Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Old 08-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohnson80 View Post
I have about ten flights on my Corsair now, and I really enjoy it. I went with a good old G62, OEM muffler, 22x10 Mejzlik prop, and an old set of Robart air retracts I had from a Byron corsair. Nothing fancy, but I do use the thin oil that BVM sells for the air system, and no problems so far. I also did gear doors, went with four servos (one on each main door) and used a matchbox. No issues there so far. Each trip to the field I seem to remove a little more nose weight, perhaps the published CG is conservative? Also using just one JR8411 on the flaps, and dont see any problems so far. I got my drop tanks to release the other day, which was cool and the kids at the field loved it!

Herc- sorry to hear about your troubles, but I just wanted to share my experiences. My only real complaint is the covering, ten minutes in the sun and its a mess. But honestly I have never had good luck with dark colors of ultracote.

Brian
Brian,
I have almost the exact same set up with G62, air retracts, etc. I set my CG at the 130mm make and have four flights, it seems a little nose heavy (I have 3lbs 5 ounces on the firewall) total weight of 31lbs 5 ounces.
Question: where is your CG now that you have removed some of the intial weight as you indicated?

Todd
Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM
njmheli

Originally Posted by camss69 View Post
Whoa!! 37.5lbs? Is that the number the Xicoy gave you or did you weigh it separately?
Hi camss69.

Yes,that's the reading from Xicoy..............had my glasses on aswell

I will be weighing all the "parts" in the morning ( on a different "scale",but pretty sure it will be the same !! ) and will post those results,along with photo's of the Xicoy read-outs.........

I still can't believe that weight,mmmmmmmmm the morning will tell..?

As far as power choice is concerned,I have a 7-77 ( converted to CDI,with petrol....only been running on test stand at the moment ),but I had the option with the 84,with a good price ( except for the RE conversion ),so I went that route............just sounds so good !!!

The 7-77 with CDi glow and a good nitro content,will be good,as chorner has tested already..................

Has anybody looked at the wing loading figures of their builds..?

Regards...................Nick (UK).

Last edited by njmheli; 08-18-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 PM
njmheli

HI Todd.

Did you manage to sort out the problem with your "centre section" and the pulling of the surface...............just curious..?

Regards...................Nick(UK).
Old 08-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

Chroner,

Thank you for your input on the TW actuator. I'll definitely get inside the little bugger and make sure things are as they should be as I'll probably lose my mind if another has issues.

Nick,

I like what you've done with the mains. Before I send these back, I'm going to go over them myself and see if I can improve upon them as you've mentioned and maybe prevent a long wait for a replacement. Your Corsair is gorgeous! If we were to redo our scheme, it would have been exactly as you have done. The green just sets it off without making it too different from the traditional scheme, IMO. Bravo!
Oh yeah, I knew better than putting the weight in the cowl, but with batteries and servos all over the motor box and firewall, there wasn't many other options. I realize this is most likely why my cowl came loose on the last flight. More attention will be paid to this in the future.

cams69,

Go for the Evo and convert it to ignition! If I could gain another 500 rpm as Chroner did, it would make a huge difference.

As for the weight, I really don't think the extra will be too much issue. It really does fly fine at 32+ for me anyway, but the engine needs to be up to the task. In our situation, a poorly propped engine was most of the problem. The Evo gains tons of power once broken in. Once you get used to the tail hanging when it's dirty and begin to get comfy with it's speed threshold, it becomes natural when you need flaps, etc and will slow down more than you might think.

This vid is after about an hour run time. Now with the same prop it will turn about 6200 on the ground...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CEk3kbYCf0
I appreciate all the input. I admit I was more frustrated than not when posting my report last night, but you have given me some hope that there are solutions out there.

Much appreciated,

Herc
Old 08-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Todd D

Originally Posted by njmheli View Post
HI Todd.

Did you manage to sort out the problem with your "centre section" and the pulling of the surface...............just curious..?

Nick,

I fit a couple of larger diameter aluminum washers down the bolt hole and felt confident enough for a few more flights over the weekend which were successful. I removed the center section again tonight and don't see any difference in the holes from the initial flights, although it does still make me a bit uneasy.
I'm thinking I will open up the rear portion of the center section, the slanted part that fits to the fuse, with a couple of thin "slots" that would allow me to separate the "bolt insertion tubes" from the bottom of the hole, through the slots I would slide and epoxy in a large fender washer with a 1/4 inch diameter hole to assist in the distribution of the load. That would certainly ease my mind on the topic.
Any thoughts on that plan?
Todd
Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 PM
njmheli

Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
Nick,

I fit a couple of larger diameter aluminum washers down the bolt hole and felt confident enough for a few more flights over the weekend which were successful. I removed the center section again tonight and don't see any difference in the holes from the initial flights, although it does still make me a bit uneasy.
I'm thinking I will open up the rear portion of the center section, the slanted part that fits to the fuse, with a couple of thin "slots" that would allow me to separate the "bolt insertion tubes" from the bottom of the hole, through the slots I would slide and epoxy in a large fender washer with a 1/4 inch diameter hole to assist in the distribution of the load. That would certainly ease my mind on the topic.
Any thoughts on that plan?
Todd
Hi Todd.

Sounds like a plan to me..............question is,did you see what may have been causing this...? Each time I bolt and unbolt the centre section,I'm looking for a similar problem .
When you can do that bit of "surgery",try to get some photo's of what is inside........probably be difficult..?

Let us know how you get on...

All the best and thanks.....

Regards.................Nick(UK).
Old 08-18-2015, 06:31 PM
njmheli

Hi Herc.

Appreciate your comments.............thanks

With regard to the "Robarts",that yoke is a must to change.............pretty sure that there are US suppliers of a steel machined yoke............from memory,I think it was "affas" in this thread who came up with a name for a UK based supplier...........?

The evo sounds great,I must try mine again,with the "gas" conversion,it is pretty responsive,and the only prop it has run on ( apart from quite a few hours of break-in ) is a Biela 22" x 10 x 3BL.I have a TopFlite Giant Corsair,about 80% finished,will probably use it on that,when finished !!!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:57 PM
njmheli

Default Final weight and c of g before I get the maiden done.

Hi All.

I decided to do a "late-night / early hours final set-up on the Corsair............I did weigh the "components" using a luggage digital scale,these were the results ( prior to adding a few more gm's ) :

C of g set at 130mm.............according to Xicoy.

Fuzz.................9.580Kg ( 21lb 2oz approx )
C/Section.........4.5KG1lb (9lb 15oz approx )..........with gear doors and 4 x servo + pylons
Port Wing.........0.820Kg (1lb 13oz approx )
Std Wing..........0.800Kg ( 1lb 12oz approx)
Lipos................0.705Kg ( 1lb 9oz approx )

Total by luggage scale = 16.405Kg.. or 36lbs 3oz approx......

The Xicoy is giving me 37.61lbs.................so I guessing that the luggage scales are a little out.When I remove the Corsair from the "pads",the tares are all zero.......

The photo's below show the set up and a couple of the inside of the fuzz............the "yellow" bottle is my fuel tank,sitting where the air tank would go,capacity is the same as stock tank.
The "black" stretched elastic between the main gear,is the datum point I need for the distance between the centres of the pads for the main wheels and the centre of the tail wheel..............on my Corsair the main wheel centres fall exactly on the leading edge ( plumb lined down ).

Can't take any weight out now !!!..........I would be interested in hearing the weights of those using the "Keleo" F/W box conversion for the 84..?

Regards.................Nick (UK)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fin1.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2115367   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin2.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	2115368   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin3.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2115369   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin4.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	2115370   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin5.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2115371   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin6.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2115372   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin7.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2115373   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin8.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2115374  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fin9.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2115375   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin10.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	2115376   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin11.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	2115377  
Old 08-19-2015, 10:40 AM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
Brian,
I have almost the exact same set up with G62, air retracts, etc. I set my CG at the 130mm make and have four flights, it seems a little nose heavy (I have 3lbs 5 ounces on the firewall) total weight of 31lbs 5 ounces.
Question: where is your CG now that you have removed some of the intial weight as you indicated?

Todd

Todd-

I set my CG to the book, and have removed about 4-5 ounces. I think I could remove another 4-5 ounces and be fine. I have not checked the CG since the weight was removed, just kind of taking small steps and back to the field to see how it feels.

Brian
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Nick-

Great job on the install! Love the clean look.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Todd D

Originally Posted by bjohnson80 View Post
Todd-

I set my CG to the book, and have removed about 4-5 ounces. I think I could remove another 4-5 ounces and be fine. I have not checked the CG since the weight was removed, just kind of taking small steps and back to the field to see how it feels.

Brian
Thanks Brian, I have a 5 ounce piece that can be easily removed. Think I'm going to try that.

Todd
Old 08-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Todd D

Hi Todd.

Sounds like a plan to me..............question is,did you see what may have been causing this...? Each time I bolt and unbolt the centre section,I'm looking for a similar problem .
When you can do that bit of "surgery",try to get some photo's of what is inside........probably be difficult..?

Let us know how you get on...

All the best and thanks.....

Nick

I cut the slots in the back of the center section and found this. As we suspected theres a piece of ply that runs across the back that the bolt hole tubes are secured to. Where the tubes are connected to the ply piece theres a small thin round piece that supports them. I used a dremel to make the slots and then cut the tubes loose from the little round piece using a hack saw blade. Then I used a thin file to remove the little round piece that the tubes were attached to. I wrestled with a few options on what to do to reinforce the area around the hole and ended up using a piece of 1/8 ply. I cut it to fit in the slots and marked the 1/4 inch hole location, drilled the hole then made sure the whole thing fit back on the fuse. Once satisfied with the fit I lathered up the ply pieces with epoxy and bolted the assembly back on the fuse and let it dry overnight. I put some vaseline aroud the holes to make sure I didn't glue the center section to the fuse. I put some aluminum washers down in the holes and CA'd them in place to the ply and the tubes. It all worked out well and I'm confident that I don't have anything to worry about there anymore.
All this may not have been necessary but I'm going to sleep better knowing I did it. Only took a few hours.
I'll probably just cover the little slots with some blue covering since the area can't been seen when the plane is assembled.

Name:	IMG_0279 (800x600).jpg
Views:	474
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	2115804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280 (800x600).jpg
Views:	455
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	2115805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281 (800x600).jpg
Views:	462
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	2115806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282 (800x600).jpg
Views:	460
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	2115807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284 (800x600).jpg
Views:	459
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	2115808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285 (800x600).jpg
Views:	468
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	2115809  
Old 08-20-2015, 03:42 PM
njmheli

Hi Todd.

Well done,looks like you managed to get in there ok and sort it out !!!...bit of covering as you suggest and all gone....... Still wondering what may have caused that,your center section mounting to the fuzz is ok and no excessive gap there..? ..............or do you think that you may have over tightened those two bolts ( with,I guess you said two spring lock washers initially...? ),and caused the wood to crush down and hence weaken it...? Stresses after flying on a weakened area....?

Got to find out what the cause was just out of interest..?..............look at mine every time now after attaching and un-attaching,( hasn't even flown yet !!!!)..quite a few times now, as previously said.

So,you can get a good nights sleep now !!!

Thanks for your up-date and photos...................great stuff.

Regards......................Nick(UK).
Old 08-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Todd D

Hi Todd.

Well done,looks like you managed to get in there ok and sort it out !!!...bit of covering as you suggest and all gone....... Still wondering what may have caused that,your center section mounting to the fuzz is ok and no excessive gap there..? ..............or do you think that you may have over tightened those two bolts ( with,I guess you said two spring lock washers initially...? ),and caused the wood to crush down and hence weaken it...? Stresses after flying on a weakened area....?

Got to find out what the cause was just out of interest..?..............look at mine every time now after attaching and un-attaching,( hasn't even flown yet !!!!)..quite a few times now, as previously said.

So,you can get a good nights sleep now !!!

Thanks for your up-date and photos...................great stuff.

Regards......................Nick(UK).
It's hard to say what caused it. I'm going to lean towards over-torque on my part at some point. The wing seems to fit fine in the fuse saddle. I don't recall anyone else having a similar issue so its likely that's what caused it, although I don't know when it may have happened.
Your trim scheme is way cool and I see that Cali Graphics does that one. I may have to put that on mine over the winter here.

Thanks for the support, good luck with your're first flight.

Toddd
Old 08-21-2015, 05:11 AM
chorner

Nick, are you ever going to fly your bloody plane man?? haha We're all waiting!
Old 08-21-2015, 12:11 PM
njmheli

Hi Todd.

Thought it may be the "over-torque" of the bolts..............all repaired now !!!

I did get the graphics from "Callie",but I did buy two sets of the graphics ( a wise decision !!! )............the graphics are great,nice quality and at a good cost.Those particular graphics are ( in my case ) pretty hard to get correct on the airframe,this is because ( in a word,they are "flat" ),they cannot take into account the various "curves" and "angles" that the airframe has,where you want to place them...........This is overcome by the use of ( I found out ) having another set to cut and use for the awkward places........still had quite a few "bubbles" to contend with !!! so I think my "skin" in some areas is well ventilated with "pin-holes" !!!!

Took some time to get it looking to how I wanted it to.............cowl was pretty hard to do as it is tapered,fuzz,behind the cockpit,also presented a few problems,easiest part was the lettering and "stars" !!!.........wrap round the flaps a nightmare !!!............but in the end I am pleased with the end result...

So a great "winter" project for you...............but do order TWO SETS...........Callie should have the size info on file from my enquiry to her

Hope all you flying goes well.............

Regards..................Nick (UK).

Last edited by njmheli; 08-21-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM
njmheli

Originally Posted by chorner View Post
Nick, are you ever going to fly your bloody plane man?? haha We're all waiting!
Hi Chorner.

Yes,I am !!!! I just tend to be a bit "methodical" and take my time,ensuring that all is good and no problems can come up and bite me.........I'm eager than you all to get this 37lb+ bird into the air,believe me !!!

The last test I have to do is the 84 run-up in the Corsair,not run it since it has been mounted !!! I have tested my "raised" fuel system on the stand,all good and no feed or fuel siphoning problems..............so all being good,hope to run up the 84 in the back garden ( weather here in my part of the UK for Saturday looks to be HOT !!! )

Will let you all know,when the dead is done !!!!..........

Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM
njmheli

Default XICOY v's Vanessa..........results are perfect !!!!

Hi Guys.

Well,needed to see if what cost me a lot of 's ( here in the UK ) is as good as something that costs a few pence !!!

I decided to risk "stringing" up my 37lb+ bird ( garage beams more than capable to carry that load !!! ),wow it is heavy,when pulling on a thin nylon rope,managed to get the Corsair hoisted up about 1/2" of the floor.( safety mat underneath...........just in case,good old "reef knots"holding all up !!! )

The results I got from the Vanessa are spot on with the Xicoy meter..............so pleased with that ( puts my mind a ease....),still a worth while investment (IMO),Vanessa as good as she is can't give me the AUW..........

I decided,whist she was hanging in mid air to check all the gear action and also to see how far the c of g moves with the gear in the UP position....all gear,main and tail working 100%,together with release of bombs.............So all done in that department,more boxes "ticked" off..........

On my Corsair,the c of g position as set at 130mm ( gear down and level ).... moved to 140mm on gear UP...............so a AFT move of 5mm..........

I have done some short video of all the action,will post those links............if I can get it correct !!!!

See the photos below............NOTE : No Corsair was damaged in the process of Vanessa checking !!!......

Regards...................Nick (UK).

Name:	finalv1.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2115952   Click image for larger version

Name:	finalv2.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2115953   Click image for larger version

Name:	finalv3.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2115954   Click image for larger version

Name:	finalv4.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	2115955   Click image for larger version

Name:	finalv5.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2116054  

Last edited by njmheli; 08-22-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:54 PM
njmheli

Hi All.

These are the YT links............Sorry for the not too good video,think I may have had some "dust" on my lens !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-Vmih02So

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl6SvzE1vFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj9_eXpvJbw

Regards....................Nick(UK).

Last edited by njmheli; 08-21-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 AM
njmheli

Default More YT clips............

Hi Guys.

I managed to get some engine run-ups done today,along with one run with my Evo 7-77 on the test stand.My mate,Mark was on hand to help..........so gave him the Tx and I did the camera work.............Sorry again for the not too good quality of the videos....( even cleaned the lens this time !!! don't know why some come out ok ish,others not so good,quality is 100% perfect on my iPhone "playback"....Oh well,you get the idea.............

So all now ready for the maiden,need to get this done asap......( get chorner off my back !!! lol )

These are the YT links :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQdrnhtlgnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvWErmRF9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZPUnki2Kw

Regards................Nick(UK).

Last edited by njmheli; 08-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:35 PM
chorner

Nice!!! That's awesome let us know how she flies, you must be pretty excited and probably a bit nervous. I know I was
Old 08-24-2015, 04:29 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Just replaced my tailwheel assembly....the new one works much better (the first one on the last 50 flights is a piece of crap! Glad I swapped it out with a new one from HH.

Also redid my sliding canopy (my 4th one) anyone have a fix other then servo's or sliders to control it....?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by CaptRKO View Post
Just replaced my tailwheel assembly....the new one works much better (the first one on the last 50 flights is a piece of crap! Glad I swapped it out with a new one from HH.

Also redid my sliding canopy (my 4th one) anyone have a fix other then servo's or sliders to control it....?
HH? If it is Horizon hobby how is it different? I agree the original leaves something to be desired. Mine failed after 3 flights. Managed to fix with mods and have 11 flights and no further problems to date.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Mein Duff

Originally Posted by CaptRKO View Post

Is there a tail wheel assembly part number we can order from HH ??
Old 08-27-2015, 07:42 AM
fun2fly24

My dad has one with the saito 3cyl radial. It flies great. If only the engine was reliable lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.