Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

pica or top flight p-51

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

pica or top flight p-51

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM
warbdluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had the same question when I decided to add a 1/5 stand to my stable. First off let me state that Im a builder so I personally dont mind a little extra carving , sanding and maybe a little engineering to build a kit. The fact that a pica is a builders kit wasnt an issue in my decision. I gathered all the info I could find on both and decided on a pica. I have nothing against Top Flite kits, they are wonderful. They make for great planes that build quite easily so Im not knocking them. I like a scale plane and to me the pica won on that question. It does make for a heavier plane but with a little care they can be lightened slightly but I also prefer a plane that doesnt get moved around at the mercy of a little breeze. Once I got to fly a pica, I was sold. In the end they both have advantages and drawbacks as others here have poited out so its up to what you prefer. I just happened to decide on the pica. I think the pica is more scale and makes for a good solid plane but youll earn it in the building process. The TF is easier to build and the ability to get replacement parts is pretty hard to ignore. They will both fly well and like anything else, you just need to get used to how each behaves. Its up to you and if you want to spend more time building or flying. Either way, good luck and enjoy your big Stang.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 PM
szempruw

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gcook12
i was just given a Pica p-51 that belonged to a man that could not build anymore due to illness. I really want to finish but there are no instructions or plans. Does anyone have a set?
I have a building thread here and I have the plans in PDF format that can be printed at any print shop. You might need instructions also. Let me know by private email.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:18 AM
szempruw

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Pica 1/5 Scale Mustang Final Weight

Originally Posted by F4u5
The difference in weight is negligible...only about 2-4 pounds max, but for me, I don't like extremely light airplanes...they just don't seem to handle as smoothly or groove as well. With the Pica at 89 inch span, mine was decked out at 29 pounds, which is still light to me. It flew flawlessly. They are a bit more work to build, but in the end, I think you ahve a nicer looking, more accurate P-51. The nose on the TF droops too much which I never liked. I sold Roy an old framed up Pica P-51 I had....get that one from him[8D]. Stop by and say Hi....and if ya can, steal that Evolution 7 cylinder from Roy and drop it in my trailer and I may build you a Pica for Free....

Hi Roy (I know you're looking)[X(]

Jeff
Just some comments here about the Pica build. I wonder what Jason decided to do. I am building one and it's been over three years now. It's taking longer because it's not a full time project. I work on it when I can, especially in winter. The Pica kit is like a painter's canvas. You can do as little or as much scale to it as you want. I'm not a master scale builder. My build project has been an attempt to explore scale techniques and apply them to this build. The Pica kit really lends itself to build scale like. I call it pseudo scale.

I always worried about weight when building it. I had a goal of being 25 lbs. or less. That's not going to happen. I had a reason to assemble just about everything to decide where the batteries should go. It turns out that with a DLE 55RA being so light, I actually may have to add more weight upfront. I'm at 25.3 lbs. and still have to glass the wing and finish off the outside. Your comments here about weight have been most reassuring. The scale features are causing the weight of the build to go higher. But the building is half the fun. I've built planes most of my life and I enjoy this aspect of the RC hobby as much as the flying. At least now, I don't worry so much about the weight.

Top Flight does make great kits. I've built a few. Their longevity in the marketplace speaks volumes. To anyone that can find a Pica kit, I'd suggest they grab it quickly. They aren't being made anymore. However, I've saved tracings of the formers and with the plans, kit instructions, and with some building talent, you could scratch build one. A fiberglass cowl and canopy are still available from a 3rd party. I'm just a fan of Pica's kits and I hope my bias is understood. Either kit would be a good build project, For a true scratch build, research any info on Chad Veich in this forum or the web. I think he has 1/4 scale drawings available by now. He shared them with me once and they look really good. I think he can scale them down to 1/5 scale if you contact him directly.

Last edited by szempruw; 04-17-2019 at 07:34 AM.