Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Which Hysol and Where

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Which Hysol and Where

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default RE: Which Hysol and Where

One more thing regarding Hysol, if you want a nice smooth finish wait 'till it is semi-hard then wet your fingers with
alcohol and rub the join ( the Hysol ) to get a smooth finish, don't over do it,
Old 12-12-2014, 02:05 PM
DornierJet
My Feedback: (91)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an old Byron Mig-15 kit that I'm going to start working on. It's the old green fiberglass fuse. Can't remember if that's the epoxy resin fuse or what. Do any of you guys know if Hysol or regular epoxy would be better to use for gluing in bulkheads etc?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 PM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old green fiberglass is a polyester glass. Definitely use Hysol and not regular epoxy. The regular epoxy will not bond to the polyester glass. Even with Hysol you need to rough up the glass with a coarse sandpaper and clean it well with alcohol. I've used Hysol on several older Byron and YA polyester glass fuselages with good success.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 PM
DornierJet
My Feedback: (91)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try and work out a light and effective way to make the horizontal stabs removable. I know these Migs tend to easily come out tail heavy in the build as it is. So we shall see.
Hysol all the way.. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been getting The Hysol 120HP from Grainger for $17.29 each... Not cheap at all but one of the best I have ever used.
I never use the mixing tip, because you do waste a lot, and it will not properly mix it either. I usually mix it with Micro Balloons, or milled fiberglass.
It makes really good filets too. 120 min takes awhile to cure, but you have plenty of time to work with it, and get it just right.
Check your msds info, because it is illeagle in some states, and quite a few countries...If you care about such nonsense.

Rebel
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info on this thread, I've been using flocked cotton as a filler from Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog...ckedcotton.php
"A structural resin filler. The mixture of cotton fiber and epoxy is referred to as "flox". The mixture is used in structural joints and in areas where a very hard, durable buildup is required. Flox is mixed in much the same way as dry micro but only about two parts flock to one part epoxy is required. Mix in just enough flock to make the mixture stand up. If "wet flox" is called out, mix it so it will sag or run. Flox is often used to reinforce a sharp corner. Paint a light coat of pure epoxy inside the corner, trowel flox in to make a triangular support. The flox corner is done just before one glass surface is applied for a wet bond to one surface."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01-14800.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	2054598