ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Subscribe
We sold house in PA an moved to FL. Joined the Ocala Flying Models Club. Great bunch and has a nice paved runway and good field. Of course I haven't flown off of pavement for 10 years so took a little re-education. Finally charged up the Hellcat and took to the field. Got the engine started. Take off was ok, even kept her on the runway, but elevators were to sensitive. Flew around, a little trim. Landed ok on the grass beside the runway. After that, reduce elevator throw by 15% and increased the negative expo by 5%. Also reduced aileron throw by 10%, increase rudder neg expo. Second flight was better. Take off ok. Did loops, rolls, reverses, cuban 8s, etc. Enough power, flying ok, except engine started serging at full throttle. Throttled back and it cleared up. Gear down and half flaps and landed ok. Engine might be a little lean so will richen up a bit.
Bad luck on the Hellcat. After the engine serge I changed out to stronger G-38 that I have. Got to the field later than usual, so it was very hot. Took off ok, then after a few minutes ailerons became erratic. I was banking and applied ailerons to level and nothing, more ailerons and then it went way to far the other way. Very difficult to control. Made a big mistake. Put the gear down to land. Should have just bellied in on the grass. Hit on the mains, broke out the left gear, and bounced, gear took out the wing spar, wing folded and plane snapped at about 2-3 ft altitude. Destroyed the left wing and center section, cracked the fire wall, damaged cowl etc. Tomas a VQ is sending new wings and center section. My custom flaps survived so they can be installed again. Post crash inspection revealed that an aileron clevis was caching on the exit. So aileron movement would stop, but more stick would cause it to force by but then, moved too far. Had enough clearance before on three flights. Maybe the really hot weather caused heat expansion, just enough. I should have had more clearance.

Fiberglass and epoxy and plywood re-enforcement of the the firewall are in the works, the firing the new wing. Also the crank shaft on the engine is bent, but I have a spare in the other engine.

Some planes are no trouble and just keep flying and other seem to have all kinds of unexpected problems.
Hay Mr. RBean,
Sorry to hear of your loss...but it looks like you may just get this one back into the air. I may be talking to Tomas myself and get a new F6F myself. I have the the solid Sierra gear back and its better then new...Darrall did a good job on my gear and just love his work. He is not fast...but it is well worth the wait, for he has the best pneumatic gear on the planet-strong, over built and dependable. I may be talking to Tomas myself soon....
Lets see your rebuild work....
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
I took delivery of the new wing from Tomas at VQ. First order of business was to repair the firewall. Patched the cracks in the fiberglass, cut a template from card board, the cut the firewall reinforcement from 1/4" plywood with a hand coping saw. Got it mounted and contoured. Mounted the engine. Put new plug in the fuel tank. Next is installing the cowl mounts and fitting the cowling. After that is working on the new wing. My custom flaps survived so I will use them again. The hardest part will be getting the new holes in the wing lined up with the pre-exising mounting holes.

100_2061 (1).jpg   100_2058.jpg   100_2059.jpg  

Hay RBean,
Nice work. My F6F fire wall ended up being reinforced after my first runup...and it looks like you now did the same. I also made up some fiberglass...mixed in a lot of milled fiberglass and then with the model upside down...let it set up and dry. When I hit the tall grass on lading...the model fire wall was the only thing really still intact. I was very impressed with the integrity of the repair and how the firewall held up. My fuse was so fractured it was unrepairable.

I may be talking to Tomas myself...and pick up another F6F...for a future build. I loved how mine flew...very impressive in flight and had a solid feel in the air.

Good work...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
I've been working on repairing the Hellcat. Finally have it back together. I got the wing mounted ok, just took a while and some head scratching. Will check over carefully and test fly in the next few days. I'll paint after I test fly. I'll try to get some pictures and video.
Got the Hellcat out to the field Friday. The engine would fire but wouldn't run. Like it was not getting fuel. Gave up. At home found hole in the fuel line just past tubing coming out of tank. Cut off end of line and rerouted fuel line. Saturday, started ran ok. Good high end, good idle. Take off was normal. Gear up ok. Didn't turn either was with flaps down, so I guess I got them on straight and even. Then tried to throttle back to land. Wouldn't throttle back enough. Even with throttle cut off on still to much power. (no remote ignition cut off). Finally pulled gear up, but full flaps. With as little power as I could get, bellied in on the grass. No damage. Plug was gray, indicating lean run. Now needles not having normal effect. Some sort of internal carb problem I think. I'll have to sort this out. Got news is plane otherwise flew fine.
The G-38 is driving me crazy, although for me it may be a short work and not a drive. Can't get it to run. Fires and quits. Cleaned carb. Checked out the fuel tank and plumbing. No difference. Someone told me it might be a weak coil. ?? I ordered a carb kit and will replace pump membrane and regulator diaphragm. I have another coil. I'll do the carb and see if that works, then replace the coil if the carb kit does not work.

I ordered a new DLE 35RA from Tower. $71 off in their Black Friday sale. I've measured and it will fit in the Hellcat. The G-38 weights 74 oz. The DLE with muffler and ignition weighs 41 oz. Add 10 oz 4,000 ma ignition battery in cowl and 4 oz heavy hub, still need 19 oz of weight in front. Guess I'll have to use lead shot and epoxy in front of cowl.

The G-38 is rated at only 2.2 hp and the DLE at 4.1 hp. Almost double the power and since it is a reed valve engine, should handle a bigger three blade prop.
I have installed the DLE 35R in the Hellcat. I built mounting platforms for two 3000ma Nima batteries using steel brackets and also the same for the ignition system. I've converted to a single bolt system with the prop hub from Valley View RC. I have the CG recorded as 120mm at the wing root. I put it on the CG meter, and it is still tail heavy. Needs 9 more ounces at the prop hub to level it. I've seen that Higlely has a Heavy Hamilton Hub with a 10x1.25 thread. It is made of brass and is 1.5 inches in diameter and two inches long. I think it weights about 6 oz so I'll be getting close. I'm going to test run the engine tomorrow, hopefully and order the hub on Monday. The engine fits completely in the cowl except for the exhaust pipes. I've filled in the extra holes in the cowl and glassed the bottom. Here are some pictures of the installation.

100_2076.jpg   100_2077.jpg   100_2078.jpg  

I test ran the engine today with an Xoar 18-10 two blade prop. Started easy. I set the idle. Idle about 1,700-1,800 rpm. After running mid range for a few minutes, wide open was about 7,500 rpm. G-38 turned the same prop 6,700 to 6,900 rpm. So I can expect substantial improvement in performance. Also I expect with break-in the engine will pick up another 100-200 rpm. Good idle, good response and top end.

Next is the quest for a good cg. I have a Beilla 17-10 three bade. Not using it to fly but weight should be close to the Xoar 18-8 three blade I plan to use. With the Beilla prop, the single bolt adapter, a heavy washer, two steel nuts and a True Turn spinner, cg is 125mm at the wing roots. 120mm needs 2 oz more at the hub. I'll be installing the plastic radial with a plywood reinforcement. This should get cg to 120mm.

100_2080.jpg   100_2081.jpg  

RBEAN, I've been sitting on mine for a couple of years now. I've got a 46 Brilleli that now needs some carb work. I'm following your build closely, especially where you end up on CG
The Higley Hamilton Heavy Hub arrived. I substituted a steel washer for the aluminum washer for the prop hub, then used two Higley heavy brass nuts and the Hamilton Heavy Hub. The engine and cowl have been moved forward about a quarter inch. (because of the repaired firewall). This get the CG to 122mm. I have flown the plane at 120mm which was ok, so this is close. With the big stabilizers and elevator, this should be ok. Total empty weight is 18.5 lbs. Hope to fly the plane today or tomorrow.
Hay Bean,
How are you doing...glad to see your ready to fly. I have a rebuilt pair of F6F landing gear for an ESM F6F.....I also have a VVRC twin 40cc gas engine I know I can stuff into the nose. It needs the flippen nose weight anyway...so I am going to call our buddy Tomas and order a new F6F. The VVRC 40 cc gas engine just fits...I will mod the cowl attachment, for the kit version of attaching the cowl does not work, with this engine. I tried to mount it into the model earlier, before I crashed and didn't want to reduce the cowl attachment to mount that twin, so re-installed the PTE 36. This model grooved...and she was gorgeous in the air. I will repaint this one too...but having those Sierra gear on hand, and the gas engine...why not another one.

Do send pictures and keep us posted on the first flights.

By the way...I was told the book figures were set to far aft. I was sent a note and told to move it forward a bit. You measure from the break point on the wing...heading out board. If you measure from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage...you will be out of balance. To find my CG, I measured as the manual stated and amended. 110mm aft of the leading edge, where the wing breaks outboard. I marked this, then ran a 1/16" tape from mark to mark, so I can get an accurate measurement against the fuselage. This is the only way I can use my CG machine to balance this model. It looks like 130mm aft of the leading edge, against the fuselage, will be the CG mark...and what I used. I was told to set the C.G. at 110mm and start from there. There have been reports of the model being a bit tail heavy at the 117mm C.G. location, as stated in the ESM manual. If your not sure...give Tomas a call and I'm sure he may will tell you the same thing. I was sent a note and told to move it forward a bit and what I did.

I will install a retractable tail wheel on his model and I will redo the F6F in U.S.S. Bunker Hill. colors. I have all the retract stuff off of the first airframe, a new engine...and radio. All I need is an airframe and some paint.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Vt58660.jpg   Pn36255.jpg  

Hello Bobby,

I'm measuring cg at the wing root, not using published data. I flew the Hellcat once yesterday. All went well. The DLE 35R started easy and ran good. Didn't do much except fly around and trim. I was a bit windy and gusty. Today is supposed to be almost calm. Good day to refine controls and mixes. I've replaced the 18-10 two blade prop with an Xoar 18-8 three blade. Then its to the paint and finish shop. Not going to paint the whole thing, just touch ups. Don't want to add any weight behind cg, even paint, if I can help it.

Go for it. After all, you already have the retracts and engine. Tomas has some Hellcats in stock, last I checked.

Hellcat was the most successful fighter aircraft of WWII, but very few ARF kits, in fact ESM is the only one I know of. I guess it does not look exciting. But it was an easy flying, capable work horse that did the job.
Dear RBean,
I have sent an e-mail to my buddy Tomas at VQ War Birds and back ordered a F6F Hellcat. He is currently out of stock. I also looked at the F7F...and that model gets my blood going to...but at nearly $2K delivered to Maui....a bit much right now. So I will get a new F6F into my hanger and build a second F6F.

Hanger 9 had a smaller F6F for a while...and I have a .60 size full build kit from Heritage R/C. The company is no longer in existence and an excellent 60" wing span model. Nice fiberglass cowl to and I know one day I will build this model.

Soft Landing Always,
Bobby of Maui
Bobby,

I got to fly the Hellcat yesterday. Light winds, so I got some minor control adjustments made. Elevator control is sensitive. The 122 mm cg is at 28% MAC. Added negative expo (Futaba) helped. Changed to the Xoar three blade 18-8 prop. Looses a little performance compared to the 18-10 two blade, but still ok and better than the G-38. Did all the warbird maneuvers ok and no problem doing large loops. 18-10 two blade turns 7,500 rpm, the three blade 6,950 rpm. This should get over 7,000 rpm with break in. Only four flights on this engine.

The ESM Hellcat and the DLE 35R is a good combination. Only problem is getting cg correct. Next is paint and installing a dummy radial and doing it so the cowl can be easily removed.
Hay RBean
A sensitive Elevator may suggest your may be bit tail heavy. If it was my model and the elevator is a bit sensitive, I would move everything as far forward as possible if I was able to do this. Also...I ended up with my model at 20# 2oz ready to fly. Just a thought....and how much elevator movement do you have up and down? I dialed in neg. Expo too. Just thoughts...
Sweet Dreams Always,
Bobby
It may be slightly tail heavy, but the additional negative expo helped. I repainted the cowl and and flaps and spot painted where repairs were made. Didn't want to repaint the whole plane as it would be added weight behind the cg. Here are some pictures after the trip to the paint shop. Next is adding a dummy engine. Problem is the engine installation is very clean. Only thing protruding from the cowl are exhaust pipes. But with the single bolt mod to the engine, can't get cowl on with the dummy engine unless I cut out cowl behind the exhaust so cowl can be installed going straight back. I'll have to decide. Then small front gear doors, guns and weathering (light). The gear doors will require disassembly of retract, drilling and tapping hole to hold a hinge point on the non-rotating part of the strut, unless I can come up with something else.

100_2083.JPG   100_2082.JPG   100_2084.JPG   100_2085.JPG   100_2087.JPG  

I've added a dummy radial, as needed the baffling. Also substituted steel rods for the push rod tubes as needed the weight up front. Every little bit counts. Added the small front gear doors. Had to remove cowl behind the exhaust to be able to get it on and off easily with the dummy engine. Added gun barrels since pictures were taken.

100_2091.jpg   100_2089 (1).jpg  

I got two flights on the plane yesterday. The DLE 35 started easy and ran great. No trim changes. Plane flew great and retracts worked ok. Total of nine flights on this plane. Finally got her dialed in, I think.
Hay RBean,
Nice to hear your finally putting some flight time on the model. Mine was awesome in the air...! I called Tomas and I am trying to order a new F6F. I have the retracts for it...and engine too. But I keep eyeing the F7F...and I drool all over myself...to the point its getting embarrassing. But to get the F7F model in house with Sierra Retracts (the best retracts made-IMHO) is close to $2K. I can do the F6F for $6 Mr. B's. Yet, I do have a match pair of DLE 20RA engines in house...Unless some one wants to buy my ESM F6F pneumatic Sierra rebuilt retracts...? I had a gear down, hit the tops of tall grass landing that totaled my F6F...and ripped the gear out of the wing-split the wing in two.. I was slow, with full flaps and a little power in...when the !#$%& grass jumped up and grabbed my model-I just hate it when that happens. I sent the landing gear into Sierra...and he rebuilt them for me and sent them back.

As soon as I hear from Tomas...I will pick up an new airframe.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Bobby, I'm still interested in your Sierra gear. PM me
Hay Warhwk,
I sent you a PM.
Bob Paris
The CG was at 123mm back for the leading edge at the wing root, 28% MAC. Elevators sensitive. So I finally resorted to putting some lead shot (mixed with epoxy) in the lower lip of the cowling. About six oz. CG is now 115mm back 26.5 MAC. I hope to get a chance to fly tomorrow and see what difference this makes. Total empty weight is now right at 19 lbs. So my verious repairs and the lead have added about a half pound to total weight.
I got two flights on the Hellcat today. The extra six oz of lead helped the with pitch sensitivity. Didn't get a video, but here are some pictures at the field after the flights. I recommend cg of 115mm at the root. It works for me. This is 26.5% of MAC.

100_2095.jpg   100_2097.jpg   100_2098.jpg