Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Arf templates

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arf templates

Hi All, This some thing that I've thought about for a while now ,but will now ask and see what happens, with all the arf's now,and and crashes that happen, how about we as models start taking these crashed planes and templateing the surviving parts and post them here to help others such as I , that will rebuild a discarded arf that is not to badly damaged but the owner won't or can't fix.
I have a hangar 9 p-47 that only has the firewall, and second former missing right wing saddle and a banged up leading edge were the wing mounts , really easy fix.
Got the cowl and other parts I needed of ebay and copied top flites templates from the manual and blew them up to the right size.
Should work, looks about the right size, But if we start some thing here we might be able to get a stack of template to build the whole plane at some point , ARF p-47,p-51,p-40 CMP's 109 wing ribs ,lots of people have asked for those, and so on, how many discontinued planes are we seeing latlely, wow. Just a thought .
And if and when my p-47 goes in I'll do what I just asked from you guy's . May help more than just one guy,And may help get some people building to fix their bird ,you never know.

So If anyone has a template of the hangar 9 firewall , 2nd lower former/wing mount, and a wing saddle , please let me know . Or I'll just go with what I got and make it work.

Thanks
Joe
Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Arf templates

Sounds like a good idea only thing is how do one make templates of glued parts. If someone had a crash and lets say left wing and nose is smashed but right wing and tail aft trailing edge is good, how do you go about making templates of the right wing and tail without destroying ? Now what could happen is folks before trashing good parts of crashed planes they could announce on here in a separate forum maybe called CRASH PARTS and put them in categories , Warbird, 3D, Heli etc. Cause god knows I see good parts in the trash can many times during the summer. I bet this could turn into some thing big. Not so hard to join wing halves or a fuse.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Fabulous idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

I like the crash parts categories idea, For templates what I've done was glue the broken parts back together and make a template, And for wings say it's bashed up pretty good ,you might be able to get a set of wing ribs from the parts of both wings, or a fuse, some one may have the last 5 fuse formers. and someone else may have the other parts .It's when some one is going to trash the plane, why not try and get templates when you can. But again I think a crash part category would work, good pieces and banged up parts so someone could do what they want with them. Thanks for the input guy's

Joe
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want templates from non crashed wings ect simply buy a contour gauge . $they run about $12.00 for the plastic ones and can typically be found in the tile section of lowes , home depo ect .
Get the 12" plastic version as they won't damage your plane