Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Fieseler Storch 1/4 scale Paolo Severin build - scale additions and detailing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Fieseler Storch 1/4 scale Paolo Severin build - scale additions and detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Charlie, Thanks for your interest and comments.
1. Paolo told me the model was not sensitive to CG just as per full size and he recommended anything from 11-20cm from the leading edge slat. I ended using about 13-14cm which I found gave a more positive rate of descent on landing with throttle low. I found a rearward CG made it harder to loose height as the the model wanted to float on. The variable tail incidence can be used to compensate for any CG instability , which brings me to your second question.

2. For my initial flight with the original more rearward CG, I set the incidence as per the plan, i.e zero. The model needed down elevator to trim for level flight at half throttle. So by setting a small amount positive incidence at the leading edge (as suggested by Geotz) I was able to bring my elevator trim back to near neutral. With some more weight in the nose, I found I could reduce the stabiliser incidence closer to zero but I still have a degree or two at the leading edge. So I think where you end up will largely be determined by your CG/power setting.
3. I m not sure this is model that should have or need a Gyro but its a matter of personal choice. I would not say it was unstable in yaw, certainly not my experience, but this is no sleek pattern ship either! I have heard of some ARF Storch models in the past with poor handling and flight but nothing about the SEVERIN 25% Storch.
4. As I have said before, this is a very relaxing model to fly, almost walking pace if you want, yet is stable, turns are easy and positive even with aileron input only, very little yaw. You can use or mix in some rudder which makes the turns tighter and better looking. Stall turns look great. Flaps are very effective and the model will balloon without a good dose of down elevator. Really you do not need them but for a short strip landing and take-offs they make all the difference. Also I found it helps to mix some down elevator with throttle as you would expect with a model of this type and such large wing,The model would seem to emulate the full size in every respect of it's STOL flying characteristics. Check out this video and I think you will be impressed at the models flying ability on a 38cc engine.

Video Fieseler Storch mit Titan ZG38 und Getriebe

I hope that these comments help. Best of luck with your model and maiden flight.
Ed