Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GSP F4u Corsair/ Engine size?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GSP F4u Corsair/ Engine size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 10:02 AM
LOWNSLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSP F4u Corsair/ Engine size?

I just purchased this ARF. I read the review on this plane here and it sounded like a good plane. My question is what would be the correct engine for this plane? An RCV90sp was used in the review, however the kit calls for a 120. Should I go with the RCV 90 or 120 sp? What are the plus/minus factors of each engine for this kit? Help! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: GSP F4u Corsair/ Engine size?

I owned one,only put 3 flights on it then sold it to pursue my love for jets .I bought it already built- rtf with a OS108 2stroke.This much I will tell you,dont know what it is about corsairs, but they dont need a monster of a engine up front.I have owned a WM corsair too & it had a 91 4stroke.That sucker was so friggen fast/squirrely with the 91 that it was uncontrolable at full throttle.Now on my GSP I had the os108- flew it very fast too,great engine on it! More speed/power than you'll ever need on this bird.I'd say if you are choosing between the 2 engines you mentioned- I say go for the 120 & just use throttle management.They are very nice flying birds ,no bad habits but I would strongly reccomend 2 things to you go for air retracts as I dont feel mechanicals will hold up for long.And secondly do not leave the plane baking in the sun for too long a period-the covering on the wing will start to deform -I use to keep mine covered on the flight line.Good luck

hope this helps, Steve
Old 09-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I had the GSP corsair and sold it when I finished it because of the POOR quality of the kit. I have since purchased the KMP corsair which in my opinion is a much better deal because it cost about the same as the GSP corsair and it includes the pneumatic retracts. I have installed the YS 110 engine and had to add twelve ounces of lead in the nose for it to balance. I did not like the flap installatoin on the GSP corsair since it is set up for only one servo where the KMP corsair is set up for two servos. You can see my corsair if you go to the KMP corsair thread in this forum. Good kuck.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:50 AM
LOWNSLOW

Thank you both for your replies.120SP it is. As far as quality goes I realize the GSP is not truly scale, however I have to differ with your opinion HELLCAT716. There is nothing wrong with the fit or finish on this model and I am pleased with the overall quality. Glad you like your KMP bird, but I dont recall asking about model quality.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen two of these here. One with a OS 1.08, the other with a Webra 120. As far as quality, the guy with the 1.08 took the extra time to strengthen things here and there and has a nice plane. The other guy just slapped his together and is a piece of junk. So the choice is to spend and extra day or two changing things around or just bring a big bag out to the field. it is a very good flyer.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:19 PM
nauticom

LOWNSLOW
!QUOT! There is nothing wrong with the fit or finish on this model and I am pleased with the overall quality. !QUOT!
I to am an owner of this bird, I got one of the first kits. Decided to go with a Saito 170R radial engine. Then I began to read the hundreds of posts about the many structural issues with this kit. I agree, It is a beautiful looking bird, fit and finish.
My words to you echo the previous posts--fore warned is fore armed. Take the time to clean up !QUOT!under the skin!QUOT! stuff and you will rewarded. A couple examples:
Use a elevator push rod with a Y and connect to each half. Use 2 flap servo's--its easy.
Next, get a roll of 2!QUOT! fiberglass tape from the HD, and epoxy this stuff every where you can get to/reach. Control horns: Use larger style for this model, I have used a combination of Robart, Sullivan(dual) for rudder, flaps, elevator.
You MUST protect this bird from direct sunlight for any periods other then getting in and out of the air. My bird melted/deformed just sitting on my work bench 2 feet away from a lamp-big sag in fus and top of wing.

Cyclic Hardover
My finished Corsair with the Saito 170R radial weights in at 14#. so I'm hoping that 170 will carry the load. Planning on the 170R turning a 16x8 at abound 8500rpm
BobM
nauticom