Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Planes of Fame airshow 2013

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Planes of Fame airshow 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Planes of Fame airshow 2013

Another round of action shots.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pictures Chad! It was great meeting you and getting you into the Wildcat. It is amazing what we sent young men into battle with in World War 2. That was cutting edge technology back then.

Wayne
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chad,

Thanks heaps for posting the pic's mate. Love seeing them.

Especially impressed with Boise Bee the P-51C and how it has been painted in a satin finish instead of the "maintenance friendly" gloss you normal see on warbirds. I know, I know, it's not mine and the owner can do whatever they like, but it's great to see them in a somewhat more representative finish! fantastic!

Thanks

dave
Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chad,
Any info on the Judy?
Chuck
Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Chad,
thanks for posting all the great pictures.
I'm for voting we take all the money we give to foreign countries that don't like us and investing it in restoring old planes
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: warbird51

Great pictures Chad! It was great meeting you and getting you into the Wildcat. It is amazing what we sent young men into battle with in World War 2. That was cutting edge technology back then.

Wayne
It was a pleasure meeting you as well Wayne and thanks again for your graciousness. Sitting in the Wildcat was definitely one of the highlights of the trip for me! By the way, did you get my email pertaining to the R-2800's per chance? No interest?

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Especially impressed with Boise Bee the P-51C and how it has been painted in a satin finish instead of the ''maintenance friendly'' gloss you normal see on warbirds. I know, I know, it's not mine and the owner can do whatever they like, but it's great to see them in a somewhat more representative finish! fantastic!
The P-51C was stunning Dave and it alone would have been worth the trip. It's too bad the museum's A model Mustang was down with oil cooler issues as it would have been great to see the two high-back 'stangs in the air together. Next year!

Here is the P-51A during the 2010 show.

ORIGINAL: samparfitt
I'm for voting we take all the money we give to foreign countries that don't like us and investing it in restoring old planes
I'm with you Sam! We could sure use a historic flight in this country such as they have in England with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: R8893

Chad,
Any info on the Judy?
Chuck
The Judy belongs to the Planes of Fame and is something of a mixed bag. Due to the rarity of the airframe and their desire to keep as much original metal as possible the museum decided not to make the aircraft flyable as it would have meant replacing much of the original structure. However, in order to make the airplane taxiable they replaced the original liquid cooled engine of the D4Y1 with an American radial to make it appear as a D4Y3. Personally I'd rather have seen it restored static with the original engine or made flyable with the radial rather than something half way in between but nobody asked my opinion! For whatever reason the airplane was not brought out of the hangar on Saturday until just shortly before its taxi display and I did not get any really good pics of it, sorry. Here are a couple more so-so pics.

Here are a few of the unfinished airplane from last year's show. The airplane was put together rather hastily and is pretty rough up close to be honest. Never the less it is a rarity (understatement) and I was very happy to have the opportunity to see it.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Chad Veich

A few more odds and ends.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Chad Veich

Since the 2013 show featured the P-38 there was much talk about the rarity of the type and particularly so flying examples. While that certainly is true there were a substantial number of other types to be seen in the air over Chino which were as rare or more so. In some cases much more so. The N9MB flying wing for example. Only three N9M aircraft were ever built, one crashed during testing, a second is on display with the NASM, and this is the third. Fantastic to watch perform but tough to take pictures of!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chad, thanks for the info on the Judy.
Chuck
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would really like to build a 80-90" N9MB
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
JRMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad, Those photos of the N9MB are Great!!!
To have seen that in person sure must have quicken the pulse.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great pics. Chad. Did you by any chance get any of the B-24 that was there? I saw it go over the house (along with a B-17) but I was unable to make it to the show. A flying buddy of mine has a lot of time in one of those ( 50 missions out of Italy) and was able to go through the one at the show.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM
US185Damiani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great photos Chad!
thank you!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks again for all the remarks guys and it is my pleasure to post the pics. I still have a few more to go through so stay tuned for another round soon.

ORIGINAL: JRMS
Chad, Those photos of the N9MB are Great!!!
To have seen that in person sure must have quicken the pulse.
I've had the opportunity to see it fly at just about every PoF airshow for the last decade JRMS. I always stop and take note when it flies to remind myself of how unique a sight it really is and that there is no other place in the world where one can go and see such an airplane perform. Beyond the sight of it the airplane also has a very unique sound from the two Ranger engines buried deep in the wing and running the pusher props through drive shafts. It's pretty loud actually!

ORIGINAL: stang151
Great pics. Chad. Did you by any chance get any of the B-24 that was there? I saw it go over the house (along with a B-17) but I was unable to make it to the show. A flying buddy of mine has a lot of time in one of those ( 50 missions out of Italy) and was able to go through the one at the show.
No B-24 at the show stang151. There was a PB4Y Privateer which is the single tail patrol bomber version of the Liberator. Pictures of that one are on page one of this thread. It is possible that you saw the Collings Foundation B-24 and B-17 as they were touring southern Cal at the time but they were not at Chino for the show.