Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

61 FX enough for TF P 40?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

61 FX enough for TF P 40?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 01:46 PM
nav8tor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 FX enough for TF P 40?

I'm planning to build a TF P40 for a winter project and I'm thinking about what engine I want for It. I've got a good OS 61 FX that I'd like to put in it to avoid the expense of a new engine, but I want to be sure that the plane isn't under powered. This is my first war bird, but it seems to me that I won't need the excess of power that I have in my sport planes since I won't be doing much in the way of aerobatics with it. I expect to mostly do scale-like manuevers like barrel rolls, loops, wing overs etc.

Does anyone have any experience with a 61 FX in this plane or similar ones? What do you guys think?

Lee
Old 08-29-2003, 02:17 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

I have built the FW 190D9, mine is 10 1/2 lbs, somewhat heavy
and I fly mine on the .61 FX. pulls it along fine as far as I'm concerened. more motor would be more speed, but this works enough for me. I hav had 3 other engines in it. and .80 Saito, not enough, and MDS .78 great, killer power, but sorry engine. so the .61 FX will stay in the ole beater bird

Todd
Old 08-29-2003, 03:30 PM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Default TF P-40

Hi, I have the TF P-40 with Robart retracts(junk) flaps, Super tigre 90, retract tail wheel, I absolutly love the plane and how it fly's, it is on the heavy side, but fast, there is NO jerking this plane around in the air, been swimming for it once, sorry another story, if you keep it light, I think your 61 would be more than enough, the heavier you build the more speed you'll need not to have a tip stall out on you,...........if your going with retracts, sierria is building retracts for this kit as we speak, i've got a set coming, and he is suppose to be very good at building retracts, this is the only drawback i have with this plane,....Go ffor it,...Paul
Old 08-30-2003, 12:30 PM
fatfreddy17
My Feedback: (43)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an O.S. 61 in my Top Flite P-40, no retracts, no flaps. It was a very light plane, and the .61 did OK in there. I was flying it at 1/2 throttle or more to keep the plane from getting "mushy" in the air. An Rx problem took care of all of that.

Since then I have put engines in my warbirds that are closer, or over the top end of the recommended engine size. No such thing as too much power, you can always back off that left stick.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Fastsky

Default prop for 60 size war birds?

HI, since there are some flyers here that have an Fx61 to power your warbirds I am wondering which prop works best for you?? I have a DC SEa Fury that flys well but could use some more speed.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:15 PM
WillyP

I have an OS 61fx in my TF Corsair that, with flaps, weighs 9.5#. It flys it very well and does loops and cuban 8's. I use an APC 13x6 because of the large cowl.