Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Yellow P-47 build question

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Yellow P-47 build question

Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yellow P-47 build question

I am building a Yellow Aircraft P-47 and I have a basic assembly question. In the instructions Yellow recommends "tack" gluing all the servo mounting plates and brackets to the fiberglass fuselage. Once they are tacked in place they tell you to put down heavy fiberglass cloth and resin to secure the mounts and brackets to the fiberglass fuselage. I used Hysol/Aeropoxy/Vpoxy to glue all my mounts and brackets. Do I still need to put down fiberglass cloth or will that just be a waste of time and add weight?

Thanks,
Tony Gagliardi Jr.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Yellow P-47 build question

Tony,

I would think that the hysol glue should be more than adequate to hold in the mounts. As long as you did the proper sanding of the glass and cleaned the area up with rubbing alcohol before you glued them in it should be fine. That is all i did on a P-38 of there's about three years ago and they are still holding on strong.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Greg Wright

Tony,

I would think that the hysol glue should be more than adequate to hold in the mounts. As long as you did the proper sanding of the glass and cleaned the area up with rubbing alcohol before you glued them in it should be fine. That is all i did on a P-38 of there's about three years ago and they are still holding on strong.
+1
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

I cleaned the area with acetone, sanded the fuse with 60 grit paper then cleaned with acetone again before gluing.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Dash7ATP

Tony,

Here is a link to my Yellow P-47 build Idid several yeas ago. Lot's of stuff there.

Idid not glue any servos to the inside of the fiber glass fues, but rather I made a mounting board to which Iadded the servos. I'm not sure now if Ishowed these details in my build. Everything related to the gear, flaps, and aelirons are in the wing or belly pan. I had three air hose connections from the wing to the fuse for air source (air bottle in the fuse) and the tail wheel retracts. I'm not sure where you are in your build, but maybe something here will be of use to you.

Dash
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8836329/tm.htm
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
John Baligrodzki

Tony,

On my ship, along with gluing servo mounts, etc. In place, I also added 3 ounce cloth and polyester resin to make absolutely sure anything will ever come loose.

So where you at with your build?

Regards,

John B.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

Thank you for the advice. I guess I will add some glass cloth and resin to the mounts. I am pretty far along with the build. I actually had somebody do most of the building and I am just finishing things up. Setting up the cockpit right now then it will be very close to final sand and primer.

Thanks again,
Tony
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Tony Gag Jr.

Thank you for the advice. I guess I will add some glass cloth and resin to the mounts. I am pretty far along with the build. I actually had somebody do most of the building and I am just finishing things up. Setting up the cockpit right now then it will be very close to final sand and primer.

Thanks again,
Tony
What are you using/recommending for a cockpit kit?

Regards
Michael
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Bigchief47

Hi Tony,
I pinned mine using tooth picks and glue...........you know how Jesse flies never had a problem doing it that way.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used strictly hysol and thats worked fine.. It's SO agressive I doubt glass cloth would add any more strengh.

I used a Dbalsa kit for mine but I scratch built the dash and some other items.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

I recommend using automotive polyester resin, I think Hysol is epoxy unless they have some out of polyester that I don't know about. You will get a better bond using polyester resin on Yellow Aircraft polyester fuselage.

Typically I use carbon fiber tow (string), I wet the tow with the resin and place it within the edge of formers where it meets the fuselage, this is a lot easier than using cut up glass cloths. I only do one side for things that wont need too much strength and I place the tow on both sides if I need full strength.

Here is a link to how I do this (in my info I use strings from a cloth roving which I had at the moment), use the correct resin for whatever the fuselage is made out of.

http://vicrc.com/tips/index.htm

Have fun!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

I already installed all the mounts and brackets with Hysol. I know a lot of guys have used Hysol on Yellow's polyester glass without any issues at all. I am going to add some 3.1 oz cloth and poly resin to all my mounts and brackets just to be on the safe side. Yellow recommends using 6 oz cloth but since I used Hysol to glue everything I think the 3.1 oz will be plenty. I am using the cockpit tub from Yellow and the painted cockpit from Just the Pits. This plane is just an everyday flier so it does not need a super scale cockpit.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
John Baligrodzki

So Tony, is this ship the razor or the bubble top? Also have you decided on a paint scheme? Also what engine are you using?

Regards,

John B.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

It is a razorback and I will be using a G-45. Here is the scheme I will be using.

http://www.langham.org.uk/HistoryInd...h-B/65th-B.htm