Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Does any company make a replacement electric retract for ESM

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Does any company make a replacement electric retract for ESM

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does any company make a replacement electric retract for ESM

Does anyone know of a company that makes electric retracts that will replace the ESM 30cc size electric retracts? Please help. I just received my V3 retracts and two of the three gear are malfunctioning already. One has quit all together.. Ive a really nice plane that has been sitting for 6 months now and things are no better than the day it was finished back in May. Because of interior space I really am kind of restricted to electrics. Can anyone help?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 AM
damagedgoodes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does any company make a replacement electric retract for ESM

Splais,

I like you have been waiting a long time for the V3 retracts (I have V1 that work but I'm not trusting my airframe to retracts that take nearly a minute to operate) and still don't have them. I have a set of Electron retracts that will dop in place of the ESM ones but the mounting bolt pattern is a tad different (same width but 1mm shorter between the holes on the rails). That's a relatively easy fix. Trouble is they are expensive, but I guess expensive is a relative term when you weigh up the cost of the airframe and your time building it. I haven't fitted mine yet as I was waiting on seeing the V3's which should be in the country any day now and the Electron retracts can be used in another project but based on what's happened with yours I might as well fit them next week when I get the chance.
The Electron retracts are a work of art, very solidly built, and bench testing have been perfect every time. They are over engineered for the 30cc class of ESM planes but I look beyond what they are going into at the present. Choices are limited (90 or 100 degree rotation at the moment) but you can get them in 11mm trunion block so the ESM struts can be used. They run off a 1000mAh 2 cell Lipo. The model mine will go in is the P47. The dimension drawings are on Electron website so you can check depth in the wing first. www.electron-retracts.com and mine are the Er-40 which I ordered as the slower Powerful set for larger models down the track.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 AM
JPate147

You may want to speak with Down and locked, or Dreamworks. D&L will rebuild your existing retracts and Dreamworks has complete sets in three size.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

Can you please let me know exactly wich retract set you are refering to and the specifics of what has happened.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl28673.pdf (2.16 MB, 50 views)
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 AM
splais

VMB,

I just received three of the new V3 motors from TBM to replace the old V2's that had all three gear malfunction on two different sets. I ground tested them several times. From the get go for some reason the nose gear, every once in awhile would do nothing. I tried reseting the screw tension per Ashers memo and "right now" it seems to be working. One of the main gear motors is a mess and completly screwed up, started making all kinds of god aweful noise and now won't work (see link below of video I sent Asher last nght). Steve

http://flic.kr/p/dpHjG7
Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 AM
indycustombikes
My Feedback: (11)

Dont feel bad, I have the v3 retracts for my esm p-39, on second takeoff (not landing) the front threaded shaft snapped, six weeks now trying to get the drive screw replaced from troy built........ so far only empty promises............ Never will I use esm gear, or troy built again.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 AM
splais

I finally said the heck with esm and put my T-6 in the attic until I can afford Robart or some other gear. After 18 months of failures and partial gear landings and 3 or 4 versions of gear I gave had it. The esm gear will never be worth a damn.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM
envallm

Originally Posted by splais
I finally said the heck with esm and put my T-6 in the attic until I can afford Robart or some other gear. After 18 months of failures and partial gear landings and 3 or 4 versions of gear I gave had it. The esm gear will never be worth a damn.
I have a similar story with my ESM F7F tigercat. Swapping out retracts from version 1 to version 3.5. Never sure if my gear will fully deploy in either direction when I fly. Finally, the drive screw snapped on my nose gear and one of my mains just twitches when switch is flipped. Waiting for half a year for troy built to stock parts or replacements. Going to see if VQ warbirds has air retracts that work. Never buying another ESM product again. Most of the guys in my club feel the same.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:43 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your problem is the electrical system Century Jet can replace the electric system in you ESM electrics. It will include a new controller that has a built in delay if you want to delay one gear with the flip of a dip switch. Also can include landing lights. Call Bruce at Century Jet.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 PM
XTRA230
My Feedback: (10)

HI
i have U/graded my P47 H9 to these from HKing They are solid and I no of several others being retro fitted to similar sized Birds They are strong as far as time they are not 1 minute thats for sure

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=49241

Rob