Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-51 Mustang Brotherhood

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-51 Mustang Brotherhood

Old 02-21-2016, 07:01 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out the problem with the retracts. The air bottle wasn't glued in place and it rotated enough to twist the air line shut. It's always the little things that get you.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:30 PM
George Miller
My Feedback: (1)

Default A very special day one will aways remember

I was in the hobby shop one day about three years ago, and a modeler came in and was looking for special nut. The hobby shop did not have it, I overheard the conversation and mentioned that I did have one at home.

We got talking and he knew who I was. He followed me home and I gave him the special nut he was needing.

His name is Alan Rockey. Just about the nicest person one could ever meet.

Then he mentions to me that he is the corporate pilot for a major company and that one of the aircraft he flies for them is a P-51 named "Daddy's Girl" that won the Oshkosh Air Show the last year for best restoration. Done in one of the highest scoring schemes of WWII

And he says in a casual way: "Would you like to go for a ride in it?"

Of course I say yes, but take the offer with a grain of salt. I appreciate his offer but just don't expect this to happen.

About a month later I get a call form him and he is telling me if I want to go for a ride in a P-51, today is a good day.

"Holy Cow" I am calling a couple of my friends to meet me at his hanger . I give one of them a still camera and the other a movie camera. Sure want to capture this.

I arrive at the hanger and he gives us a complete walk-a-round, showing us the gun bays and everything. Then he tows it out, we get in it, and I am really going for a ride in a P-51 Mustang. He has me hooked up to a head set.

The take off alone was really exciting. What power.

We then fly out and over Fulsom Lake which is east of Sacramento.

When we get over the lake he is asking me if I think I can handle aileron rolls. This is the thrill of a lifetime, and I am going for anything rather it make me sick or not.

So here we are, slow rolls, speed rolls, 4 point rolls, and then various loops too. And then he ask me if I think I can handle some combat maneuvers? Now I will admit, they were a little tough on me, but I did not get sick.

After flying around for a while it was time to head back to the hanger.

Now their hanger is on the Air Force base.

When we got close to the airfield, he is asking the tower for permission to do a low pass. OK !!!!!

Next thing I know we are in a dive, he has pushed the throttle forward, and I swear, when he pulls out of the dive we go the length of the runway and if the wheels were down, we would have been rolling on them.

And then we are landing.

This is one of those things that just doesn't happen to very many of us aviation buffs. I know there are places where one can pay thousands of dollars to go for a ride in one. And I wonder if even that would be a ride like this.

I'll tell you, it is one of the most special days I have ever had. I will never forget it.

Alan and I are friends to this day. And I will never forget him either.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Daddy's Girl I.jpg
Views:	3689
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	2148723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daddy's Girl II.jpg
Views:	3646
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	2148724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daddy's Girl III.jpg
Views:	3870
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	2148725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daddy's Girl V.jpg
Views:	4547
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	2148726   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	3297
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2148734   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	3362
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	2148735   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	3255
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	2148736   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	3301
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2148737  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	3357
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	2148738   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	3344
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	2148739   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	3288
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	2148740   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	3420
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	2148741   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	3245
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2148742  
Old 02-21-2016, 07:36 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:42 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Very Cool!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 PM
AlanRockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tell the same story George...who would be so kind as to let a stranger follow them a half hour back home? Of all the drawers you had you also knew exactly where that Robart fill valve was!
It was a great honor to finally meet the person I had read so much about and a bigger thrill to say I have flown you in a P-51!
I have been a professional pilot for more than 30 years traveling around the world, but can honestly say I have never worked a day in my life...lucky I guess.
I thank you George for living up to my lifelong expectation of who I thought you would be...genuine and interesting as hell!
Cheers my friend
Old 02-22-2016, 06:49 AM
radfordc

I would say that's a pretty good return on investment for a Robart fill valve! Hey Alan....you don't need any other parts do you?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 AM
mikedj
My Feedback: (5)

What a great story! And to have both of you here on the forum makes it even better. Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Old 02-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Lifer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

radfordc,

Going back to your earlier post about the air tank spinning and tying the airline into a knot, well if you remember at last years' Warbirds over Missouri, I was belly-landing all the time. I had the same problem....a spinning air tank.

I came up with a cure: From soft balsa I shaped a cradle that had an inside curve that matched the outside curve of the air tank. I glued the cradle to the floor of the plane, then I sealed the wood with thin c/a then attached some heavy-duty velcro to the cradle and the tank itself. I position the tank and press it down onto the cradle and the corresponding velcro piece. It doesn't move now!

I re-did this to all my warbirds and the problem is gone.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
radfordc,

Going back to your earlier post about the air tank spinning and tying the airline into a knot, well if you remember at last years' Warbirds over Missouri, I was belly-landing all the time. I had the same problem....a spinning air tank.

I came up with a cure: From soft balsa I shaped a cradle that had an inside curve that matched the outside curve of the air tank. I glued the cradle to the floor of the plane, then I sealed the wood with thin c/a then attached some heavy-duty velcro to the cradle and the tank itself. I position the tank and press it down onto the cradle and the corresponding velcro piece. It doesn't move now!

I re-did this to all my warbirds and the problem is gone.
It happened to me on two different warbirds before i learned to fasten them well.Yeah I'm a slow learner!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Lifer

I think they tried to address the issue in the new release of their giant scale P-47. I still like the velcro method, however.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:15 PM
radfordc

I know to glue them in place, but I bought this one second hand and didn't check.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Lifer

I glued mine in with silicone, just like the instructions said to do. It just didn't hold.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Castel

What a great story George!

I hadn't seen this thread! I had posted this video before in another thread but since this is a Mustang I'll share it here again . Fun stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=984tPA7k3yg
Old 02-22-2016, 03:06 PM
George Miller

Isn't that something Castel,

Amazing what modelers can do.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Ha! I never had a twisting tank issue until this past 2 months. Then on this Bud Nosen P-51 the tank was rotating and twisting the line. Gluing Velcro to the can was also my solution. Great thread to be on....
Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Chris Nicastro

I paid $495 for my ride in a Corsair so I would say that was one heck of an expensive valve!
Very cool, outstanding fun
Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 AM
acdii

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
I paid $495 for my ride in a Corsair so I would say that was one heck of an expensive valve!
Very cool, outstanding fun
Now that is somethgin I would love to do. My favorite plane is the Corsair, just love that gull wing look, and the sound it makes as it flies by.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:38 PM
wolfman01

I am NEW to this forum, and new to planes like this. I'm very interested in the Hanger 9 P-51D. I want to build one, but could really use as much help info. as anyone will submit. I want a
good powerful engine and the best electronics I can find. I have a Futaba 10 ch. TX an RX already. Servo info would really help. Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by wolfman01; 02-24-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by wolfman01
I am NEW to this forum, and new to planes like this. I'm very interested in the Hanger 9 P-51D. I want to build one, but could really use as much help info. as anyone will submit. I want a
good powerful engine and the best electronics I can find. I have a Futaba ch. TX an RX already. Servo info would really help. Thanks for any help you can give.
Read all the Mustang treads FIRST! ( there at at least 4 )Then ask anything you don't understand. It all depends on what size and which brand you choose.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:45 PM
George Miller

Default Help ??

Help is always a questionable thing. Goes more to the thinking of the person who is trying to help you as much as anything else.

Hopefully you will get some responses here that will be of use to you. Take all the help you can get, put it all in a basket and decide from there.

When you say you are new to planes like this, what does that mean? Do you have the ability to jump into a scale fighter type of aircraft?

I suppose the Hanger 9 is as good a start as any if you are referring to a ARF type of project. If you are talking about their 60 size ARF, it is going to be a pretty expensive model by the time you are done assembling it. Their are a lot of P-51 ARF's out there that would get you into flying a P-51 a whole lot cheaper than this one. And most of them actually fly quite well.

I personally never seen the logic in purchasing a scale model of a fighter that the gear retracted on and not having retracting gear in my model of it. It doesn't look like it is flying in the air, it just looks like it is getting ready to land. And this is also a big expense on this Hanger 9 Mustang.

And it is a new era now. Gone are the days when we had to use glo or gas engines in our planes. Gone are the days when you had to spend time trying to get the idle set and the high speed set. Gone are the days when you had a ugly muffler and half a engine sticking out of your now semi-scale model. Gone are the days when you had to have fuel lines sticking out of your model, and the just about as much fun as having a root canal, that cleaning all the fuel and oil off your whole plane after flying it. Gone are the days of thinking you have that engine set right and having it die during your flight. Not pretty from there.

Electric comes in all sizes now from giant scale to those little foamies. By picking the right motor and battery you can decide how long you want to fly. Always remember : Buy a ESC that has a much higher amp rating than the motor and use a BEC.

Look at the front of these Mustangs. Notice I don't even have a hatch there. Nothing to get to that can't be got through the spinner hole. Now is that clean or what?

As far as radio and servos. I would generally go along with what the people you are buy a P-51 from suggest.

As far as power. I again would go along with what they suggest. The old wives tail of when having too much power and just being able to throttle back is a myth. Over power means over propped. This adds up to harder to take off and harder to land and harder to go around. A fighter type of model is nicer to fly if it is balanced right in this area.

So this is pretty much all I have to say as far as trying to help you. I am sure you will get others who will try to help you and totally disagree with me.

In the end, you are the one who has to decide where you want to go and how far you went to take it.

Once you have decided that, you will be able to get better help. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	al.JPG
Views:	1147
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	2149214   Click image for larger version

Name:	as.JPG
Views:	1135
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	2149215   Click image for larger version

Name:	ai.JPG
Views:	1095
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	2149216   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar.JPG
Views:	1056
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	2149217  
Old 02-24-2016, 05:16 PM
wolfman01

I'm looking at the 60cc bird. One guy said the DLE 61 is a good engine.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:07 PM
sjhanc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The full size pilots always learned to fly military planes by climbing into a military trainer first. In the case of WWII planes most got their skills in a T-6, Harvard, or SNJ, all versions of the same basic air frame. These trainers had all of the bad habits that they would face later when they got into the real fighter, it just did it slower and cheaper and safer than a fighter. I tell new guys to model fighters to get a foam warbird trainer with a larger than 5 foot wing span, flaps and retracts and practice until they haven't had a bad landing in the last 100 flights. Then make the transition to fighters with an easy to land P 47. After they are comfortable with that plane they can move to other more complex and harder to land fighters, whichever plane they like.

Anyone who can fly an RC low wing sport plane can get a fighter off the ground, It is getting it back down that becomes a problem-if the pilot is not familiar with the type. If you can properly use the rudder and know the flap procedures needed for tail dragger military trainers, that knowledge is a great help with fighters. These on line forums have a huge knowledge base of experienced pilots and builders to help you, just get the basic military trainer experience you need, every club has pilot trainers who can get you going with a military trainer even if he never flew a fighter himself. When you get to the point you think you are an expert T 6 pilot in take off and landing, use of rudder and flaps and proper use of throttle on landing approaches and can wheel one on smoothly with no bouncing down the runway, find out what is the most highly recommended brand of the fighter you have your eye on, then buy it and ask for advise on setup and flying. And it wouldn't hurt to visit local flying fields and watch who is doing the best at flying your type of plane. Then see if you can get him to check your plane out for balance, control setup and engine performance before the first flight. If you are lucky he might agree to do the test flight.

When I was a lot younger I did a lot of test flying at my club fields for anyone who asked after I made sure it was a safe, flyable model. Now I will check them out but I defer the test flights to the younger guys with better reflexes. I still do my own test flights but there will come a day when I will build them and let someone else fly them. Hopefully not for a few more years. I currently own and fly a TopFlite Giant Scale P 51B electric turning a 4 blade prop. At 29 lbs. it requires as much skill as I can manage for safe operation. My other plane, a Hanger Nine 60cc P 51D, at 27 lbs. on gas, is a delight to fly with much lower landing approach speeds and a very forgiving stall. It has become the plane of choice when I head out to the local club field for some fun with fighters.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by radfordc
I found out the problem with the retracts. The air bottle wasn't glued in place and it rotated enough to twist the air line shut. It's always the little things that get you.
I had the same problem before. Instead of gluing the tank literally it's better to use silicone or Shoogoo to mount a tank or lock it in place. I've also used Velcro. The point is serviceable access in case you need to work on anything.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by wolfman01
I'm looking at the 60cc bird. One guy said the DLE 61 is a good engine.
The big 60cc Mustang has some issues so please read the thread and reviews on this plane before you buy it.
Do you have any tail dragger or performance low wing plane experience?
Mustangs can be a handful for some and just fine for others. There are set up tricks and things that can be done to different kits to make them work best.

My my suggestion is you fly something like a P-47 for a while before you try a Mustang. Most of the equipment will transfer to a Mustang from a P-47 too. A P-47 is a perfect war bird trainer but I have no idea of your skill level.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:16 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
The big 60cc Mustang has some issues so please read the thread and reviews on this plane before you buy it.
Do you have any tail dragger or performance low wing plane experience?
Mustangs can be a handful for some and just fine for others. There are set up tricks and things that can be done to different kits to make them work best.

My my suggestion is you fly something like a P-47 for a while before you try a Mustang. Most of the equipment will transfer to a Mustang from a P-47 too. A P-47 is a perfect war bird trainer but I have no idea of your skill level.
+1 on the P47 for your first Warbird. This assumes you have time with other low wing planes.

Last edited by SWORDSN; 02-25-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.