Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Skyraider Brotherhood (All Skyraiders Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Skyraider Brotherhood (All Skyraiders Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Gentlemen,
It has been a while, but I'm back on the ESM Skyraider. I installed hidden on/off switches, by cutting out part of the fuselage on the port side, built a light ply box and installed four switches. I then built a hatch for the on/off switches and managed to get this installed with magnets to hold down the switch door. Two switches are for the Rx, one for the electronic ignition and one for the CJ electric retracts. I also installed the Airtronics -3 ten channel Rx and a Secure Flight, servo power box. I needed to re-arrange my elevator servo's for better clearance of the push rods and ran Sullivan push rods aft to the elevator half's, and rudder. I'm running two elevator servo's and a push rod for the rudder. I'm not a fan of ESM tail feather instillation with pull/pull cables and besides the hardware ESM gives for the pull/pull system is no where near up to the job. I have a final instillation on the electronic ignition, Rx and servo box. All the servo wires are now connected and I'm now into installing the batteries to finish off the fuselage.

The pull/pull cables you see drive the retractable tail wheel steering and I used good Sullivan cables. Please...toss out the ESM cables sent with the kit, these cables have failed on other ESM models, and did so on my ESM F6F. Once you install the pull/pull system ESM uses in their airframes, you will have a real problem changing them out, or replacing them once they are emplaced in your airframe. I had to change out my ESM cables on my F6F and once installed, a real S.O.B. to get at, and the ESM Skyraider is even more buried in the rudder then the ESM F6F.

I used short 4/40 rods on the end of my Sullivan fiberglass push rods to connect my servo push rods to the control surfaces and servo's.

The system for attaching the cowl in the ESM manual is all wrong and there is no way it will work. You will have to make and glue in mounting blocks onto the fuselage to screw the cowl in. I tried to use other systems of attaching the cowl, but no real luck in that department. The manual does leave quite a bit to one's imagination, and calling it an assemble manual is quite a stretch. It does give you enough information for the build, but that is about it.

I ran into a problem with my new nickel batteries. I bought half a dozen Sanyo 5 cell 2000 mha batteries and they sat on the shelf for over one year. When I went to charge up the new batteries...all would not take a charge. Some one in my club said that to properly store my nickel batteries, I should have charged them up and cycled them when I first received them, and since I didn't do this, they went bad. Well...you learn something ever day and I lost four higher class batteries by not cycling them when I first got them.

I've ordered new batteries from NoBs batteries and as soon as they come in, I'll finish off the fuselage and move on to the wings.

I had installed a Hitec 225MGBB servo for the throttle servo, but the servo failed. It was a new servo too and I ended up going with a HD 1501GGMG servo on the throttle.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688.JPG
Views:	1770
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2123810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690.JPG
Views:	1770
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2123811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.JPG
Views:	1749
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2123812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	1782
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2123813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	1731
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2123814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	1729
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2123815  

Last edited by Bob Paris; 10-05-2015 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 10-25-2015, 01:32 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELLO SKYRAIDER BROTHERS....

Just a public service announcement .... WE now are offering "HEAVY ORDNANCE PACKAGES" and "ROCKET ARMAMENT PACKAGES" complete
with 12 resin cast pylons in each kit for the ESM 71" A-1 SKYRAIDERS...works with previous ESM SKYRAIDERS and especially well with the new
"SEA" VIETNAM CAMO SKYRAIDERS...

Check it out here: http://www.vqwarbirds.com/advanced_s...ds=SKYRAIDER++

Oh, and one last thing... WE are working on a "scale looking" retractable tail gear as well...should be about 3-4 weeks out
and we will be offering that as well....

-VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please add me to your group I am a big Skyraider fan. Currently have a Ziroli and an ESM Skyraider. My favorite one was a big one I lost at Top Gun as few years ago built from a fiberglass kit with foam wings. The SEA camo scheme is my favorite.
Thanks
Tommy
Florence AL
tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tommy, you got to attend Top Gun? WOW!!!! I'm impressed to say the least...good for you!

Jerry
Old 01-21-2016, 11:32 AM
DocYates

Hey Jerry, I have been for the past few years. Trying to work my way up the chain. I started in the ProAm Class. I mainly enjoy the competition and the comraderie, I know I am never gonna win, but it is fun to go and rub shoulders with the guys who are capable of doing so. You can learn a lot from the "dummies", like the commercial says....haha

How are you doing?
Old 01-21-2016, 11:37 AM
DocYates

Here is a pic of my plane from Top Gun, before it was lost to a bad landing and subsequent repair. Gonna redo the current Ziroli to the same scheme.

Name:	MSlynn.jpg
Views:	1660
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2142690  
tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Anyone got a Ziroli-sized Skyraider they wanna sell?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:57 PM
tailskid

Doc, that was beautiful!!! I'm still playing with airplanes...check out RCGroup for my latest 'contribution' (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2515760)

Hobbico seems to have kept me pretty busy of late....assembling a 1/4 H9 Cub for a friend and have a 81" Dauntless ARF in the wings...got my 35RA for it.

Jerry
Old 01-24-2016, 11:47 AM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me please. Here is ,my z skyraider that was reduced to 85" wingspan. Got it in a trade still debating what engine to use.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2143167  
Old 03-04-2017, 01:43 AM
Bob Paris

Dear Guys,
Interesting...some one removed one of my threads on my ESM Skyraider build. I last posted Nov. 2015 and its March 2017 today. My last post was when I ran my engine on my ESM Skyraider for the first time, and the $430.00 Century Jet landing gear fell apart on the test stand. I posted my displeasure with C.J. and showed pictures of the landing gear parts under the test stand. This post was removed from this thread and I wonder why. I spoke the truth. I just sent back the fourth set of landing gear from Century Jet and I have now for four months I have requested my funds returns...but Bruce refuses to refund my money.

So here is my last letter to him...and my ESM Skyraider has yet to fly.

I know he has a large fallowing...but this is how he treated me. I will fly my ESM Skyraider with Robart ESM Skyraider electric landing gear. It will fly this spring...My club is well aware of this.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Century Jets
Attn: Bruce
11216 Bluegrass Parkway
Louisville, Kentucky
U.S.A. 40299

March 3, 2017

Robert N. Paris
19 Kohulike Way
Lahaina, Hawaii
U.S.A. 96761-9281

Subject: Returning ESM Skyraider landing gear for refund

Dear Bruce,

To say the I’m disappointed is an understatement. You know I asked you for a full refund and after more than 14 months of dealing with your failures and delay, I have no more time or patience to deal with you.

You tried to send me the cheapest Chinese ESM electric gear made and they fell apart on the first run up with the engine. You were upset I mentioned this on RC Universe…you stated, "I should have called you first." You charged me $430 bucks for that gear and that is really a cheap shot…not saying the risk to your reputation. That took nearly three months to get this to me and you showed me how you deal with folks that tell the truth.

Then you sent me gear that didn’t fit my ESM Skyraider…though worked beautiful and were top notch. They also worked perfectly with my Airtronics gear. I sent them back to you, because they were to wide and didn’t fit my airframe. I took nearly four months to get these from you and you knew they would not fit to before you sent them. I sent you a detailed picture and the measurments of my Skyraider retract structure and wondered how you could send me gear that didn’t fit.

Then in Dec. of last year you sent me a third set-now more than then a year from my first order from you. When I went to install them, they refused to work with my Airtronics gear. The gear went from the retracted position to down and locked. I used my Tx switch just like on the first and second gear you sent me, but refused to operate after that first extension, cycle. You stated it worked for you and you cycled it 20 times or more…but strange…not for me. One gear was acceptable and I would use-if it worked, the second gear had a 15 deg. movement in the down and locked position. Side to side play on the gear leg and I spent two nights on trying to get it to work. The back lash was bad…and you knew this if you built up the “enhanced ESM” gear you sent me. But you sent it anyway.

I know fully know how you treat people that displease you. Your actions sir, speak for you…as well as your integrity.

So I am sending this gear back to you for the fourth time, unopened this time and personally sir…you can stick this gear where the sun don’t shine. If you don’t send me my funds back…so be it. But I will never accept this product from you or have anything to do with you or your company again. You were less then truthful to me and you did your best to show your displeasure.

Shame on you….

Robert Paris

P.S. I tested my new Robart electric ESM Skyraider landing gear, and a perfect fit.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Bruce Sanders

First, let me say that we "DO" test our gear 25 full cycles. If they fail or have any issues, they are returned to the technician for correction.

Mr. Paris sent the gear back this last time without a return authorization. We took them out of the box and put them on the test bench. Two technicians tested them and they worked flawlessly. I suspect he is using the wrong battery for the controller or a hi voltage received using a LiFe battery.

I stand behind our products 100% but when a customer has the gear for over a year and used, I can not put them back into stock.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bruce,
It is surprising that you state I didn't return the gear without your authorization...I have sent you many e-mails of my problems with your gear and spoke to you on the phone. I was told to return the landing gear by you personally and I used a five cell 3000 mha, nickel battery. I also told you this by email and I do not use LiFe batteries...I never have used LiFe batteries. Your controller was faulty, the side play on my landing gear was unacceptable and I requested my funds returned after the third and last gear was sent. After more then a year you still are less then truthful, but still refuse to refund my money. I do not want your gear...and I told you I want a refund, when I sent your gear back the third time. Your have disrespected the agreement and failed to produce serviceable landing gear and you still hold $430.00 of my funds. After 14 month of dealing with you, I told you back in Dec. that I was requesting a full refund and that I purchased Robart gear to replace the landing gear you failed to send to me. I had to wait months to have my landing gear returned by you and it never was acceptable when I did finally receive it.

You did not stand by your product with me and your lack of integrity in all this reached a point, its just disgraceful. You know I never flew the landing gear...the first set fell apart on the first engine test and I sent you pictures of the parts laying on the ground-I also sent you the parts. Your second set never fit the wing landing gear rails, for it was to wide, and your third set you sent me would not retract, and one gear had to much side play to fly. And yes...it has been over a year...and who's fault is that. Some how you managed to get my first negative report of the cheap Chinese gear you sent me removed...and your behavior since shows just exactly who you are sir. I have been in this hobby for over 60 years Bruce...and you are the first U.S. company I have lost funds with.

Your customer service is in serious need of upgrading-and you owe me $430.00. Man up and get real Bruce.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 03-04-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:00 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Bobby, sorry to hear of your problems. My suggestion; next time use PayPal (keeps dealers honest
Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM
spec450

Hi all,
Sean Crain from Lemoore, Ca here. Here's my ESM Skyraider. Has an OS 1.20 on it. I would really like to throw a DLE 30 on it, but I am by no means a builder so i'm stuck with this nitro engine for now. Although its nice to see the build thread on here of how it was accomplished.

Name:	IMG_4046.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2251249  
Old 01-16-2018, 09:20 AM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Skyraider

Originally Posted by Shaun Evans
Hi,

Anyone got a Ziroli-sized Skyraider they wanna sell?
Shaun
if you are looking to build a ziroli sky raider
just get the plans and find a good kit cutter
thats what I did I’m starting to build mine late this winter
Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 AM
mallen

Hello to all,
I just purchased two ESM Skyraiders. I first ordered the camo version and the more I saw the Navy version while looking for pic's and on the forums, the more I liked it so I went and ordered one of those also. Not sure if I'm keeping both at this point but I'm going to build the Navy version first. I'm hoping to have it ready for the Scale NAT's in June. I'm planning on going electric for this one. One question I do have, can someone tell me the correct scale tire diameter. I ordered a set of ESM air retracts and the tires it came with are a little bigger than the stock tires that came with the kit. Both have plastic wheels so once I know what the correct scale size should be, I'll order a set of aluminum wheels and tires.

By the way, I'm going with an E-Flite 160 motor running on 12 cells. I'm hoping this setup will be enough for this plane.

Thanks! Mark
Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 AM
mallen

Originally Posted by WARBIRDRCER
Skyraider Brotherhood Update, we now have 3.5 in our squadron.

Welcome to the Skyraider Brotherhood

3. SBDdauntless

Skyraider Brotherhood
Start Date: 07-23-2014
Current Date: 07-23-2014
Roster

1. The late Charlie Kellogg
2. Warbirdrcer
2.5 Talimena Kidd
3. SBDdauntless

If you would like to join the Skyraider Brotherhood please send me a PM, or ask by posting your request here. I will track and assign you a number.

Never can tell when you may run into another Skyraider Brother some where, so join now.
Oh by the way, I would like to be added to the Skyraider Brotherhood list. Thanks! Mark
Old 12-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Wondering of this thread is still alive! Also wanting to join the Skyraider Brotherhood. I'm currently building the Ziroli design. Great build, can't wait to fly her.
tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 AM
tailskid

Now that's a chunk of work!
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Fili

Well, I'll post a few more pics. If anyone else is here and interested, I'll continue.
tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 12-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Fili

Sorry, my computer was acting funky....
Old 12-31-2018, 12:14 PM
Bob Paris

Happy New Years Eve,
I have my ESM Skyraider ready to fly too...for several years. I had a real issue with one of the venders selling retracts...and just set it aside for a while. I pulled it out two day's ago and installed EFlights 60/1.20 rotating retracts in the model and now ready to fly. I have some adjusting to do with the radio program...but other then this...I'm read to maiden the model. It was ready to fly three years ago. I installed a retract tail wheel into my airframe and added external tanks I purchased from VQ Warbirds. My Skyraider has a PTE 36 installed and the engine is a good one for me so far.

I also have a kit of the Global Skyraider, but I have no information on how this kit when built flies. Does anyone have any information on the Global Skyraider kit.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Fili

Nice Bob! I'm still plodding along on mine. The weather up here is perfect for building. getting very close to paint. custom graphics from Callie are here, got started on the cockpit. I'm really liking the lines of the Skyraider, she's
tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Fili

A few more pics

tailskid (02-03-2020)
Old 01-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Bob Paris

Fili,
The detail is amazing...well done Sir.
The new receiver I purchased for my Skyraider was DOA...and I needed to send t to Horizon to fix or replace. One of these day's...I will fly this model.
Soft Landings Always,
Bob Paris

Last edited by Bob Paris; 01-20-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.