Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 PM
MRadu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top-Flite 1/5th F4U Corsair ARF Group Build and modification thread

Congratulation Warbird man,
I'm going out this week to maiden mine. I don't think I'll have video or photos however I'll try.
Again great job.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM
3DFlight

Everyone, great forum on this Corsair. I just returned from company business keeping me away from modeling. I'll get some close up pictures some time this week of my gear door set up. So far, it has worked well. Also, th Troy Built 20x12 3 blade seems to work ok. # blade rarely makes as much thrust as a two blade for models, but it looks cool.

Regards,

3Dflight
Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth and if I did my math correctly, Mine came out at 26.2 lbs. I only added 8oz of ballast to balance out at the suggested CG with the G-62. Maybe a slight bit on the heavy side, But it sure does haul @$$
Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM
MRadu

Wow Warbirdman,
I now have completed my Top Flite Giant ARF Corsair. Well I still have to do some weathering painting.
I plan on flying this Saturday at Woodland Davis RC field.
First this Friday (Maiden) I'll go to my local field and taxi test her and make any engine adjustments required. Then Saturday time to fly.
No hanger queens for me.
Well after I finished the dummy engine and making the tail wheel doors function, and added the last white tail light in the tail, I had to place a ton of weight into the nose.
My plane is balanced at just shy of 5,3/4" and weighs in at 31.75 LBs
Is this plane going to fly?
I hope so!!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: MRadu
31.75 LBs
My 85 inch span Byron Corsair was over 31 pounds and flew beautifully. It would slow down quite well and was easy ( and fun) to land. However it would drop a wing violently if you did get it too slow and it took a substantial amount of altitude to get it flying again. Thus, you don't want to stall it anywhere near the ground. Alot like the full size I imagine. Still one of the best flying warbirds I've ever owned.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Warbirdman,

Can you tell me what prop you are using and rpm you are reading on your G62? I have one on a GS P-40 and it only seems happy with a 20x10 Xoar turning 7400. With a 22x10 Xoar it turns 6500. I think my muffler may be restrictive.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Warbird Man

Lifer,

Currently I'm swinging a std issue XOAR 22x10 and it seems just fine w/ plenty of power. Using a J-tec inv. wrap around pitts. I didn't check the max rpm though as I usually tune by ear. But it sounded good and I flew it. I didn't even touch the needles (yet) I'll check next time I'm out where it's at.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Lifer

Thank you! I'm looking forward to your rpm figures so I can verify my engine's numbers.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
MRadu

I must apologize as now I have balanced my plane correctly with gear up and upside down.
I finished the tail doors and all lights.
My Top Flite Corsair is just slightly under 38 lbs the wing area is 1376 sq.in.
This is 12 lbs more than stock!
My balance is ever so slightly less the 5 3/4"
Engine and taxi test tomorrow. Then Sat. to maiden.
I'll let you know the out come.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice.
Any and all is help is welcome.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Warbird Man

Good luck Michael on the maiden.
Although I'm no expert, all I can say is keep up the airspeed. A heavy warbird will fly just fine. Just make sure you have plenty of airspeed on take off and make sure you " fly it" down on landing.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow thats heavy! Unless my scale is off by a ton mine weighed in at 23lbs dry. I added a few items like 2 extra air tanks and a pilot figure plus working cowl flaps and soon a dummy radial. I also added 1lb14oz to the nose to balance out at the stock CG. So yours is quite a bit heavier than mine and I highly recommend flaps and speed as needed to land her safely.

Best of luck!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
sdcranford
My Feedback: (4)

3DFlight,

Your YouTube video looked great. I too would love some detailed pictures and descriptions since I plan to order this ARF and what is needed to get it airborne this week. After seeing that I'm going to go with electric retracts. This thread has been great although I won't go as crazy as some of you have Although I wish I had the time and skill, those Corsair's are amazing.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Warbird Man

This turned out to be a cool shot of mine coming in for a landing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2583.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1909584  
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Originally Posted by 3DFlight
Everyone, great forum on this Corsair. I just returned from company business keeping me away from modeling. I'll get some close up pictures some time this week of my gear door set up. So far, it has worked well. Also, th Troy Built 20x12 3 blade seems to work ok. # blade rarely makes as much thrust as a two blade for models, but it looks cool.

Regards,

3Dflight

Anyone have flight video with this TBM three blade set up? Any feedback? I'm vetting this set up and can't find any feedback. Sounds like 14 is the right setting? I have a DLE 55
Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Warbird Man

Lifer, sorry I took so long but I finally remembered to get the tach out of the flight box today. I'm running abit over 6800 with a std. 22x10 Xoar on my G-62. I usually like to get abit into the 7000 range, but it's just fine the way it is. I hardly fly over half throttle as It goes like a batt otta hell wide open.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 AM
Lifer

Thank you! I also have used a 20x10 and the ground rpm is around 7500. Flies great.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 PM
3DFlight

Everyone,

I had to go to the 14 pitch setting on my Troy Built 3 blade prop, then it was fine. At the 12 pitch setting, it would barely taxi and scary RPM. Once changed, the plane flew fine, certainly more gorund roll than with a 2 blade, but the three blade looks so cool. It was quite amazing how much difference 12 to 14 made.

3Dflight
Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 AM
MRadu

Thanks 3Dflight,
The updates are good to know.
I have another video of this Corsair flying.
http://youtu.be/TLZDE_2ci9c
I did not know I was being filmed and it is a little long.
This was seven days ago and I have since had better landings.
Please reply with any advice in landings.
On the video you can see I only had half flap and I believe I trying to land to slow.
Today I'm going to try to use full flaps and land with some power on.
I can tell you that my better landings have been once the wheels touch the ground I immediately neutralize the elevator.
That stops all the bouncing and the rollout is smooth. However I still need power all the way up to the point the wheels touch the ground.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Warbird Man

Very nice Michael. You nailed it right on the head with your own advise. The plane needs to be flown down and neutralize the elevator as soon as the mains touch and let it roll out and settle on its own. The plane lands just like my AT-6. If you hold any up elevator when the mains touch, It just bounces back into the air. Just takes alitttle practice.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep what he said plus I'll add you might practice a more level approach to final instead of a more dive bomb approach. Reason is you will control your rate of descent better and judge the speed more precisely as well. Just imagine/remember the WWII footage of these Corsairs approaching their carriers to land and try to do it by the numbers like they did. My approaches are very shallow and on final Im on power keeping the plane loaded and using power to control rate of descent as much as I can. I make very small elevator inputs to keep it coming smooth. On a couple of occasions Ive managed clean 3 point landings but these are risky and tricky because your flirting with the stall.

Was it very windy on that day the video was shot? I find that on calm days its best to use full flaps, on windy days half flap and on really windy days no flap. Ive tried variations on each and if you have too much flap for the conditions the plane floats and bounces around in the wind if its even slightly gusty.
I asked about the wind because it looked as though the plane was a little erratic.

Good looking Corsair, I live in Pappy's home town, Coeur d'Alene ID!

Also, do you have Flap/Elevator mix programmed? On mine I have 8% up mix at full flap. So I have to match my speed to the flap setting so the plane wont climb or balloon.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 09-29-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 PM
3DFlight

Evryone's advice would match mine. I use more throttle than you would think necessary, power to control altitude. I also use full flaps on calm to light winds and half flaps on windy days. And yes, get off the elevator once wheels are down, specially if three pointing or it does tend to go back to flying. Fun plane to fly and always gets everyone's attention when flying. Of course, with the wrap around muffler and the stacks cut very short and the three blade prop, it is quite loud. I think now I am going to upgrade the tail wheel and maybe work on drop tanks.

Blue Skies and Fair Winds!

3Dflight

Last edited by 3DFlight; 09-29-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 AM
tlroliff
My Feedback: (38)

Has anyone used any of the aftermarket fiberglass cowls on the Top Flite F4U ARF? The manufacturers I have communicated with have cowls that were designed for the original kit and they aren't sure if they will work with the ARF because supposedly the ARF is a bit smaller at the front?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 AM
MRadu

Hello Tlroliff
If you go back here on my thread you'll see I too wanted to purchase a better cowl for my ARF corsair. Going back you'll see I purchased a "Fiberglass Speciality" cowl for the Top Flight kit. This cowl is to large. I then modified the ARF cowl.
Is that what you were asking?
The cowl from "FIberglass Speciality" was great in quality and scale. It was simply to large.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM
tlroliff
My Feedback: (38)

Exactly what I needed to know! Thank you. I will check your other posts.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 AM
m3_express

For anyone who's interested in picking this ARF up, Tower has this on sale for $364 right now. Take another $50 off with the coupon code and you're looking at $314!

I was planning to get the GS P-40 but had to pull the trigger on the Corsair for this price.

M3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.