet at our club all was not as smooth as hoped as my muffler came loose the lack of power and throttle response had me stretching the glide to make the field, the resulting stall from half a meter or so left one of my cannons stuck in the mud and as I discovered later a slightly tweaked undercarriage! Of course there was the usual heckles from the peanut gallery!!! No real damage done all fixed now, my pride took a bit of a hammer I was just thinking I was over all of this! Just have to work out what to do about the muffler!

Regards Chris
Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 AM
ForcesR

ORIGINAL: verbails

Roger
We have a term at work for of someone stuffs up DUM ASS! It seem I have received it twice this week. I had a reply from Mr Goose he was shocked to hear he was meant to be in NZ it turns out I miss read your post so apologies when we hits you up about spreading false rumors !! Second although not so shocking it was the first photo from mine above that was in the calander it's a great idea to have in your work shop every month is an inspiration.
I am still a little of a skeptic as to weather a G62 will fit my DLE55 was so tight that I had to alter the side exhaust so much to give clearance of course various other differences in the engines may make a difference. The G62 is an awesome motor so I hope it works for you!
I flew my spit again in the weekend at a warbirds meet at our club all was not as smooth as hoped as my muffler came loose the lack of power and throttle response had me stretching the glide to make the field, the resulting stall from half a meter or so left one of my cannons stuck in the mud and as I discovered later a slightly tweaked undercarriage! Of course there was the usual heckles from the peanut gallery!!! No real damage done all fixed now, my pride took a bit of a hammer I was just thinking I was over all of this! Just have to work out what to do about the muffler!

Regards Chris

Chris, we all make mistakes from time to time and rumours tend to make good conversation pieces. I just hope Simon, aka V6goose, has a good chuckle from the rumour and doesn’t take the drastic measure of removing my flight privileges at the flying field, lol!!

<o></o>

Roger

Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Dbp7966

Hi Roger,

When I first started to read your thread I thought god he's only just opened the box.

I have two of these, I built OU D with no issues, Motor is a DLE 55 with a rap around on a 24 x 8 flys great. Came out at 24Lbs. The second is being built by a mate Ian Redshaw, again with a DLE 55. I have placed the build link as he has shown what can be done with an ARTF. Must admit it is out standing work.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10853319/tm.htm

Good luck with yours.

DB

Name:	Eb86786.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1740837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94751.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	1740838   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26632.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1740839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96004.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1740840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68409.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1740841  
Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 AM
ForcesR

Hello DB; thank-you for posting the photos of your beautiful Spitfire, more inspirational photos to get me fired up and force me tocomplete my build sooner than later. Where did you find or purchase the cannon barrels? How much weight did you have to add to the nose to achieve C of G after installation of the DLE 55?

<o></o>

Questions for both Verbails (Chris) and DB: Did you rig the flight control throws IAW what the manual states?

<o></o>

Did you both find the plastic canopy, wheel well liners and cannon humps etc. brittle when trimming? The ones I have all began to develop mini cracks along the entire cut lines. I even sharpened the canopy scissors to a super sharp edge but it made no difference.

<o></o>

Roger
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Dbp7966

HiRoger,

Glad to hear it.

Lets answer your questions:

I have placed the link to Warbirdman (Wayne) he does what you need: http://www.artfbuilds.co.uk/index.htm

Regarding nose weight, cant fully remember but it was a couple of Lbs but my all up weight was 24Lbs

Control throws as per book and CofG

Yes Canopy/Cannon humps were but I took my time and came out OK. I always line my wheel wells, see pic.

I also cut away part of the underside as the exhausts would catch, I made a small hatch and installed my Batts and Ignition

I have placed a couple of pics of my installation if it helps.

Just ask anytime.

DB

Name:	Hf99232.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1741156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39894.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	1741157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95428.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1741158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65877.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1741159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12348.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	1741160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85664.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	1741161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11697.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	1741162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec99780.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	1741163  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu30614.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	1741164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz19731.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	1741165  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
ForcesR

Dbp, thank-you for the link to the cannons and exhaust stacks, just what I was looking for, got to get me some of them, yahoo!! The mesh material forward in the engine cowl; what is it for/do? The photos are a tremendous help, the only problem is, the photos are like pouring salt in an old wound!!! I got to get my Spitfire build quickly before I pass away from envy!!

<o></o>

Thank-you very much, my new friend from across the big pond, your assistance is so very much appreciated!!

<o></o>

Roger

Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Dbp7966

HiRoger,

Yes it's nice to talk and make new friends.

The mesh hides the engine when looking at the front and allows to keep some shape, also allows good airflow over the head.

Any questions just ask away.

Cheers
DB
Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
verbails

Hi Roger
Yes all control throws were as stated in the instructions and CofG at 153mm this was all good. I needed 2 kilos to ballance AUW 13.7 29.7 lbs (never could build light!) still flies fine though I have full cockpit and pilot I think this is the reason I need so much ballist. I have read other threads that quote similar weights I feel there maybe differences in layup in the tail etc.. I have done a similar thing as DB re the fire wall it is behind here that all the flight batteries and ignition are stored! I brought an extra canopy for VQ models that is of a much better grade and thicker plastic was good for the sliding conversion. My guns are turned out of a broom stick and are the single best thing and the worst thing at the same time look great but are continually in the way the price you pay to look cool!!!

Name:	Ig12991.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1741223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33442.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1741224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30068.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1741225  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 AM
verbails

Hi Roger
I have to eat humble pie again I found a thread on YT International that one guy has fitted a G 62 to his spitfire no problem with the carb- elbow looks like plain sailing for plan A !!!

Cheers Chris
Old 04-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Dbp7966

Hi Roger,

Hows she going????

DB
Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Dbp7966

Hi Roger,

Just completed the radio install on my new Silver Spit. Complete with Electric Retracts.

The box to the right is a Power save from SM Services, with this you power up your servos with its own power souce and power up the RX (2.4) with its own. You can use 4.8 or 6 v.

Here is the link: http://www.smservices.net/acatalog/On_Board_Units.html Terry and his lovely wife are great and very helpful.

Also ran up the motor.

DB

Name:	Hf99979.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1745312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92323.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1745313  
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
ForcesR

Hello DB,
unfortunately the assembly has been going slowly lately, I got side tracked with other issues, work, moving etc, but I did manage to install the right main gear.

On a good note, I did receive my cannons and exhaust stacks from Mike Skingle, he even included an antenna and rear view mirror at no extra charge, only if I promised to send him a photo of my completed ESM Spitfire. A very good example of black mail I tell you, black mail at its finest, Lol!

<o></o>

Roger

Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Dbp7966

Sorted mate.

Yes us Brits are like that LOL.

Keep us informed.

Cheers

DB
Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 AM
ForcesR

Hey, I finally have an assembled 7ft + surf board.

<o></o>

Just to recap the problems I had with assembling the wing. (1)The aileron pin hinge holes for both ailerons were drilled off center. The pin hinge holes were filled in with 3/16 hard wood dowels, the hinge holes were centered and new hinge holes drilled. (2) Both aileron outer tips stuck out 3/16 beyond the taper of the wing tips. Solartex covering peeled back, aileron tips sanded to match wing tip taper, Solartex covering reinstalled. (3) Main wing primary joiner tube was 42mm too long; I had to cut tube to correct length before installation. Both the primary and secondary wing joiner tubes did have the correct diameter for installation. (4) The hardware package for the ailerons and flaps either had the incorrect size fasteners or the fasteners were missing from the package. For example the screws and nuts to secure the ball links to the aileron and flap clevises were listed as 3mm diameter and 10mm in length. What was actually provided were 1.5mm diameter screws with 3mm nuts. All servo horn locking collars for the flaps and aileron push rods were missing the Allen head grub locking screws.

<o></o>

So far the fixes are fairly easy to do but are time consuming and a little frustrating at times. I guess this is usually expected from the first production run of an aircraft model or until a quality control program is put in place by the manufacturer. I would assume that most of these problems have been corrected by the manufacturer on the later production runs of this ESM Spitfire?

<o></o>

Started to trial fit the horizontal stabs, could not complete trial installation due to the stab joiner aluminum tube being too small in diameter. Instructions indicate the joiner tube is 12mm in diameter; the joiner tube provided in the kit is only 10mm in diameter, a very, very sloppy fit as seen in the attached photo. I will have to see if the LHS has the correct diameter joiner tube in stock. I will keep you updated as assembly progresses.

<o></o>

Roger

Name:	Wu61171.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1751886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85171.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1751887  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.