Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
Default RE: 150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229

It'll be awhile before #2 gets it maiden, but #1's power system is in the mail and on its way here! Fans will be here in the AM (gotta get them from the post office), one ESC is already here, the other is in the mail, and the motors are "supposed" to be here by the weekend. We should have everything needed to get the first one back in the air and under 12S power by the end of the month.

#2's still got a long way to go. I've got to go over and show Tom how to go about his drag rudder install and how to install the wing tubes (he's never done that before), then he has to finish the rest of all the building for the outer wings, glass them, etc. Not to mention everything the center section needs!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best word for this thread is........AWESOME!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 AM
1BadF14

Thomas

You have taken a project that it would take most average builders and completed that is quick time.
You have shown that with some thinking and planing it can be done. I liked how you showed how to do infuse molding and wow it works.
Now if  I can do that for my 1.2.75 144.75" Lavochkin La-7 I would be happy but we can all still dream

Michael
Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike if you do that LA- 7 I hope you do a thread on it. That's a great looking airplane. One that size would be awesome. Hope to see ya at FiF.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM
invertmast

Welll.... lets see here, where and what have I been doing..

Well, Tom is getting to work on his wing panels. I think he's getting pretty far along with the Drag Rudder install night-mare, he's going out of town this weekend though, so that will set him back a bit.

For myself, well.
Both of the Jet-Fan 90's are in, the HET 700-68-1200 matched motors are in, the CC Ice2 120HV's are in, batteries are still here, the Tamjets heatsink and CF tail-cone's should be here for the weekend, and the caste link and quick connect for the 2nd ESC is ordered as well.

Essentially, everything necessary for the power system upgrade is here, except the inlet rings. I really need a HET 90mm inlet ring as that would save me some time and it transitions into the LE of the center section nicer than a Midi-fan ring..

I also cleaned up the Rx mounting and wiring layout of my horton. It was just zip tie'd to the back of the front bulkhead for the first flight, but now that it flies, i had to clean up the rats nest.

I have also been busy working on Tom's Center section.

First was cutting out the canopy hatch. this is done using the smallest blade out of the 3 piece Zona saw set (its like a small key-hole saw). A fiberglass and Carbon molded piece that mirrors the hatch is placed into position, and then taped in place. The saw is then used to continuously score the molded center section until it is all the way through, then the hatch is removed:

Then the inlets are roughly opened, leaving about 1/4" flange.

Then the 1 1/2" alignment holes for the thrust tubes are cut into the exhaust exit. The wing tubes and sockets are used along with the fan shroud to align the modified inlet ring and fan unit into the center of the inlet and outlet.

Then the Gear door's are all cut out. This is done in a similar way as the canopy, except no cutting guides are used. the upper strut doors are cut free from center section molding and discarded b/c they are provided as a separately molded component. Inner wheel doors and the lower strut/wheel door moldings are reused from the center section, so they must be cut free using the Zona saw.

Then the nose gear mounting structure is all installed:

Then the Battery and steering/gear servo mounting plate is installed. You can also see the rectangular plate that has an oval shaped hole in it that is used to hold the receiver and match box's.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
invertmast

The second center section is getting closer to being at the same stage as the first. All of the little nit-picking stuff is done. The only real construction left to do to it, is the inlet ring install (when i get them) and the fan unit mount plates.
I also made up the octopus' extensions for the 2nd one as well:

Then on the first one, I did some flite-metaling to the bottom of the inlet fairings:

Then repaired the main landing gear doors and got those back up and working again.

And then I did some more flite-metaling to the top of it. Unfortunately I ran out, so i wasn't able to finish.

Everything is on order (and shipped) to complete the upgrades for the first one, except for the new nose gear stuff. Robart has delayed shipment on that stuff due to the nose gear strut being back-ordered.
Sooo if anyone has a robart #686 trailing link strut they aren't using and are willing to part with, lemme know..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
invertmast

The new power systems are assembled and tested. I still need to install the mounting tabs to the fan shroud, but its all together and working. Its a tight fit getting the CC ice2 120HV's in the tamjet tailcones!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM
invertmast

#2 is slowly catching up to #1. It has 99% of the building completed on it, the only thing left is to do the body work for the inlet rings(they have been installed now) and to epoxy in place the fan unit mount tabs. Otherwise, it is completely "built" and only requires paint and equipment install!

#1 is still waiting on flite-metal to arrive so I can finish it up. Its new (matching) inlet ring was installed on the right side and the body work done. The fan units also had their mounting tabs epoxied to the shrouds as well.

Today I went about installing the clear canopy.

The canopy was trimmed to shape slightly over-size of what you would see. continue reading..

Then i had to cut out the clear canopy area's. The canopy frame has two molded lines, the outer edge of the frame, and then the inner side of the frame where the clear glass starts. The windscreen has three, but you still trim it out to the inner-inner most line.

Then the canopy was placed into position so it overlapped the inner-most edge of the canopy frame by about 3/16" and then the outline of the clear glass was traced onto the canopy frame and windscreen frame.
Using a rotary file, a trench is sanded into the canopy/windscreen frames for the clear canopy molding to sit into so it is flush with the surface:

Then the canopy and windscreen was glued into position with some foam-safe CA (keeps the clear canopy from fogging):

Once all that dries, i'll applly some clear silicon to the center section/canopy frame molding to clear canopy corner joint. Then the canopy and windscreen will be taped off. Then the tape will be trimmed to follow the outline of the inner edge of the frame, any body work necessary will be done (to ensure the clear canopy is completely flush with the surface) and then a flite-metal frame will be applied.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM
invertmast

More progress... Robart finally shipped my nose gear unit and nose strut, so that arrived saturday. I got all of the flite-metal done on saturday, along with the adapter for the nose gear strut to work on the retract (it was intended to be used as a fixed gear only)..

And some different length's of nose gear unit showing the AoA..

Then today, i got to painting!

First up was doing the interior RLM colors for the gear doors and wheel wells. Then the RLM-76 light blue was spraying on the bottom of the center section and outer surface of the gear doors.. No picture of this though..

Then was the green base coat (RLM-81) on the top:

Then the outer wing panels were put on, and the brown camo (RLM-82) was sprayed:

Then came time for the fun stuff.. WINTER CAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First i took my i-phone in one hand and the airbrush in the other and started copying the separation line between the green and white. then started filling in the white area's. Since WWII luftwaffe winter camo was field applied and normally was made up of whatever white color they could get ahold of and sometimes applied with a mop, rag, brush, paint gun, broom... whatever they had on hand, I purposely tried not to completely cover the RLM- 81/82 base camo..

Then i just continued on with the outline and filling in the gaps, until I got to the point where all the base winter camo was applied.

I'll have to make up the paint masks for the insignia's this week and then plan to spray those on Saturday, then commence with the weathering; some of it (LE chipped) has already been started.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that looks good. Nice finishing work.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lookin' sweet! I have a question on the warbird colors. I just got my paint from them for my TA 152, and I was wondering what you use to thin it? Water, windshield washer fluid? Any need to add floetrol? Looking forward to using this paint.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM
invertmast

I don't thin it at all.. I spray it straight with an airbrush. All of that white is only 2oz of paint. the green is less than 2oz, the light blue on the bottom was less than 2oz and the brown is only 1 ounce.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

Thomas

Curious to see how your new fans perform. Since I last posted I've done a redue on my twin direction and fan setup. Too much to post here. But if your curious to see how the TJ100s are doing...take a peek.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841352
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM
invertmast

Pandi,
The TJ's sound really good! It'll be interested to see how they push the Rhino through the sky.. I suspect the Jet-Fan's should make a HUGE difference with the horton. Afterall, one of them makes more thrust than both of the Change Sun 90mm setups combined!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 PM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

Talking to Tam. The sweet spot on these fans are 11s. So I'm going to test fly at that.

With your tail cones...it was pointed out to me to have some vent cut in them to help cool that ESC. Looks like you may have some already. Just FYSA

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM
invertmast

Yea they come pre-cut with the back tip open and some holes around the circumference of them cut out as well.. i'm assuming they are good as they look the same as what tam sells as a bolt in motor/esc/tailcone option
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
invertmast

Since we got around 24" of snow today, I got to shovel snow all morning and then said forget about working my way through the snow to work, so I stayed home. After playing in the snow for a few hours with the wife, child and dogs, It was his Nap time so i did some work to the Horton.

Since I made the mistake of doing the snow camo before adding the insignia's to the tops of the wing panels, I made up the paint masks for those insignia's then marked on the wing where the winter camo needed to be removed and removed it with a scotch brite pad and some water downed windex.

Then the paint masks were put into position on the wing panels:

Then the insignia was painted:

Once it was dry, the paint mask was removed giving you this:

And then the winter camo that was removed was re-sprayed around the white insignia's on the top..

The Black insignia on the bottoms was also sprayed:

I then drew up the paint mask for the Radio call sign and the swastika. Since the swastika is typically placed on the vertical stabilizer and the Horton has no vertical stabilizer, the only vertical surface (or near of) was the aft end of the engine nacelle fairings, so I decided to place it there.

Then the Radio call Sign (Black 14) and swastika was sprayed on both sides:

I have to wait for some RLM 23 and 24 to arrive for the squadron tail band colors, then I can apply those and begin the weathering and get this thing done and ready for flight again!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Thomas, looks like the Swastika was typically placed on the rear section of the fuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ho...onian_rear.jpg

Not trying to pick at you by any means. Just trying to help in case you wanted to be as scale as possible.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

Hey Thomas, looks like the Swastika was typically placed on the rear section of the fuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ho...onian_rear.jpg

Not trying to pick at you by any means. Just trying to help in case you wanted to be as scale as possible.

The americans painted the Horton in the 50's after the war, so everything about that plane paint and color is effectively wrong.

Thanks for the help though
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Really? No kidding. News to me. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM
invertmast

Yeap, they actually installed the plywood sheeting on a good bit of the outer wing panels as well. I believe it was only about 70% completed when it was captured. This is some of what is giving the smithsonian such a hard time deciding what to do as far as restoration or preservation.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are trying to figure out a way to save the original panels, but are having a hard time due to the way the plywood is delaminating. They found that several different types of glues were used during the process and attribute this to the lack of materials towards the end of the war. As of yet, they have not come up with a method to salvage the original panels and the project has been put on hold last I heard.

Casey
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 AM
invertmast

After modifying the Robart nose strut, i finally got the 4" Dubro big-wheel mounted to it. It was about 1/8" to narrow for it to just be a simple bolt on job, so I had to bend the trailing link portions of it outwards to splay around the tire and then back inwards to the axle.

Then I installed the strut to the nose gear unit. And come to find out with the larger retract unit, it now interferes with the steering servo so i need to fix that issue... always something!

Then i took the steel wool to the airframe to begin the weathering process. It took off more of the paint from the flite-metal portioned than I would of liked, but after awhile it, i began to like it. So today it will get the dirty wash and i'll start getting all of the good stuff installed again.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 AM
invertmast

Dirty wash and exhaust staining done!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Very nicely done.  Really "pops." 

Any thoughts about detailing the cockpit?

Whit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.