Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone build a Gene Barton P 51-B ??

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Anyone build a Gene Barton P 51-B ??

Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone build a Gene Barton P 51-B ??

Hi
I just bought a Gene Barton P 51 -B from a older friend of mine.
I just hope I'm not over my head with this model.
He is a perfectionist...... The wings are balsa covered, stab is finished and tail.
However the rudder is not.
I did get the roll out sheets with it but no instructions on how to finish the rudder.
The fuse is all glass and flawless. The Gene Barton scale retracts and wheels are incredable.
I been searching the net for 2 days now trying to get information on this model with no results.
I been flying a nice Hanger 9 Mustang 150 for a while and thought I would attempt somewhat building one. (The "B" model really caught my interest)
Can anyone please lend a little advice on how to complete this plane???

Thanks Men......

Hoss
Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that this became the AeroLoft Mustang. Search that name. I know at one point there was a build thread on this plane.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Just a note: On full scale P-51s, The rudder, elevators and ailerons were fabric covered. I just use natural colored solartex and paint. Works very well.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hoss, the Barton Mustang was indeed purchased by Aeroloft Designs and is still shown as available on their web site. I used to work for Aeroloft and had the Mustang kit myself but never built it. Unless things have changed over the years there would not be any instructions provided and the plans are probably bare minimum. It was never intended for anybody other than experienced builders for sure!

http://www.aeroloft.com/scale%20jets.htm

Some folks may take exception to the "airplane is easy to fly" statement on the web page! It has a reputation for being something of a hand full for the inexperienced. RCU member FW-190D (Vic Catalasan) has built and flown the airplane so maybe he will see this thread and post some opinions. Just FYI, the ailerons on all Mustang variants were metal covered. The elevators started out as fabric but were converted to metal at some point in the D model production. Many B model Mustangs were converted to metal elevators in the field.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Lil Hoss

Thanks guys for the replys
I spoke to my friend that I bought it from and he said....."There ain't no instructions".
I just hope I can build it or I will have to sell it...
PLEASE keep the suggestions comming in

Hoss
Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have one that I've been not working on a for a few years,,, Correct No instructions,,, you need experience building and knowing how things are done to make it happen. hopefully mine will get done over the winter.

Might be some info that helps you at this link http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...ton-p-51b.html

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 09-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

I built and flown one long time ago, it does fly fine just be careful of elevator throws, too much on mine and lost it on a high speed stall doing a hard pylon turn.

Sounds like its almost completely done except for the rudder. Like others have said you just need to build a profile balsa sheet, stick on the leading edge and ribs and sand it to shape, then iron on covering. Is the formers installed on the fuselage?

Vic
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 AM
Lil Hoss

Hi Vic.....
Do you happen to have any pictures of your finished model?
I am a bit confused on how to blend the tail into the fuse.
I build the rudder last night and it looks good.
I also would like to no how you covered the wigs and tail section.
THANKS Vic...
If you can will you please send a picture to [email protected]

Thanks again

Hoss
Old 09-20-2013, 08:06 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Hi Hoss,

I think I only had one picture, I cant remember if i ever scanned it because it was before the digital age and internet. However I am building another B model designed by Jerry Bates, which of course will be as good or better than the Gene Barton B model, but at 1/5 scale. Here is my build thread
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=18459&PN=1
you can go through it as I started one from plans. You can also buy the Bates plan resize the parts you need to fit your model. He includes details such as panel lines and such. Another option is the Dave Platt mustang plans which might be the same size.

Take some pics, post on here and see where you at on the B-stang would actually help us help you get started on it.

Last edited by fw190; 09-20-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This may or may not be of any use but here is the rudder on a Platt P-51B that I built many years ago. The base is simply built up to match the shape of the rear fuselage. I have some information that may be of some use to you if you're interested. Just send me an email and I will send it your way. [email protected]

Click image for larger version

Name:	Empennage.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	2235148
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearB.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	2235149

Last edited by Chad Veich; 09-20-2013 at 09:28 AM.