Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Foamie Warbirds?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM
loves nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foamie Warbirds?

First off Id like you guys to know where Im at in this hobby. I just started to fly with an instructor in April useing a Hangar 9 Alpha .40 trainner, I also have a Super Cub, and a Parkzone T-28 Trojan (the big one) that I fly by myself when the instructor is'nt around. Im doing real good with the Alpha .40, but not yet comfortable enough to fly it by myself. I've got six full flights with the Super Cub, and two full flights with the T-28 Trojan, with no problems, I've taken off, flown and landed them by myself with-out incident (no crashes), but I don't fly by myself if the wind is over 10 mph, not yet anyway. Im under no illutions, Im very new, and have so very much to learn, but I'd like to get a world war two warbird, rather than spending alot of money for a Top Flight, or Hangar 9 warbird, I thought it might be best to learn on a foamie, my question is, are the foamie warbirds more forgiving than the nicer balsa planes? Also I know Parkzone makes really good foamies, and support is second to none, but I have read that Dynam, FMS, and Freewing plane are heavier, which I think might make them easier to fly in higher winds, than the lighter Parkzone planes, am I right about that? My favorite warbird is the Corsair, but from what I've read, and been told, they can be very tricky to take-off, and land,as well as the P-51, I like the new Parkzone FW 190, along the Freewing SBD Dauntless, and FMS Stuka. So Im sure you guys are getting what Im asking, if you guys think Im on the right track, can you recommend a foamie warbird given my abilities? Any info/opinions will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Foamie Warbirds?

I have the new Parkzone FW 190 A8. It has some great scale details on it, and flies like a dream. I'm waiting on the Eflite 74° retracts made for the plane and the servorless ordinance drop(new release)
I've only got about four flights on mine so far, but I did shoot video using my go Pro head cam so if I get a chance I'll try to post it for you

Casey
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A corsair is actually rather easy to take off. Its got a decent gear stance(landing legs spread far enough apart). The P-51 is even easier as is an fw-190.

The ones to stay away from at your learning level would be those with narrow gear like the ME-109 or a P-40. The Stuka has narrow gear also, although its a tad easier to deal with then the me-109.

The Parkzone planes all fly well and are designed to. The newer PZ fw-190 is a good choice and there are replacement parts available at most hobby stores or online. PZ also has a corsair of decent size.

The FMS, Freewing and Dynam line of warbirds are all pretty good. The FMS is the top of the pack for foam warbirds in the 55+" size wingspan area in looks and details department. However, the FMS fw-190 has a rather complicated landing gear setup and there are weak points in the assembly....maybe they've fixed that since I got mine a year ago.
Nitroplanes carries the Dynam brand.
Bananahobby has the FMS and freewing.
I don't care for Bananahobby as a company. They don't have a good track record with customer service and shipping can take longer then it should. I myself haven't had problems getting what Ive ordered, but others have.
There are other places to get FMS and Dynam planes like www.pw-rc.com. They are overseas, but top notch customer service and carry all the spare parts you could need.

For the Corsair, I would suggest this one..good size at 56" wingspan:
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...a1fa0ae38ae25b
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

www.Motionrc.com is in the U.S. and sells FMS now. The good thing about fomies is they a cheap and easy to repair. If your flying the Trojan ok, then I bet you can fly other fomie warbirds. Get yourself your favorite Corsair and have fun flying it, you'll be fine. If not, like I said, easy to repair
Aaron D.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM
loves nitro

Thanks for all the good advice, I greatly appriciate it, Motion RC is only an hours drive from me here in IL, Im going to get the FMS V3 F4U Corsair, I think tomorrow I'll take a ride to motion RC for it, and while Im there I want to talk with some one there to find out if that plane has any problems that need correcting, and what the fix is, since it's an improve model, maybe I'll get lucky and the plane won't have any bad issues. The plane should do well in medium winds 10-12 mph, as it's a little over 5lbs.
Paul
Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
stevegauth30

All I can say is stay away from dynam unless you like poor quality and even worse customer service. Not trying to start a big thing, just my experience. Never again. I really enjoy the fly zone select scale corsair. Great plane and good price
Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM
kahloq

I've not had any issues with dynam or Fms. The quality of the planes far surpass the flyzone planes. However, every manufacturer will have some quality problems now and then....these are mass produced in factories in China.....just like 99% of all r/c planes
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM
stevegauth30

I've never had an fms, but the two dynamos I bought were horrible. I have two fly zones that I love. Every one is entitled to an OPPINION like that's just mine.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM
kahloq

No need to be rude and capitalize opinion...spelled with one P. No one said you cant have an opinion.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM
stevegauth30

Wow, I wasn't trying to be rude, or capitalize opinion. Simple mistake. Sorry you took it that way.i was simply stating my experiences.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
kahloq

As did I and you took it as an argument instead of another person's experience with the same brand. As I said previously, there will always be someone that's dissatisfied with any particular brand and find faults and those are the ones that usually make a point of saying something on a forum.
Yet there are many happy people for any given brand as well.

You made blanket statements about the Dynam brand based on only two examples of your own but didn't even say what was wrong other then low quality without quantifying that. These are all cheap china made foamies and if you expect perfection your in for a shock. Most people understand that.

Anyway... OP you'll find a lot more information on peoples experience on Dynam, FMS, parkzone, etc in the electric warbird section of Rcgroups. This subsection on rcu is generally geared considerably more towards larger fuel powered planes...or at least planes large enough to be powered by such. Very few people post about electric specific planes here, so you're much more likely to get a balanced viewpoint over at RCG about them.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 PM
bullittrob

not a big fan of the foam look up close but a few feet away some look ok,..,heres my pair of 1700mm span fms p47s,.,.the razorback is a conversion I did,..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96256.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1895731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52097.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1895732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69590.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1895733  
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 AM
kahloq

Excellent work and it looks really nice. I'm not a p47 person, but still kudos for making it look good.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Me410

My 2 cents on Dynam

I just bought the Dynam Me262 foamy. I was very disappointed with the quality.
Both EDF units had been run at the factory, the fans blades were not properly aligned and the cut into the housings and bent the fans, yet they made it into the box sealed in plastic bags. The hobby shop did get me replacement Dynam fans and I transfered and aligned the motors and they work now.

The front gear wheel was drilled at a crazy angle and wobbles a huge amount, I replaced it with one of mine.

The battery and both speed controls go inside the fuse, but there is no cooling air flow anywhere! I made air scoops and air exits to get some cooling.

You must glue the engine nacells on and once you do that you will not be able to replace the aleron servo should it fail. I made changes to fix that.

The lowest tack best quality painter type masking tape still pulls the factory paint right off.

Softest foam I have ever see in a foamy, a light tough puts in a dent.

Several parts glued by the factory were not straight.

The outside push rod tubes to the elevators must have braces made up or they will flex.

I have yet to fly this as I am still working on it. The landing gear is plastic so I better land perfecteach time.

My friend bought the Freewing Me262 for more money but it is a much better thought out ARF and quality looks better throughout.
I know, I should have bought a Freewing, but the Dynam was available locally so i picked it up thinking, how bad can it be?

Tom
Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 PM
kthmarks

The Parkzone P47 is an EXCELLENT flyer.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 AM
kahloq

Regarding the dynam me262...I don't own that one, but a forum friend does and has a pretty good blog about it on rcgroups. Lots of good info on it. BTW, in the looks department, the dynam is more scale looking. The Freewing canopy is the wrong shape and those massive cheater holes on the nacelles look horrible.

Here's that dynam 262 blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1823989&pp=100

The guy that did that blog on the dynam also has the $2500+ airworld 79" fiberglass me-262. He knows his stuff.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 AM
kahloq

One thing I forgot to mention about the Freewing me-262 is that while is DOES have flaps, they are split flaps. The real me-262 did not have split flaps, but normal full cord flaps on both sides of the nacelle.
Many of those that bought the Freewing replaced the odd shaped canopy with the one from dynam(spare part) to get it to look better.
The Freewing is also a 6s setup while the dynam is a 4s.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Me410

Thanks for the link Kahlog, It didn't want to work but i think I found it. Started by JPbrimmer?

just started reading it today, but flew my 262 on the weekend.
It flew very well, but 2.5-3 min was all I got with a 5000 4 cell. The ESCs and battery were very hot after the flight.
Even with my added cooling, it still needs more.

Function trumps good looks in my book, learned the hard way.
Out of the box, these Dynam 262s would burn up. I will get the cooling sorted out.

It did look very cool though.

Tom
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
kahloq

Had a similar problem with the old gws me-262. No provision for battery cooling. I could fly maybe 4mins on a 3s 2100 and 5 mins if I paralleled two 3s 1350s together......but in both cases, the batteries were very hot and puffy. Still have this plane, but never fly it.

I have the airworld 79" composite me-262, so buying a smaller foam dynam or freewing would merely be for kix.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as a creator of dust and wood chips I prefer to build my planes, but I was in my LHS and one of those FMS foam planes,the Mustang, came in to the store, and it looked pretty good for a blown foam model I was impressed I would consider getting one for a knock around have fun plane I was surprised how large it was when someone says foam planes I always think tiny little model but there getting larger with the more powerful engines the performance is also getting better as well.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 PM
bullittrob

im a big fan of large scale petrol / gas warbirds,.,.,.but I do have several mid size foamies,.,.,.to be honest they fly the same in my book,.,.,if the detail is added can also look almost as good,.,.,.some guys on rc groups have taken the 1700mm fms series to a very high level,,,just because its made of epo foam don't mean it cant be taken seriously,.,.all models are nice in their own right,,even some of the little rubber band powerd ones,,,.,.i know plenty of large scale guys that have some foamies,.,.,.,.