Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood (All P-47s Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood (All P-47s Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:44 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duplicator41: Andy those are awesome airplanes. Really nice scale jobs.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks FireBee (Mike)

A new one (Eagjeston's) is slowly being built. All covered in FliteMetal.

Cheers,

Andy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P-47 Eagleston.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	758.3 KB
ID:	2159602  
Old 04-27-2016, 04:40 PM
FireBee

Look how much right rudders he is holding to keep it going straight.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Duplicator41

That's a lot of ponies under the hood swinging that 13 footer. It's fun watching friends at the field taking off their FMS 67" P47's. They swing a pretty scale four bladed prop and the guys that firewall the throttle usually do an immediate sharp left and wonder why.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 04-27-2016, 05:58 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by FireBee
Look how much right rudders he is holding to keep it going straight.
He's not holding it straight...he's S turning so that he can see what's ahead of him.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 PM
tailskid

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And he has a "wing watcher" on his left wing!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Duplicator41

Originally Posted by tailskid
And he has a "wing watcher" on his left wing!
Unlikely he would be "S" turning with a crewman guiding him. Unless he's just hitching a ride.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 04-28-2016, 05:25 AM
radfordc

You're right...he may not be S turning...but, I'll bet he isn't putting in enough power to have to use rudder to correct, either.

Here is how it was done: https://youtu.be/usoXbGD1isA

Taxi at 7:30 and takeoff at 9:30
Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 AM
Duplicator41

Love watching those old training films. Thanks.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 PM
AC2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at most current brotherhood list I will claim #118 I guess...
Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 AM
RRomano158

Hello all, I have a question hopefully someone can answer for me. I have a TopFlite 60 size P47 ARF. I've been working on it on and off for over a year. I stripped off the monocote, sanded it, put a lite coat of sanding sealer, sanded again, used a .7 oz fiberglass cloth and Minwax Polycrylic. I painted it, but it was my first time doing this so the paint job didn't come out as I had hoped, plus I ended up using two different manufacturers paints. I decided to put a DLE 20cc gas engine on it (boy was there a lot of modifications I wish I did before I painted it!!) After attaching the engine all of the servos I checked the center of gravity... my question... is it common to have to add over 20 oz of lead to the front? I couldn't believe how tail heavy this plane is even with the heavy DLE engine. This plane feels really heavy, hopefully it will get off the ground!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:15 AM
radfordc

I put a DLE 20 in a TF 60 size P-47 and it balanced with no additional weight in front. Mine weighed about 11 pounds. I imagine you have a pound of extra weight (mostly behind the wing) with your finish.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is stock with a DLE 20 and it balanced without additional weight.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM
AC2

Romano, can you post some pictures of your finish? I would love to see how it turned out!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:54 PM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RR,
Where are your batteries located?
Can you move them forward?
paul
Old 05-04-2016, 01:06 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoflyer
RR,
Where are your batteries located?
Can you move them forward?
paul
To the OP. Are you measuring the CG per the manual? How about all the respondees to the OP confirm where their CG is and how they measured it? Good luck.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 PM
RRomano158

I can't imagine where so much tail weight came from. I am measuring the COG at 4 1/8" as described in the manual. As for my batteries (two 6.6 volt 1100 LiFe batteries) I had to place them toward the front in order to get the CG to balance even with all of the weights I put on the firewall. I have yet to epoxy the weights in so they don't move. I ended up modifying the top front portion of the fuselage (after I had already painted it, then had to repaint it), I cut out a hatch opening so I could put the electronic ignition control, opto kill switch, and the voltage regulator inside closer to the engine hoping that would would eliminate the need for added lead weight, no such luck. When I initially started this project I was going to add another 1/4" ply to the firewall because the pre-drilled mounting holes where not in correct alignment with the engine mount and direction I wanted to install the engine. Later I ended up cutting out the original firewall and installed a new one with the holes in correct alignment. Guess I should have kept the original idea!

I just weighed it and with all of the electronics both batteries, the engine, the lead weights, and the prop I intend on using it comes in at a whopping 14.2 lbs. If I can figure out how to take some pictures and upload them I'll give it a try. Especially before I try to fly it in case the maiden doesn't go well. And if it doesn't go well (i.e. crash) the next one will be a Hangar 9 P47 which by all accounts looks easier to convert to gas with a top hatch already designed into it.

It took me forever to go through the process of stripping, sanding, glassing more sanding, priming, more sanding, and then painting three different colors plus a flat clear coat (then re-painting the top portion of the fuse) so that I'm a little skeptical on how it's going to fly if it evens gets off of the ground.

I've got an old Hangar 9 AT6 Texan that once had a 4 cycle glow engine in it until the head came off in flight. I was considering on removing the covering on this as it is peeling so badly, and doing the same process, but I would have to sheet the wing, tail and rudder and then do all of the stripping, sanding, glassing,priming, more sanding then painting (what a labor intensive process!). This plane is a feather compared to the P47 though. I have a new Evolution 15cc I was going to put in it.

I've also got two other planes I haven't even started on, one is a Seagull Super Tucano ARF (another DLE 20RA engine for that), and a Top Flight Cessna 182 (a regular DLE 20 for this one). I retired almost two years ago and bought all of these with the intention of flying as much as I could, well I've yet to fly!!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 PM
radfordc

When you started "tweaking" a plane the weight can add up quickly. There is another thread on the TF GS P-47 where a guy says his weighs 36 lbs. Mine weighs 21 lbs.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM
RRomano158

Radfordc,
Is yours a giant scale as well? I'm hoping the DLE 20RA I put on mine will pick up the 14.2 lbs mine weighs. I really don't want to buy a larger engine, and have to redo all of the firewall mounting.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by RRomano158
I can't imagine where so much tail weight came from. I am measuring the COG at 4 1/8" as described in the manual. As for my batteries (two 6.6 volt 1100 LiFe batteries) I had to place them toward the front in order to get the CG to balance even with all of the weights I put on the firewall. I have yet to epoxy the weights in so they don't move. I ended up modifying the top front portion of the fuselage (after I had already painted it, then had to repaint it), I cut out a hatch opening so I could put the electronic ignition control, opto kill switch, and the voltage regulator inside closer to the engine hoping that would would eliminate the need for added lead weight, no such luck. When I initially started this project I was going to add another 1/4" ply to the firewall because the pre-drilled mounting holes where not in correct alignment with the engine mount and direction I wanted to install the engine. Later I ended up cutting out the original firewall and installed a new one with the holes in correct alignment. Guess I should have kept the original idea!

I just weighed it and with all of the electronics both batteries, the engine, the lead weights, and the prop I intend on using it comes in at a whopping 14.2 lbs. If I can figure out how to take some pictures and upload them I'll give it a try. Especially before I try to fly it in case the maiden doesn't go well. And if it doesn't go well (i.e. crash) the next one will be a Hangar 9 P47 which by all accounts looks easier to convert to gas with a top hatch already designed into it.

It took me forever to go through the process of stripping, sanding, glassing more sanding, priming, more sanding, and then painting three different colors plus a flat clear coat (then re-painting the top portion of the fuse) so that I'm a little skeptical on how it's going to fly if it evens gets off of the ground.

I've got an old Hangar 9 AT6 Texan that once had a 4 cycle glow engine in it until the head came off in flight. I was considering on removing the covering on this as it is peeling so badly, and doing the same process, but I would have to sheet the wing, tail and rudder and then do all of the stripping, sanding, glassing,priming, more sanding then painting (what a labor intensive process!). This plane is a feather compared to the P47 though. I have a new Evolution 15cc I was going to put in it.

I've also got two other planes I haven't even started on, one is a Seagull Super Tucano ARF (another DLE 20RA engine for that), and a Top Flight Cessna 182 (a regular DLE 20 for this one). I retired almost two years ago and bought all of these with the intention of flying as much as I could, well I've yet to fly!!
I can't imagine where so much tail weight came from. I am measuring the COG at 4 1/8" as described in the manual.

That's the problem it's 6-3/8 (page 31 of the ARF Manual) from the intersection of the leading edge to the Fuse... the 4-1/4 is from the leading edge at the NO.5 rib I believe. Double check your starting point. If U want I can copy the W&B from the ARF instructions... These are the same point but mesured from 2 differant starting Points. Good Luck Have an AWESOME DAY.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:44 PM
AC2

He is referring to the 60 size ARF not the giant scale ARF

BTW, all the primer and paint can add a lot of weight real fast
Old 05-05-2016, 06:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by AC2
He is referring to the 60 size ARF not the giant scale ARF

BTW, all the primer and paint can add a lot of weight real fast

OOOOP's My Mistake Sorry
Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 PM
AC2

Old 05-06-2016, 09:43 AM
RRomano158

Well, I've decided that 14.2 lbs is "weigh" (get it) too heavy for the DLE 20 to try and lift off of the ground. With 23 ounces of lead in around the firewall I'm afraid that with even if it managed to get off of the ground anything other than a tail gear first landing would be catastrophic. Maybe down the road I'll try and put a DLE 35RA in it (yea when I win the lottery!). I'm sure that would at least handle the weight plus offset the need for any added lead for nose weight. Therefore I'll be removing everything from this plane and ordering a new ARF.

This time I'm leaving it as an ARF and not fiddling with it. Wanted to try the Hangar 9 P47, but nobody around here has it in stock, and Horizon Hobby shows it as being on backorder not due in until late May. Of course I could get started on one of my other two ARF's.

Thanks everybody for your advice!! When I get another P47 I'll post more updates.

Last edited by RRomano158; 05-06-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:42 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by radfordc
When you started "tweaking" a plane the weight can add up quickly. There is another thread on the TF GS P-47 where a guy says his weighs 36 lbs. Mine weighs 21 lbs.
Scale detailing adds up quickly, it is 36lb ready to fly, most ARF are in the 25lb range if you don't scale them out.

TB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.