Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM models price jump

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM models price jump

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwik
I think you are correct. Some political movements, I won't mention any names, would love to see a full stop on all international trade.

Increasing freight cost is the perfect way to do that.

Later they will discover the unintendent consequences.......

Nutcases is actually a political movement?:-)

Gerry
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
There is a easy way to get around all of the price arf jumps and that is to build your own ! lmao God forbid you build your own airplanes anymore they might call you a modeler . Ok you can go back to whining about what they are going to charge you now but thought a good sugestion might help. joe
Sorry dude, I don't have that kind of time on my hands. Neither do most of us that aren't retired. When one piles into the ground, I'd prefer to only be out a few hundred bucks, not years of my life. This is a thread about an ARF manufacturer, not the merits of kit building.

Last edited by irocbsa; 04-30-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 AM
irocbsa

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Yah, this is called a correction. ARF prices will continue to go up.
Probably. Nothing lasts forever. In the end, I guess it doesn't matter what the reason for it is. The reality of the situation in that they have probably priced themselves out of the market since the competition is selling better products at the same (or cheaper) prices.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miklos
Well, there's 2 good reasons I don't build and I'll start with the one that to me is most important. If I build a plane from a "kit", it will take at least 6 months and much labor on my part, and I will have a lot more emotions invested in the plane. If you buy an ARF it will only take about a month to build and so if it goes in, true I've lost a lot more money, but much less of me is invested in the plane and that to me is more important. I value my time more than the money.
The other reason is....... I've never tried building anything. Many repairs, but no builds.
Yep not enough time or never tried one but getting attatched is a new one .lol I put in a couple hours every day or so building and pretty soon they are finished . I build cause i dont want to fly the same thing everyone else flys and money is no object for me neither . joe
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by irocbsa
Sorry dude, I don't have that kind of time on my hands. Neither do most of us that aren't retired. When one piles into the ground, I'd prefer to only be out a few hundred bucks, not years of my life. This is a thread about an ARF manufacturer, not the merits of kit building.
The sacrifice of a little time will reward you with the less likelihood of piling into the ground. The emotional investment tends to create a higher level of quality in setup, and managing of the things that cause crashes. This aircraft took me 4 months to build and get test flown. I work over 50 hours a week. This hobby thrived before the era of the ARF, and it will thrive after the Era of the ARF.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker maiden 003.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1991374  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
irocbsa

I admire the skills and patience of those of you that stick with kit builds, but most of the people in the hobby these days (including myself) would rather spend more time flying than building. I doubt the era of the ARF will ever be over because of that. Technology will continue to progress which will bring the costs down even further and the used market is already flooded with planes which makes it even cheaper to get a great flying ARF in the air. Anyway, back on topic...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 AM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

Ive had 5 or 6 ESM and Ecomrc models from TBM. I wanted their Cessna 195 but Im not paying $200 for shipping. What I do now buy one used on RCU guys buy them keep them a year then get rid of a nice airplane that you can buy for a fraction of the price they payed for it.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:10 PM
vertical grimmace

I wanted to point out one more thing. Especially to those that have never built a plane from the ground up.

Getting the plane framed up, generally does not take very long. It is usually fitting all of the hardware, and electronics, then finishing that requires the most time. The final assembly of a built plane though, is much easier than that of an ARF, as all of this has been taken care of before covering etc.

I have done my share of ARF's, and the work that is needed to get them ready, is generally way more complicated than an aircraft I have built.

Building a plane starting with sticks, is not as daunting as many may believe.

There is no question that you feel better, and have more respect for a model that you built. Not to mention, the quality and longevity of the model is generally far better. (At least with the warbirds/scale models. The IMAC stuff seems to be a little better).

I have heard from several modelers that have ESM models, and they have said they will never buy another one. As you have a shell of a plane, but the interior is very poorly engineered. These conversations have led me away from getting an ESM model, even though I have been tempted many times. The Stuka is a good example. I came very close to getting one, but instead I got a Ziroli kit instead. I know in the end I will have a superior model, that will last a lifetime. The ESM surely would have disappointed. Here is my Stuka, halfway done.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1510880_10203026501527847_1575632847_n.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1991409  
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 PM
joebahl

I admire the skills and patience of those of you that stick with kit builds, but most of the people in the hobby these days (including myself) would rather spend more time flying than building. I doubt the era of the ARF will ever be over because of that. Technology will continue to progress which will bring the costs down even further and the used market is already flooded with planes which makes it even cheaper to get a great flying ARF in the air. Anyway, back on topic...
I like you guys also ,when i sold off my 60 or more of my hand built gas /nitro birds i had hanging around my basement it was guys like you who paid great cash for them. lmao I build and fly only electrict now and will build 60 or so more .lol NICE STUKA ! V.G. . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 04-30-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM
irocbsa

I doubt you would have gotten a dime from me. I wouldn't have paid what you probably consider "great cash".

Seriously though, while I'm sure all of us appreciate the opinions of kit builders, could we please try for once to keep an RCU thread on topic and not have it degenerate into bickering on subjective matters? That is happening far too often lately and it's caused a number of valuable threads to disappear.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Nutcases is actually a political movement?:-)

Gerry
I was trying to be polite.

But I agree with you, and I probably didnt manage to hide it well.

hehe.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 PM
joebahl

The thread was about raising prices of china junk and i offered another way not to have to pay it! If i hurt any feeling of people who are busy ,lazy or just dont care ,OH well! The sheep will keep on paying it because there is nothing you can do about it if you want to fly ,but i can and will. Now go back to your thread about getting ripped off. joe
Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 PM
DOC
My Feedback: (57)

What I have noticed is that ALL ESM dealers charge the same price. A few years ago one dealer tried to sell for less and he was "cut off" and was forced to" price fix". What ever happened to Free enterprise. Tower or LHS all offer discounts, but try to get a discount from a ESM dealer. Believe me the Market will seek its own level !
Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 PM
p3arljam
My Feedback: (5)

I was ready to buy the ESM ZERO but that isnt going to happen now. They apparently have raised their prices to all of their vendors so the vendors have to abide by that and pass it on to us. They will be out of business soon Troy built models will notice the sales fall off and most likely stop selling them. As far as building planes i commute for work and between that and family i dont have the time to kit build plus the fact that flying season is not year round i want to be in the air not waiting for glue to dry. I respect people who build i wish i had the time but these are the same people who probably have other planes ready to fly so they can take their time waiting for others to be built. I would love to have the time,space and skill to build kits i just dont. ESM makes the size and models i like to fly but i think they think their product will sell no matter what the price and only time will tell but i see a price drop or product drop within 6 months. I really dont think the labor cost went up where those planes are made so it has to be the shipping.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM
GerKonig

I doubt you would have gotten a dime from me. I wouldn't have paid what you probably consider "great cash".

Seriously though, while I'm sure all of us appreciate the opinions of kit builders, could we please try for once to keep an RCU thread on topic and not have it degenerate into bickering on subjective matters? That is happening far too often lately and it's caused a number of valuable threads to disappear.
I agree, but remember some do not have the brain power to even understand the name of the thread, or think that since they are old, it does not apply to them anyway... Oh well, back to covering my US made giant low wing sweet stick (Midwest kit) with British covering (21st Century fabric)... using my Chinese hot iron...

Gerry
Old 04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
irocbsa

Originally Posted by joebahl
The thread was about raising prices of china junk and i offered another way not to have to pay it! If i hurt any feeling of people who are busy ,lazy or just dont care ,OH well! The sheep will keep on paying it because there is nothing you can do about it if you want to fly ,but i can and will. Now go back to your thread about getting ripped off. joe
Yep, seems about right. I was trying to be courteous and respectfully ask that the topic stay on track. Even though it was obvious from your initial post, I refrained from insulting you and accusing you of trolling with the sole intent of flaming people who build ARF's. Thanks for making my point for me.

Your stance on the hobby is that people who build ARFs are:
Apathetic
Stupid
Farm animals

Got it.

Last edited by irocbsa; 04-30-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by p3arljam
I was ready to buy the ESM ZERO but that isnt going to happen now. They apparently have raised their prices to all of their vendors so the vendors have to abide by that and pass it on to us. They will be out of business soon Troy built models will notice the sales fall off and most likely stop selling them. As far as building planes i commute for work and between that and family i dont have the time to kit build plus the fact that flying season is not year round i want to be in the air not waiting for glue to dry. I respect people who build i wish i had the time but these are the same people who probably have other planes ready to fly so they can take their time waiting for others to be built. I would love to have the time,space and skill to build kits i just dont. ESM makes the size and models i like to fly but i think they think their product will sell no matter what the price and only time will tell but i see a price drop or product drop within 6 months. I really dont think the labor cost went up where those planes are made so it has to be the shipping.
Not necessarily the shipping. Most likely they just decided to just jack up the price and increase the profits. After all, the Zero of the competition is much more expensive (Top Flite), and similar in size.

Gerry
Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM
irocbsa

Not trying to be arguementative, but after shipping costs from TBM and the lack of shipping costs from Tower, the Top Flite kit is only $50 more. Plus, I bet the cost of the ESM plane is going increase even more once they are in stock again.

Man, ESM has really turned me. I used to be a big fan.

Last edited by irocbsa; 04-30-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by miklos
Well, there's 2 good reasons I don't build and I'll start with the one that to me is most important. If I build a plane from a "kit", it will take at least 6 months and much labor on my part, and I will have a lot more emotions invested in the plane. If you buy an ARF it will only take about a month to build and so if it goes in, true I've lost a lot more money, but much less of me is invested in the plane and that to me is more important. I value my time more than the money.
The other reason is....... I've never tried building anything. Many repairs, but no builds.
6 months to build is nothing. Just ask that guy who has been waiting for a replacement Esm wing panel for his 190 for 8 months now. You could of Built the entire model and been flying by now!

I was actually hoping to pickup an esm fw190D or the DO335 for a quick build to get flying for this summer, but after seeing the price hike, not interesed, i can build a better and nicer model for slightly more $$$.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:42 PM
irocbsa

Are you talking about me? LOL. I actually just got an email tonight from TBM that my 190 wing is in stock after waiting since September. At the current costs there is no way I'll tolerate this any more.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
vertical grimmace

I remember a time when the ARF existed, but it was the rarity. Why? Because you could build an airplane for a lot less than the ARF's cost. There was not a good selection either, and the quality was garbage. Then came the late 90's, and cheap labor and laser cut, jig built aircraft brought the price way down. So here we are. It is cheaper to buy an ARF, than it is to build the same plane. Now, we are starting to experience the correction. You would have never seen an American built ARF, marketable as we want too much for labor.

I have a question..........At what point would you not buy a particular ARF? Let's say the ESM 50cc ME 109. How much is too much? $900? , $1000? $1200?

I know I could build one to ARF status for under $1000, easy. One thing, with an ARF, you pay for labor. With a kit, I do not charge myself for labor. Building is the hobby for me, that is why I do this.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
joebahl

Yep, seems about right. I was trying to be courteous and respectfully ask that the topic stay on track. Even though it was obvious from your initial post, I refrained from insulting you and accusing you of trolling with the sole intent of flaming people who build ARF's. Thanks for making my point for me.

Apathetic
Stupid
Farm animals

Got it.
If you dont get it i doubt you ever will so pay their increase and keep flying with a big smile. OK ! everyone their price everyone admits has gone up ! Daaaaa i guess thats the end of this thread . lmao. I have many friends who buy only arfs and fly them so now what ? My stance on this hobby was ,president of a 300 member club for two terms ,AMA member for 35 years ,competing in pattern and pylon when i was young and instructor for 30 + years now. OH ! shame on me i enjoy scratch building mine too! joe

Last edited by da Rock; 05-02-2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: fixed error in quote syntax
Old 04-30-2014, 04:37 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread sort of reminds me of an older one I started about
"What happens when the cost of arf and kit building meet?"

I don't know for certain why ESM raised their prices..But I imagine they had to due to their raising costs.. They will probably make less money at higher prices because it turns some people away..
I wish I could have socked away a bunch of the arfs I liked when they were so under priced in the past.

It's just like when kits went thru the cycle of nobody wants them, to COLLECTORS ITEM.

I am just bummed I can't find as many half built kits at swap meets anymore.. you want to talk about something viewed as a Ugly Red headed step child !
Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 PM
irocbsa

Double post.

Last edited by irocbsa; 04-30-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:42 PM
irocbsa

[QUOTE=joebahl;11794680]

Apathetic
Stupid
Farm animals

Got it.[/QUOTE) If you dont get it i doubt you ever will so pay their increase and keep flying with a big smile. OK ! everyone their price everyone admits has gone up ! Daaaaa i guess thats the end of this thread . lmao. I have many friends who buy only arfs and fly them so now what ? My stance on this hobby was ,president of a 300 member club for two terms ,AMA member for 35 years ,competing in pattern and pylon when i was young and instructor for 30 + years now. OH ! shame on me i enjoy scratch building mine too! joe
Nobody cares about your resume. You're clearly here to troll as you have no interest in ESM models. Obviously you're not reading either. Most of us have said that we won't keep paying their prices and flying their models.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.