Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Build - New Version CARF P-51 Mustang

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Build - New Version CARF P-51 Mustang

Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Build - New Version CARF P-51 Mustang

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

The standoffs I ordered from PSP arrived so it was time to install the motor. An electric motor can be installed closer to the spinner than a gas motor so the first thing needed was a new firewall. I used a contour guage to get the correct shape of the bottom of the fuse and cut out a couple formers from 1/8th inch aircraft ply and laminated them together with epoxy. I taped a couple of standoffs together to get a length of 3.25 inches and tack glued them to the original firewall. The new firewall was pushed against the standoffs and hysoled in place. This allowed the transfer of the right thrust and down thrust from the original firewall to the new firewall. The next day the firewalls were drilled and the top two standoffs were bolted in place. These standoffs anchor the top of the new firewall and prevent it from moving. Next, the motor was installed using 2 inch standoffs. I also received some 4-40 counter sunk flat head slotted machine screws from Micro Fasteners. I'll be using these to secure the cowl.

Kirk
Hi Kirk, do ou think just two posts is enough to hold the lower part of the second fire-wall? with the amount of torque that you have, I would think that you would need at least a square piece of material there to prevent the nose of the plane from twisting.

Behzad
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 AM
mungrelv8ute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kirk, nice project.

I have the CARF Spitfire and the plan is to go with the Hacker A150-8, that way I could turn the 28" diameter 3 blade prop. I know it's meant to be a 4 blade for the mark 9, but seems that as the kit is a fudged mark 5 anyways...

I will also go with the Bendini sound system. Looking to your build I am going to place my batteries where you have your speaker box. Question is, where are you going to place your batteries?

BR, Gregg
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: DUCMOZ

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

The standoffs I ordered from PSP arrived so it was time to install the motor. An electric motor can be installed closer to the spinner than a gas motor so the first thing needed was a new firewall. I used a contour guage to get the correct shape of the bottom of the fuse and cut out a couple formers from 1/8th inch aircraft ply and laminated them together with epoxy. I taped a couple of standoffs together to get a length of 3.25 inches and tack glued them to the original firewall. The new firewall was pushed against the standoffs and hysoled in place. This allowed the transfer of the right thrust and down thrust from the original firewall to the new firewall. The next day the firewalls were drilled and the top two standoffs were bolted in place. These standoffs anchor the top of the new firewall and prevent it from moving. Next, the motor was installed using 2 inch standoffs. I also received some 4-40 counter sunk flat head slotted machine screws from Micro Fasteners. I'll be using these to secure the cowl.

Kirk
Hi Kirk, do ou think just two posts is enough to hold the lower part of the second fire-wall? with the amount of torque that you have, I would think that you would need at least a square piece of material there to prevent the nose of the plane from twisting.

Behzad
With the front former hysoled to the bottom of the fuse and the two standoffs at the top, basically what I have is a box structure. I'm pretty sure itwon't twist.

Kirk
Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: mungrelv8ute

Hi Kirk, nice project.

I have the CARF Spitfire and the plan is to go with the Hacker A150-8, that way I could turn the 28" diameter 3 blade prop. I know it's meant to be a 4 blade for the mark 9, but seems that as the kit is a fudged mark 5 anyways...

I will also go with the Bendini sound system. Looking to your build I am going to place my batteries where you have your speaker box. Question is, where are you going to place your batteries?

BR, Gregg
Hi gregg,

Thanks. That space was my first choice for the batteries but I couldn't find a good alternative place for the speakers. When I built the speaker box, I adjusted the height so I could use the space under them. I also placed the forward former with enough distance so that the space between the formers could be used for the batteries. The batteries I used for checking the space were four 7 cell 5,000 mAh packs. I'll be using 6 cell packs so they will be a little smaller than the test packs. As the photos show, I can get 2 packs under the speaker box and 2 packs inbetween the formers. I'll devise a way to secure the packs later.

Your Spitfire will be a sweet project.

Kirk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44486.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	1828640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24672.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	1828641  
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
k_sonn

I'm using the 6.25 inch spinner sold by Dino and hit a problem with the fit to the fuse. It fit around the cowl perfectly but did not fit the bottom of the fuse (see the first photo). I fixed this by adding some hysol to the inside of the fuse in the area that needed to be adjusted.I let the hysol cure for a couple of days.Then, using the spinner back plate as a guide, I sanded the fiber glass away until I reached the rough shape needed. Filler will be used to complete the fix.

Kirk

Name:	Ge94803.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	1828644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14613.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	1828645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94577.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	1828646  
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
k_sonn

After fixing the above mentioned problem, I started with the filler. The seam and screws on the cowl that was sanded away earlier was filled and sanded. The seam on the top of the fuse between the cowl and wind screen was also sanded, filled, and sanded. The perimeter around the cowl was sanded in preparation for filler.

Kirk

Name:	Fd90884.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1828647  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
k_sonn

Started the filler work around the cowl. Left side and around the back of the cowl has been completed. Next up is the right side and around the spinner.

Kirk

Name:	Zx71593.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	1829433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69659.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1829434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36660.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1829435  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 PM
k_sonn

Work has slowed me down but I managed to do the filler workonthe right side of the cowl and around the spinner. I need to go back and add small amounts of filler to a couple of areas. The last photo shows how the chin scoop fix turned out.

Kirk

Name:	Yw68426.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	1832100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53476.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1832101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62673.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	1832102  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 PM
john534

K sonn,

....your filler work on the spinner/cowl area is outstanding!!!!!

Really is giving it a look that IMOP needed some attention, I will definitely follow suit on mine

Best regards,
john
Old 02-29-2020, 05:39 AM
[email protected]

have a carf mustang I don't know the c/g measurement or where on the leading edge to measure from please reply if anybody has this information thankyou steve Roberts [email protected] //// 4017418254
Old 02-29-2020, 06:51 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Why do guys come here, rather then going to the manufacturer and look at the manual or call their rep?