Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
lol this coming from the guy that took a CARF P-47 ARF/Kit and added a-bazillion rivets!!
Your a Horizon Team member Greg take the lead on this and show your customers how its done!
Actually, as Greg being a Horizon Team member, I think what he did to his Corsair was perfect. 90% to 95% of people who buy this Corsair will not have the skill, time, motivation, or whatever to strip, glass, and scale out their Corsair. What Greg did was show others that you can take an out-of-the-box ARF and with little effort, make it better.

Kirk

Last edited by k_sonn; 11-14-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Kirk!!!

No i didn't hear that you got the sabre back. I'm just now trying to sell a couple of bvm jets so i can build myself a bigger Sabre.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC001242.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2047346   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2754.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	695.0 KB
ID:	2047347  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately for me, I'm not happy with the covering on two separate fuses I have now. Also, under the covering the factory dented in a whole bunch of areas on the balsa sheeting and clearly didn't sand some of the glue lines between balsa sheets.

I know this isn't "the" most expensive ARF on the entire market, but for Hangar 9 it's a top of the line product. I would've expected more... I was hoping to have decent enough covering on my ARF to leave it as it came... but now I almost have to strip the covering, sand and level it myself and re-cover or I'll be staring at all the imperfections versus enjoying the model.

Kind of a shame... the 2nd fuselage I obtained, the sheeting on the vertical stab is so thin on one side if feels almost like there's nothing there as you can push it in and out with only the pressure of your pinky. Arg... a little frustrating. I really wish the quality of these would pick up a little bit.

Last edited by chorner; 11-14-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Greg!
Did you spend an extra 30 minutes to Sharpie in the panel lines before hitting it with the Lustercote?

I did that on a P-63 1/12th scale combat fighter in 98 that looked terrific (until the mid-air).

Scott

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
I'm just finishing mine up as of today, I just need to spray the blue canopy frame with the same flat lustercoat clear so it all matches, then it's complete.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Greg Wright

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
Looks great Greg!
Did you spend an extra 30 minutes to Sharpie in the panel lines before hitting it with the Lustercote?

I did that on a P-63 1/12th scale combat fighter in 98 that looked terrific (until the mid-air).

Scott
Scott,

Unfortunately i did not go that far with the details. I just shot the clear on it.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:09 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyfever
if i wanted to cover the entire wing and forget the openings what would u guys suggest. i was thinking of fliteskin expensive but i heard good things. when glassing the fuse did u drape one piece over the whole fuse or do the tail piece seperate ? this would be my first glassing project and dont really like the covering

While I have used flight skin on my Byron F16. You might as well just fiberglass it

I just glassed my first war birds TFG P51.

Just get 2 boxs of zap finishing reson. Some MEK to thin it with and 1/2 oz coth from eBay
Old 11-14-2014, 06:05 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
Thanks Kirk!!!

No i didn't hear that you got the sabre back. I'm just now trying to sell a couple of bvm jets so i can build myself a bigger Sabre.
last I checked Thomas wanted five months for delivering one. Although I am patient, couldn't wait that long so will wait for Kirk's F86��
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Greg Wright

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
last I checked Thomas wanted five months for delivering one. Although I am patient, couldn't wait that long so will wait for Kirk's F86��

This is ok for me to wait the five months for this plane. I already have an F-86 like Kirks flying so waiting for this bigger one won't kill me.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 AM
trickpony4
My Feedback: (14)

Finally got to maiden my F4U last weekend. Flew it twice, not much video of it actually flying, but it sure sounds great! At least I think so. :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPYVcyl0HRE
Old 11-16-2014, 10:21 AM
ashworthb

Originally Posted by trickpony4
Finally got to maiden my F4U last weekend. Flew it twice, not much video of it actually flying, but it sure sounds great! At least I think so. :-)
Congrats on your maiden! What prop are you using (I assume your engine is an Evolution 777)?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM
trickpony4

Originally Posted by ashworthb
Congrats on your maiden! What prop are you using (I assume your engine is an Evolution 777)?
Thanks! I have a Biela 22X12X3 on there, but I have a Mejzlik I will run next time. Faster spool up and more rpm also. The engine is the Saito 84cc 3 cylinder gas radial, that I sent to Ray English to have modded.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 PM
jonyfever
My Feedback: (5)

Awsome looking plane and the engine sounds amazing is the plane glassed or is that the original covering
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 AM
trickpony4

Originally Posted by jonyfever
Awsome looking plane and the engine sounds amazing is the plane glassed or is that the original covering
This is the covering the plane came with. I love the sound of this Saito, especially at an idle. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 AM
k_sonn

Congrats on the maiden. Sounds awesome!! I'll be installing the same in my Corsair. Do you have any photos of the engine install?

Kirk

Last edited by k_sonn; 11-18-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 AM
trickpony4

Kirk, as you can see, I don't have any good pics. With the exhaust ring, to keep from having to cut on the firewall, I spaced the engine forward some. You can see I also spaced the cowl forward to keep from having to cut the cowling out for the valve covers. I still have to cut out just a little for them on cylinder #3.
This arf is set up for a G62, but with this Saito, I did not have any lead on the plane to CG it. It flies great, and it'll be more fun when I get over the nervousness. :-)

I found that with spacing the cowl forward, that changed the geometry for where the cowl bolts need to be. I put some 440 bolts in the cowl backwards, place the cowl on, and that showed me that I had to put aluminum brackets behind the oval shaped holes in the stock cowl brackets, to extend them out maybe a quarter of an inch. I also moved the engine back a quarter of an inch from what these pics show. This was due to the fact that the "Hi end" carb adjustment screw was right in the middle of the firewall. Now, the choke and "lo end/choke" adjustment is in front of the firewall, and the hi end is behind the firewall. I carefully placed aluminum tubes in the side of the engine box to access those holes, using the small adjustment/choke tools that comes with the engine. I mounted my ignition box on the bottom of the engine box. Hope something in this post will help. :-)
BTW Kirk, if you hadn't found it already, there is a template in your engine manual for the cutout in the firewall, that you'd need for the carb.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	1455
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	2048341   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	1163
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2048342   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	1101
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	2048343   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	1192
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2048344  

Last edited by trickpony4; 11-18-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:18 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Really??

Dude, that's a misdemeanor. RCU is full of grammar FELONS! Even my 9-year-old catches them when he's reading the threads over my shoulder. THERE instead of THEIR. TO instead of TOO. My personal favorite.... the use of an apostrophe to pluralize a noun. It's like ground glass in the eyeballs sometimes!
Oh and don't forget Your & You're Shaun

S
Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 AM
smaze17

Originally Posted by kalzone
hi everyone this is a view from the cockpit of my corsair. my corsair is powered by the eflight power 360 with a vairoprop that is 22" and pitch set to 18pitch.top speed with the radar gun was 140mph with zero wind today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESv...ature=youtu.be
Very cool Kalzone! Beautiful cockpit too
Old 11-18-2014, 08:49 AM
k_sonn

Kirk, as you can see, I don't have any good pics. With the exhaust ring, to keep from having to cut on the firewall, I spaced the engine forward some. You can see I also spaced the cowl forward to keep from having to cut the cowling out for the valve covers. I still have to cut out just a little for them on cylinder #3.
This arf is set up for a G62, but with this Saito, I did not have any lead on the plane to CG it. It flies great, and it'll be more fun when I get over the nervousness. :-)

I found that with spacing the cowl forward, that changed the geometry for where the cowl bolts need to be. I put some 440 bolts in the cowl backwards, place the cowl on, and that showed me that I had to put aluminum brackets behind the oval shaped holes in the stock cowl brackets, to extend them out maybe a quarter of an inch. I also moved the engine back a quarter of an inch from what these pics show. This was due to the fact that the "Hi end" carb adjustment screw was right in the middle of the firewall. Now, the choke and "lo end/choke" adjustment is in front of the firewall, and the hi end is behind the firewall. I carefully placed aluminum tubes in the side of the engine box to access those holes, using the small adjustment/choke tools that comes with the engine. I mounted my ignition box on the bottom of the engine box. Hope something in this post will help. :-)
BTW Kirk, if you hadn't found it already, there is a template in your engine manual for the cutout in the firewall, that you'd need for the carb.
Thanks for the photos and the info. I'm waiting on the collector ring from Keleo. I ordered it 6 weeks ago so hopefully it will arrive any day. Once I have the collector ring, I'll send the engine to Ray for the update. I had already planned on moving the cowl out because it doesn't sit where it should. The cowl flaps should not cover up half of the exhaust.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 AM
smaze17

Originally Posted by DOC
1st Flight very successful !
Beautiful Doc! sorry if I missed it but which motor are you using?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM
trickpony4

Originally Posted by k_sonn
Thanks for the photos and the info. I'm waiting on the collector ring from Keleo. I ordered it 6 weeks ago so hopefully it will arrive any day. Once I have the collector ring, I'll send the engine to Ray for the update. I had already planned on moving the cowl out because it doesn't sit where it should. The cowl flaps should not cover up half of the exhaust.
Ray ususally has those Keleo exhaust rings there at his place. No waiting and no shipping. He charges the same price too. When my engine came back, the ring was installed, ready to go.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:30 AM
k_sonn

Ray ususally has those Keleo exhaust rings there at his place. No waiting and no shipping. He charges the same price too. When my engine came back, the ring was installed, ready to go.
I found out about Ray having the collector rings but I had already placed the order with Keleo and paid for it so I didn't want to cancel.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by k_sonn
I found out about Ray having the collector rings but I had already placed the order with Keleo and paid for it so I didn't want to cancel.
It's been awhile since I dealt with Kelvin directly but he was always good to work with especially if any glitches come up. Have you told him the engine is going to Ray? I suspect that if you get ahold of him and explain your situation, he'd be willing to work something out for you?

And yes, the engine will come back from Ray with the exhaust ring installed because Ray runs all the engines when he's finished putting them back together. Ray is also responsible for the changes made in the Keleo ring to make it fit better and be easier to install.

Just a thought.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
jonyfever
My Feedback: (5)

Does anybody know if a da 50 will fit inside the cowl without cutting it up. If so what do u guys think of the power it will provide ? Enough
Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys, hopefully someone out there can calm my nerves. I've finished my corsair with a EME 55cc. I was trying to balance tonight and ran out of weights. I'm thinking I'm going to be around 4-5lbs of lead up front which I would assume is going to be pushing the AUW to 30lbs +\-. My question is for the guys who are actually flying the plane with a 55. How does it handle the plane? Are you at full throttle to keep it in the air, or are you happy with the power?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:52 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

jonyfever, a fellow flyer at the club has a DA 50 in his H9 60cc Corsair, it fits with lots of room to spare; the cylinder heads just barely pokes out the bottom of cowl. The DA 50 has plenty of power, at full throttlle it flys above scale speed; he usually flys it with the throttle set between half and 3/4. I really enjoy sitting back and watching that beautiful gull wing Corsair put through its paces!!

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.