Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

50cc size Corsairs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: Wich Corsair is best for the Money?
Top Flite Gaint ARF
41.18%
ESM 50cc ARF
15.69%
Hanger 9 ARF
37.25%
Another option around 1K
5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

50cc size Corsairs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 50cc size Corsairs

Ok guys I have spent some time looking throw what seems to me like the best 3 50cc size corsairs,

The TF Gaint ARF, ESM 50cc, and Hanger 9 60cc Corsairs.

They all seem to have pros and cons.

While I was plaining on building a TF Gaint Corsair Kit, I will not have the time...

But I already have the Robart 148 air retracts and a Satio 300 twin

So with that in mind which of these 3 or is there another I have passed up worth looking at in the 1k range.

I like the ESM as I have had the smaller 74in one, and loved the detail, and even had a few hard nose overs and one semi crash, and being fiberglass was very easy to fix, (last crash tosted the wing so its dead)

If I got the TF Gaint, I would have to strip it and fiberglass and paint it.

I love the Hanger 9 has all the scale detail I would like but seems to be very heavy and I don't think my Satio 300 will have the grunt it would need.

I currety have 3 other TF Gaint War birds, (P51, P40, P47) all with DLE55, So I was hopeing to make this one stand out more than the otheres.

Thanks for your advice.

Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 02:05 PM
captainron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
If you've already got the 1K.............HANDS DOWN, NO CONTEST......The new Hanger 9 50CC is the best. I have the ESM and I SURE AS HE*L WOULDN'T BUY ANOTHER ONE. The Top Flite is a good bird but I've seen them both and again, hands down, the Hanger 9 is the best. Most expensive also at 999.00

Only my humble opinion .............If I were to lose my ESM, I would buy the Hanger 9. Captain Ron
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM
stephanmk1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello Mike,

The Hangar 9 Corsair is the best ARF so far for me.....mine as a saito 300 on glow which is more than enough for this 27 pounds plane.....it does loops and rolls very easily.....

stephan.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by stephanmk1
Hello Mike,

The Hangar 9 Corsair is the best ARF so far for me.....mine as a saito 300 on glow which is more than enough for this 27 pounds plane.....it does loops and rolls very easily.....

stephan.
We need pics.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 PM
captainron

Mike,
Go on the Horizon Hobbies web site. Go into Hanger 9 section and click on Warbirds and scroll down till you see it. Plenty of pics....
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by captainron
the Hanger 9 is the best. Most expensive also at 999.00.
. Captain Ron
Yes, well, that must be if your opinion is that Monocote is allright.

Many don't.

Can you imagine the difference if they had covered it with Solartex......
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by kwik
Yes, well, that must be if your opinion is that Monocote is allright.

Many don't.

Can you imagine the difference if they had covered it with Solartex......
Thats why I asked the question.

I love the look of the ESM bird's. Yes they take work but the paint, panel lines, and solar text make it sweet

Right now with price and cost of new retracts im deciding between getting the topflite ARF abd fiberglassing it or the ESM
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM
kahloq

I think the ESM is the best looking one out there. I actually voted for the H9 in the poll only because it's the easiest to complete.
Most people that have ESM planes understand there's a bit more work to do to get them flight ready, but for an arf.....they are by far the best appearance wise.
A note on power....I had a vantex spitfire that weighed 30 pounds and a turnigy 50cc gasser pulled it around easily and considering the power output is 500 rpms less then a 50cc dle.....that's pretty darn good.

I don't think a saito 300 will have trouble flying a 27 pound plane.

Last edited by kahloq; 02-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM
kwik

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Right now with price and cost of new retracts im deciding between getting the topflite ARF abd fiberglassing it or the ESM
The 148's are fine for the 50cc ESM. I have 50 flights on mine now. I like the 148's very much.

Look through the 50cc ESM thread and you find the solution.

Last edited by kwik; 02-07-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
mikes68charger

Humm. While I know our war birds arent cheap. I just have a hard time spending $1500+ on just an airframe and front retracts for tge hanger 9. Even thow the top fkite probably adds up to about the same once modded

With $1500 I would rather get another nice used turbine.

I have to admit I got my first turbine 9 months ago and now with 4 turbine jets its been very hard to think if war birds wich are my first love

I think I got really bumbed out with war birds when I crashed my TF Gaint P47 with ZDZ80 and 22X10 4 blade prop 10feet off deck when something made it roll completely upside down in a fast low pass at the end of summer

But I love sexy corsairs.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM
kahloq

Well...since you already have gear, the cost to acquire the ESM 50cc corsair will only be around $800 with shipping.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
woodj316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my top flight corsair with a g62 mounted up front for power
great cockpit detail greatt scale look enough for me anyway Iwanted a good flyer and this bird flys great

Thanks for the pole question

Jay
Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

The Giant Scale Top-Flite is the best buy and best flying out of the 3 Period. My buddy has one with a DA-50 and the plane weighs 23 lbs. and handles great in the air and is easy to land. If you are worried about the Monokote finish. Just iron it down a few times to make sure you have a good tight fit. The I lightly sanded mine and did the Tri color scheme. Marines Dream. My buddy did a different scheme , mine has a DLE-55 and it pulls it fine. Tower offers great service if you have any problems and most of the time no questions asked. and it is very easy to get parts for the mishaps you may have. I look at quality , then how well it handles in the air and landing and take offs and how easy it is to get replacement parts and service. GO with Top flite and you will be happy, also on the Top-Flite you can make it a 2 piece wing or 1 piece wing. I also have a couple of their P-51's and P -40's and the P-47, and looking to get their FW-190. I have been in RC. since 1968 and have built and flown a lot of planes over the years and even the hardware with the Top-flite is good , you do not have to replace anything. Thanks Bob
Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 AM
kwik

The question in the Poll could perhaps have been reformulated a bit.

Like;
"Which Corsair did you buy, the TF,H9 or ESM?"

Then, if people where honest ( they aren't) we would see how people really spendt their hard earned money, instead of now,
when we only see how people dream about how they would spend it.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 AM
masteromodels

Then you change the nature of their question. If you want to know which they have purchased , it would be your question not his. If you think they lie then why even ask?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:52 AM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Ok guys I have spent some time looking throw what seems to me like the best 3 50cc size corsairs,

But I already have the Robart 148 air retracts and a Satio 300 twin

Mike
If the Hanger 9 is your choice the Robart 148s will not work without expensive modification (according to Robart)
The correct gear is the 150 b/z originally designed for the Byron Corsair, and Ziroli's.
Struts are longer. for one thing.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 AM
kwik

Originally Posted by masteromodels
If you think they lie then why even ask?
We don't lie, we dream about buying this and that. But when its time to actually spend you money, how would you prioritize then ?

May not the same is when dreaming about it.

hehe.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

"best for the Money?" that's the question. Not which is best. So its a totally subjective answer. All three planes are different. The question is one of value. If you don't mind iron covering and ease of assembly and good flights. Than the TF would be the winner. If you want a more scale outline and appearance then it's between ESM and Horizon. Horizon probably gets the nod for being easier to assemble while ESM may get the nod for over all looks. Then there's cost. ESM is cheaper than Horizon albeit not that much. That factors into the equation. Air Retracts are about the same for both. So a bit of a toss up between ESM and Horizon.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 PM
masteromodels

Bob you forgot service. Tower has the best service hands down. And also to be able to replace a broken piece from a bad flight , which we all have sooner or later. Top-Flite is also the lightest and is a great fling machine and easier to balance then the ESM. , Also better instructions and hardware then ESM. So for flying and service and hardware and Price , My vote is still for the Top-flite and that goes for all their war birds.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:55 PM
kahloq

Originally Posted by BobH
"best for the Money?" that's the question. Not which is best. So its a totally subjective answer. All three planes are different. The question is one of value. If you don't mind iron covering and ease of assembly and good flights. Than the TF would be the winner. If you want a more scale outline and appearance then it's between ESM and Horizon. Horizon probably gets the nod for being easier to assemble while ESM may get the nod for over all looks. Then there's cost. ESM is cheaper than Horizon albeit not that much. That factors into the equation. Air Retracts are about the same for both. So a bit of a toss up between ESM and Horizon.
The ESM is cheaper by about $300 and that's including buying retracts for either. There are spare parts for the ESM plane, BUT, Horizon is really good to deal with service wise.
In my experience, Horizon has been better service wise then Tower...so its subjective from each person's point of view. There is no "hands down" tower is better or horizon is better. They are both good. I've also had good dealing with troybuiltmodels for service in relation to ESM planes.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 PM
mikes68charger

Thanks for all the help guys

I got the kit as all I have are ARFs and last year I flew in a scale war bird contest (came in 2nd for beginner scale) with TopFlite Gaint P51 with DLE55 with Kelo muffler

So I really wanted to build a bird I could complete with in novice and advanced (p51 novice and corsair advanced)

But I was told you have to build your bird for advanced class but how is it difficult to complete with a CARF Corsair vs a Hanger 9 stipped and fiberglassed?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the ESM. The Top Flite isn't scale enough and monokote doesn't do it for me. The H9 looks great but the shiny UltraCote Korean War version just isn't what I would be looking for. I would have to strip it and glass. The ESM just needs a coat of paint and panel lines. Throw out the hardware! I like my warbirds to fly heavy but that's just me so the ESM is best for me.

Mike- I have scale judged at the Nats and US Scale Masters...size should not matter.

Last edited by tevans55; 02-08-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:54 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by tevans55
I like the ESM. The Top Flite isn't scale enough and monokote doesn't do it for me. The H9 looks great but the shiny UltraCote Korean War version just isn't what I would be looking for. I would have to strip it and glass. The ESM just needs a coat of paint and panel lines. Throw out the hardware! I like my warbirds to fly heavy but that's just me so the ESM is best for me.

Mike- I have scale judged at the Nats and US Scale Masters...size should not matter.

Its not size. But what is the deference between a ARF and a plane that can compet in advance class?

Is a all fiberglass glass kit like a carf or cjm really much different from buying a top flite arf and bashing/fiberglassing your self?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not size. But what is the deference between a ARF and a plane that can compet in advance class?

Is a all fiberglass glass kit like a carf or cjm really much different from buying a top flite arf and bashing/fiberglassing your self?
Panel lines, rivets, true scale outline, etc, etc.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM
masteromodels

I have built the top-Flite ARC and just glassed it and added the scale cowl from Sphy. and changed the exhaust stacks and added the adjustment for the stab location and added a new cockpit interior and I added panel lines and rivet detail and it can qualify for TOP-GUN. There is no scale contest for true scale planes anymore other then FAI for world champion Scale. All the planes today are derived from the old stand off scale started by Dave Platt and have evolved into what we call master scale today. Guys just started cheating little by little from the original standoff scale rules. When you go to the Masters or Top Gun they do not require you to have special rulers and true outline drawings , most are judge from 10 ft. away and only for craftsman ship are the judges allowed up close. There is no reason a Top-Flite P-51 or P-47 not to be entered in either contest as long as you glass and finish the pane without some iron on material already on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.