Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Old 03-15-2020, 06:50 AM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Big step completed with the gear and doors complete!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:57 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon,

I'm enjoying following your video. The attention to detail in installing your gear doors paid off. They look and work fantastic.
I've assembled two of these planes and both are still in operation. As you noted, the plastic parts paint was done poorly, without any preparation and peels off quite easily. Even just from simple vibration from the engine running. Two points, I'd like to pass along,

1. Make sure you reinforce the wing dowel pins as described much earlier in this thread. Several pilots have had catastrophic failures due to the pins breaking free in flight.
2. On my first plane, I used the recommended set up of one flap servo and the Y linkage. After burning through two servos I finally threw in the towel and used two servos, one for each flap. And I have had no issues ever since with the flaps.

All the Best,

Oriole
Old 03-22-2020, 02:35 PM
Canadian Man

Originally Posted by oriole View Post
Jon,

I'm enjoying following your video. The attention to detail in installing your gear doors paid off. They look and work fantastic.
I've assembled two of these planes and both are still in operation. As you noted, the plastic parts paint was done poorly, without any preparation and peels off quite easily. Even just from simple vibration from the engine running. Two points, I'd like to pass along,

1. Make sure you reinforce the wing dowel pins as described much earlier in this thread. Several pilots have had catastrophic failures due to the pins breaking free in flight.
2. On my first plane, I used the recommended set up of one flap servo and the Y linkage. After burning through two servos I finally threw in the towel and used two servos, one for each flap. And I have had no issues ever since with the flaps.

All the Best,

Oriole
Thanks for watching and I appreciate the comments/suggestions.
I will take a look at the wing dowels for sure and definitely suggest to the owner that we go with a 2 servo setup!
Old 03-22-2020, 02:36 PM
Canadian Man

Last video of the build. Now onto the weathering!

Old 03-28-2020, 06:55 PM
Canadian Man

Old 04-03-2020, 08:07 PM
Canadian Man

Old 04-18-2020, 07:52 PM
CFITG

Default Aileron pin hinge depth guide

Hey everyone,
Iím finally getting around to fixing my Corsair from a landing mishap. IM on the wing portion and need to glue in the
hinges for the ailerons. I cannot find my original one anywhere. Would anyone know the depth of the pin hinges into the aileron?
thank you
jason.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:27 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I recall ( mine is already buttoned up ) that the Robart style pin hinges were about 1 1/4 " into the aileron....but not 100% sure.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:13 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old Corsair is hanging in there....6 years old and just sent in my G62 for tune up/fresh up to BB specialties,

I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW OR USED CENTER WING SECTION and COWL!

And leads appreciated!

​​​​​​​
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 PM
heirmeistr
My Feedback: (2)

The only problem I have had with this plane is the center wing section. One day I noticed the leading edge was cracking and starting to split. I have been told that this has happened to others. So I highly recommend reinforcing the leasing edge with resin filled with fiberglass shavings before its too late. The other problem I had was one of the mains ripped out after landing from turning the aircraft. Seems the gear is mounted to heavy duty wood blocks but these blocks are held in by 1/8" ribs. I would recommend reinforcing this area too!

Old 07-24-2020, 05:03 PM
spitfire66

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of you who modified the tailwheel spring, did you find a specific one to order or did you use what you had laying around? I need a softer spring for sure.

i have 2 nib corsairs and the first one I ordered over 5 years ago has terrible quality in the center section. The other is fine. I will modify the bad one with wood and carbon fiber and dowel rods that go through the center spar. I didnít know what I was looking for back then when I received it or I would have sent it back. Iím glad I waited. Iím certain it would have failed.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Canadian Man

Maiden flight happened!
Couple things we upgraded before the maiden.
Better Single Flap servo.
The tail actuating rod switched out to a carbon rod.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:25 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Well Done!

Love your field. A runway that goes on forever... great for flying heavy warbirds.

Oriole
Old 08-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Canadian Man

Originally Posted by oriole View Post
Well Done!

Love your field. A runway that goes on forever... great for flying heavy warbirds.

Oriole
Yea it's awesome! It's a great place to fly in general but a perfect place for maiden's as we mow about 1200ft of area plus there is the over runs of the full size run way which adds about 900ft of longer grass in both directions.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:15 AM
irek

Beautiful model plane, I admire your work
The following users liked this post:
Canadian Man (09-09-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:50 PM
spogosyan

did you have to modify the firewall for the fg90r3
Old 08-07-2020, 04:37 AM
kevarc

Originally Posted by spogosyan View Post
did you have to modify the firewall for the fg90r3
I used the engine box from KELEO or CH ignitions now. The box worked very nicely and was easy to install!
Everything aligned perfectly!
Kevin
Old 12-02-2020, 04:38 PM
heirmeistr

I damaged my tailwheel and was hoping someone has one to sell. Part #HAN476024.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2021, 11:39 PM
Mein Duff

Well it only took me 5 years , on and off, to get my Corsair bashed to the earlier Birdcage version F4U-1.
Stripped own and fiber glassed, vacuum formed my own sliding canopy and framework, Covered the open wing bays with Solartex and wooden battens like the earlier version.
Painted with Behr Outdoor Latex, lots of weathering. Running Zenoah G-62 for the next year and then hopefully upgrading to the Saito FG-90 ( when my ship comes in ...lol )
Any tips on take off and landing this beast... Flaps on take off ? Full flaps on landing? are the gear doors holding up well with flimsy hinges from Sonic-Tronics? ...etc.
Maiden in a few months.

Any flight and landing info. is appreciated !
Thanks, Eric

The following users liked this post:
Fly2XS (02-12-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:41 PM
Mein Duff

Mr Matt... Just curious where you got hos heavy duty gear door hinges ??
Thanks, Eric
Old 01-02-2021, 02:20 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (359)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Outstanding work- congratulations and good luck with the maiden..
- Mike O.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Very nice!

No flaps on take off. Slow application of power and let it pick up sufficient flying speed, don't pull it off the runway with elevator, it should lift off when its ready.

Landing with full flaps, on the mains, you will need plenty of power on final to overcome the drag of the large flaps and front gear doors, let it settle on the mains and cut power and let it slow down to nearly a full stop before you try to turn it.

It gets a nice groove on approach with the right power setting.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:48 AM
heirmeistr

Looks fantastic. I have a second one still in the box that I plan to strip and glass as well but there are two things that I feel need modification first. I'm reinforcing the leading edge of the center wing panel as it will crack and split. I'm also going to reinforce the main gear landing mounts. The rails are heavy duty wood but are attached to thin balsa ribs. Guess which gives. I recommend you make these mods before you fly it if you haven't already. I bought my first Corsair pre-built without gear doors. The builder said he kept burning out the servos. I never bothered to put them in myself on this plane so I have no advice there. My current Corsair has electric retracts and I have had problems with them especially the tail. I'm going to put in pneumatic retracts in the second bird. I have the Saito FG90 in mine and it is always a crowd pleaser. Good luck you will enjoy it.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:42 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

G-62 and that plane were made for each other.

that variant had bomb mounts, when loaded with them it would use flaps. while on std load (carrying no bombs) it would not use flaps. it also had wing tanks which would only be filled on long distance missions and it might use flaps if they are full, but I cant tell if the wing tanks are full or not from picks.

as for the model I always takeoff with no flap assist but that is because of me not the model. I forget they are down, retrim, then realize what I did when prepping for landing.

landing - it does not need them (flaps). I used full flap and a lot of throttle. best to go down and dirty and fly around a while (Traffic patterns) to find the right throttle setting for you. mine needed no extra e hold when flaps were down so if the throttle is correct it will tool around with the same E hold you would have with that throttle setting clean. in wind I could do steep dives to final.

it needs rudder co-ordination, in cross wind at scale speeds it will wag its tail. I put a gyro in mine to stop that but did not like it and removed it. full tilt w g-62 no wagging.

it flys like a trainer with lots of side area, till it reminds you its not.

good luck! its a lot of fun

Joe
Old 01-04-2021, 01:38 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mein Duff View Post
Mr Matt... Just curious where you got hos heavy duty gear door hinges ??
Thanks, Eric
Hi Eric,

If you are referring to the main doors, those are just heavy duty robart hinges. Tower sells them. They are fine but I modify them to make the doors easier to remove. If you meant the tail doors, those hinges that I 3d printed (not scale, I used offset hinges)

Your plane is beautiful, especially the -1 canopy. How did yours balance? I flew mine in primer, I always do that. No nose weight, but it needed 2.5 ounces of tail weight (!) to balance, so hopefully after I paint it it wont take too much nose weight to balance.

I would say not too much expo on the rudder, you need to use the rudder quite a bit and if you get the expo wrong, it does not feel that natural in yaw response. THis is just from 2 flights. It did not need any other trim, even with that mess of flaps (I modified those too, to make all of the flaps removable for painting and maintenance)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.