Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 02:44 AM
szandors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer
Got a reference picture?
I'll send it later.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:25 AM
szandors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a reference picture?
I figured out how it works. I won't do that. The question is canceled.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:35 PM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Just a heads up for all the Fork tailed devil afficionados...
I have initiated design, and cutting of a 1/6th scale, 103 inch wingspan P 38 lightning kit from Rumen at Fokkerc. Being members here, I'm sure you've come across Wyoturbine's Fokkerc spitfire build thread so you can see the quality of Rumen's kits.
kit will include all the ply formers and so on, you providing stringers, sheeting etc. More than a short kit, but not quite a full kit..
Rumen will also be doing the details, canopy frame, canopy, I assume, the cowls, as well. Nose cone probably balsa block, carved by me, guns probably from Jiri, same with cockpit interior.
Tryring to figure out a good set of retracts...info may suggest century jets retracts for the old Columbia P38 kit might be very close...I think it had a 102 inch wingspan if info is correct. Rumen stated 103 would be exact 1/6 scale.
Initially, planned engines expected is somewhere in the 1.50 CI/35 cc range.
Kit cost, 874.00 including shipping. Get your benches ready. There be a new Lightning a'comin...

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 02-16-2022 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigTeeEldorado (02-23-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 08:01 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

This guy has 3D print M2ed Browning in 1/6 scale for $10. He made me some WWI guns, he did a good job.

https://rosaminiatures.squarespace.c...and-303-series
Old 02-16-2022, 08:39 PM
Txmustangflyer

Cool!
Old 02-16-2022, 11:03 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m going to do a ziroli, but I would have the new kit made to fit the Sierra retracts for the yellow aircraft p-38 if Darrell still makes them. I’ll see if Ruman can make stuff for the 114” ziroli size. I have his cockpit and accessories for a p-51 b. Great stuff! If he can make a ziroli canopy frame I’d be really happy. Good luck !
Old 02-17-2022, 01:12 PM
Txmustangflyer

If you remember the Columbia P38 kit from the 90's, it was a 102 ish inch wingspan, I've spoken with Mark at Century Jets, He still has the design for the gear. The tweaks to get an exact 1/6 aren't as extreme. Controller for an electric version would also sequence gear doors, if needed. Thinking the nose gear doors may be servo operated.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 02-17-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:11 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn’t sure if century jet was still around, but good to hear that they are. I am still not quite sold on electric retracts as I only hear the bad and never the good. I have Robart electrics on my h9 60cc Corsair so I’ll have my own opinion soon. Separate mounting Gear doors (not attached to struts) are new to me as well. I will see how my metal gear servos handle the Corsair doors, but I’m also not quite sure how I feel about them either. I’m thinking air cylinders might be better to prevent overloading and servo burnout. I read on a meister p47 forum they were having issues with servos and went with air instead. I guess long story short, I think air may still be the way to go, but if century jet has electric I’d say go for it. It’s nice to have options .
Old 02-17-2022, 03:30 PM
Txmustangflyer

The h9 mustang also uses servos on the inner gear doors. Nobody has had issues. I think, as long as the hinge axises are in line and parallel, the servos survive fine.

My main concern about using pneumatics on the upcoming build is space. P 38's don't have a whole lot of internal space, especially at 1/6. Doing gas engines, as always, there has to be room for fuel tanks, ignition batteries, rx battery (multi engine redundancy. I don't think a BEC would be a good idea at all)
plus retracts servos etc...its going to get very tight, VERY fast.
I'm even thinking over a fuel tank and pump in the pod supplying both engines maybe..I dunno yet. I'll see what Rumen comes up with in the design.

I'm thinking it will go more like this..a bec to both ignitions, battery in ppd, rx and battery in pod,

hoping room for 12 oz tanks in each boom, one boom having the rudder servo, a cross linkage to other rudder through the stationary section of the horizontal stab to the other rudder, elevator servo in other boom, center wings holding flap servos (maybe 4 linear servos total for the fowlers?) Then, of course, ailerons.
nosewheel steering servo in the pod nose cone or directly behind the retract base...
Thats all assumption of course.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 02-17-2022 at 03:47 PM.
BigTeeEldorado (02-23-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:55 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

She got her legs, Sierra Precision retracts, GP61s are in, all servos. Working on the little things getting ready for paint! Think spring!

The following 2 users liked this post by Fili:
d jones (02-28-2022), N1EDM (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 05:04 PM
FlyerInOKC

She is one big beautiful girl!
d jones (02-28-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 09:55 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up for all the Fork tailed devil afficionados...
I have initiated design, and cutting of a 1/6th scale, 103 inch wingspan P 38 lightning kit from Rumen at Fokkerc. Being members here, I'm sure you've come across Wyoturbine's Fokkerc spitfire build thread so you can see the quality of Rumen's kits.
kit will include all the ply formers and so on, you providing stringers, sheeting etc. More than a short kit, but not quite a full kit..
Rumen will also be doing the details, canopy frame, canopy, I assume, the cowls, as well. Nose cone probably balsa block, carved by me, guns probably from Jiri, same with cockpit interior.
Tryring to figure out a good set of retracts...info may suggest century jets retracts for the old Columbia P38 kit might be very close...I think it had a 102 inch wingspan if info is correct. Rumen stated 103 would be exact 1/6 scale.
Initially, planned engines expected is somewhere in the 1.50 CI/35 cc range.
Kit cost, 874.00 including shipping. Get your benches ready. There be a new Lightning a'comin...

I am excited to see the effort and interest in reviving the 1/5 size options. It's been a while since my last visit, but this is the first resource I thought of when I started looking. I lost my KMP model recently and I am just now getting emotionally well enough to consider my next one. I am curious whether anyone has reached out to see if the molds for the KMP fiberglass are available. I made several mods to the original kit but the size and design was perfect for twin 20's. I am not a true scale enthusiast, which the KMP model was not, but it flew really well and had nothing to do with it's ultimate demise. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread and hop for the best.

I thought I would share my inspiration and model for impact

Old 03-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Txmustangflyer

My suggestion, if you are wanting a composite lightning, is look at the JMB P38 out of australia. Its not cheap, but very, very high quality, can even have servos premounted. Been watching it for a while,only reason I, myself, did not pull the trigger was price tag..7500 to get it to the US..

However, I passed the info on the kit on to Doc G. I know he was in contact direct with them and was trying to work out an import and US dealership for it...I dunno how that panned out or if discussions were still ongoing. Doc thought it would be a good match up for the engines he brings in from Europe.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:21 PM
FlyerInOKC

I don't remember if I have mentioned this before but, if you visit the National Museum of WWII Aviation in Colorado Springs you also get a tour of WestPac Restoration next door. WestPac has completed multiple P-38 restorations and I think they are working on a couple more. The own all the original factory drawings and remaining dies for the P-38 Lightning. The didn't have to drag me kicking and screaming out of the place but it was close.

https://www.worldwariiaviation.org/v...an-your-visit/
Old 03-02-2022, 01:28 PM
Txmustangflyer

I wouldn't have left without a plane..was kicked out of san antonio air museam cus I started to preflight their Tomcat correctly...when the apu started up, the staff got....testy..
Old 03-02-2022, 02:49 PM
FlyerInOKC

I wouldn't have left without a plane..was kicked out of san antonio air museam cus I started to preflight their Tomcat correctly...when the apu started up, the staff got....testy..
Sounds like a narrow minded bunch!
Old 03-02-2022, 05:16 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion, if you are wanting a composite lightning, is look at the JMB P38 out of australia. Its not cheap, but very, very high quality, can even have servos premounted. Been watching it for a while,only reason I, myself, did not pull the trigger was price tag..7500 to get it to the US..

However, I passed the info on the kit on to Doc G. I know he was in contact direct with them and was trying to work out an import and US dealership for it...I dunno how that panned out or if discussions were still ongoing. Doc thought it would be a good match up for the engines he brings in from Europe.

I'll go look at the JMB just because, but 7500 is Waaaaay out of my league. I'm just a sport flyer that loves the sound of twin gas,
Thanks for the response. KMP or Condor Model Products did have a Facebook site. I talked with someone a few years back about parts and they said there was still some around, potentially in a warehouse in Florida I think. I just thought I would mention it again as the airframe worked very well and was a relatively simple design that might be revisited for a potentially more attractive price point. I'm not in the business but thought it was worth a mention for someone trying to revive that size kit.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Txmustangflyer

If you are up for a challenge, you could get get number 2, 1/6 scale short kit from Fokkerc.

On the JMB, I'm waitibg to see if and what Dic G works oyt with them. Depends on his wholesale cost plus shipping, plus, its a 1/5 which for a lightning is BIG.

1/6 cones in around a 103 inch wing span, a 1/5 might need its own trailer lol.

Rumen has given a preliminary engine size of 35 cc, or a Saito 150, ir equivalent electric. My kit may cut around september or october.

There is also yhe VQ/Nexa ARF but, judging from youtube vids, the fit and finish between center wing and gondola leaves a lot to be desired. It is also very light weight, capable of dlting on 12 to 15cc gas RCGF makes a 10 and a 15 that would fit nicely.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-02-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:50 PM
Juango
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Greetings everyone from Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 . MY Wind-Rc/Jmb-Jets P-38 arrived on Tuesday March 1st finally 🙂 .!!…..THIS THING IS BIG 😍😋 .!!……

Here are a few pics of the box and how the plane comes very protected inside the box .

It was painted in Robin Olds SCAT II paint scheme .

As soon as i can will post more pictures 🙂👍 .!!…

P.S. 🤷‍♂️ I’m 5’ foot 3” inches of height that why the box looks pretty big beside me 😂 LoL .!!…..

Last edited by Juango; 03-04-2022 at 02:57 PM.
langerl (12-17-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 04:02 PM
Txmustangflyer

Going to be a gorgeous bird. Congrats.

Do a build thread for us :-)
Old 03-04-2022, 04:47 PM
FlyerInOKC

Wow! That is one big beautiful bird! Happy flying!
Old 03-04-2022, 05:18 PM
Txmustangflyer

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Wow! That is one big beautiful bird! Happy flying!
(Smack!) When you ordering your Fokkerc kit?

(Grin)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:40 AM
Fili

Wish mine went together that fast...Lol
Old 03-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Txmustangflyer

Originally Posted by Fili
Wish mine went together that fast...Lol
JMB kit is a super nice one. Very high quality ARF's
But, you pay for thst quality. Our friend here paid close to8 grand US for that kit. What he got, is a fully, ready to go ARF, servos mounted, all surfaces hinged, throws set. All he has to do is mount engines, rx, batteries, and go fly.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:41 PM
Fili

JMB kit is a super nice one. Very high quality ARF's
But, you pay for thst quality. Our friend here paid close to8 grand US for that kit. What he got, is a fully, ready to go ARF, servos mounted, all surfaces hinged, throws set. All he has to do is mount engines, rx, batteries, and go fly.
yeah I’m old school, I still enjoy the challenges of a good build, and the satisfaction of saying "I built that"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.