Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron/Century Jet retract Drop in replacement

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron/Century Jet retract Drop in replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron/Century Jet retract Drop in replacement

Hello fellow Warbird Pilots,

I recently inherited a 30 year old semi-constructed Bud Nosen Mustang complete with Byro Drive and Byron/IronBay pneumatic retracts. I am opting to retrofit some of the old school stuff for the latest and greatest goodies of the day.

Many options are available in motors since the days of the screaming Rossi 60 turning its guts out to drive a 24" 4 blade prop.
There is also new electric retracts comming into vogue.

I am currently looking at Century Jet for a drop in electric replacement retract for the Byrons. I would also really like to be able to turn a big Solo 4 blade prop. To be of a scale size the prop would have to be of the 30" variety but I think there will have to be some allowances made to accomodate the proper power to weight motor. I am leaning towards the ZDZ 90 and maybe a 24ish Solo prop tuned to the proper pitch.

I would like to hear your thoughts on resurecting this old "War Horse".

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Byron/Century Jet retract Drop in replacement

Sierra gear with a Down & Locked conversion to electric. Expensive, but worth it.

A dream engine would be the scale Merlin being built by Authentic Scale Engines. It is a real V12, liquid cooled, scale exhaust, and supercharged!!!!!! It uses a little stock off-the-shelf motorcycle radiator!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 AM
RC11

I'll take the Merlin! Maybe 4 of them in a Lanc would be cool!

Check out the Klassen Widowmaker. 4 Cyl and Ducted fan cooling with scale 12 port exhaust! WOW!!! $5000!

Still working with Century Jet. How much for converted Sierras?

RC
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC11

I'll take the Merlin! Maybe 4 of them in a Lanc would be cool!

Check out the Klassen Widowmaker. 4 Cyl and Ducted fan cooling with scale 12 port exhaust! WOW!!! $5000!

Still working with Century Jet. How much for converted Sierras?

RC
Not sure on the 1/5 scale P-51 Sierra gear. He has done a ton of them. I just purchased 1/4 scale Zero Sierra gear for about $600. The conversion would cost around $350 for the mains, I would think.

I consider quality reliable gear as damage control for an expensive scale bird.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick -

Go for it!

You will like the airframe - good flyer. Make sure the tail is sturdy enough to handle high flight loads with a modern engine.
The original Nosen design has very light elevators. Be careful - I know from experience.

I have Sierra gear in my latest one, and they work great. You will have to design in your own retract rails.

Current one from our updated plans, and one of my old ones from the past.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95551.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1883423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68908.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1883424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98063.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1883425  
Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: RC11

Hello fellow Warbird Pilots,

I recently inherited a 30 year old semi-constructed Bud Nosen Mustang complete with Byro Drive and Byron/IronBay pneumatic retracts. I am opting to retrofit some of the old school stuff for the latest and greatest goodies of the day.

Many options are available in motors since the days of the screaming Rossi 60 turning its guts out to drive a 24'' 4 blade prop.
There is also new electric retracts comming into vogue.

I am currently looking at Century Jet for a drop in electric replacement retract for the Byrons. I would also really like to be able to turn a big Solo 4 blade prop. To be of a scale size the prop would have to be of the 30'' variety but I think there will have to be some allowances made to accomodate the proper power to weight motor. I am leaning towards the ZDZ 90 and maybe a 24ish Solo prop tuned to the proper pitch.

I would like to hear your thoughts on resurecting this old ''War Horse''.

Thanks much,

Rick
You already have the gear that fits, why spend extra $$$? Just send them to Mitch and he'll convert the ones you have and there will be no question as to mods to making them fit.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 AM
RC11

Thanks for all the input... This is my first really big one and all of your experience and advice will be considered."A smart man learns from someone elses mistakes"

The Mustang came with Byron pneumatics I really want to go with the new electric stuff. I did talk to Mitch at Toledo and he wasn't real thrilled with all the plastic in the Byrons,
so I did some shopping a few isles over. Bruce Sanders with Century Jet took one look at the old Byrons and fell in love, well he liked them alot as they are unused and antiques.
He is looking to replicate them in metal and then elecrfify them.

I am hoping for a "drop in fit".

I'll keep you posted

Hows about motors..
I looked at the new DA 100 twin, ZDZ90 and the new DLE 85. I would really like to be able to turn a 4 blade Solo prop.It would also be pretty cool with a functioning Keleo exhaust.

As I said, your experiences and advice are really apreciated.

Thanks much,

RC
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

The solo props really only look good. Performace is crap from them IMO, and unless you put huge amount of excess power in the plane, i doubt youd be happy.

A dle/da opposed twin wont fit in the nose either.

If it was me, id go with a kohlm il135 4stroke twin inline. Its around $3k right now and you can get it from vogelsang aeroscale. Get the one with the 270* timing and it'll sound better than anything else at the flying field!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robart made a replacement gear for the Byron's Mustang. Of course the legs would be far too short on a Nosed Mustang. Sierra has plenty of Mustang gear available in multiple sizes.