Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle" - Engine Question:

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle" - Engine Question:

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle" - Engine Question:

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to get some opinions about using an OS Max 1.20AX engine in the ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle"?

I am also thinking of the DLE 30 Gas engine as an alternate engine. I have anew OS Max 1.20AX engine with about 8-10 runs on it. I would like to use this engine and not have to lay out another $300.00 if possible, it seems like such a nice engine & very powerful. I had it in a "U-CAN DO 3D -60" & it had unlimited vertical performance. However I don’t want the engine to be marginal.

ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle"

Manufacture Specs:
Wing Span: Approx. 71”
Fuse Length: 62.3”
Wing Area: 6.11sq. ft
Wing Loading: 33 oz/sq. ft
Weight Approx.: 13.5lbs.
Engine: 1.08 2 cycle -1.20-1.50 4-cycle or 26CC gas
Prop Recommendation: (For OS 1.20) 16x8 or 15x10

Would this OS Max 1.20AX engine with a - "J'TEC"-Radiowave In-Cowlmuffler, set up inverted, be a good choice? I don't want it to be marginal in where I need to run the engine at 75% to 100% full power just to keep the plane flying.

As per the specs, it says that the total airplane weight should come in at around 13.5 lbs. This is debatable...... I weighed out all the pieces of mine and mine came out to 15.4lbs. From what I have read in other threads this is in the same ball park as other ESM -P-51B planes.

Also if I go with the OS Max 1.20AX, I also need a recommendation for Prop sizes for this particular Warbird / Engine 1.20 OS Max setup. (If I choose to go this way)?

I have checked with OS, and OS Max recommends 16X8, 15X10. But I was looking for someone who may have a similar set up and which Prop Size, Brand & Type that worked well for them.

So what would you recommend? Go with the OS Max 1.20AX engine with a - "J'TEC"-Radiowave In-Cowl muffler? Or buy a new DLE30 size Gas engine; however keep in mind I do not want to sacrifice the plane but if the OS Max will fly it well, then Great…..

Thanks Guys
Ed
Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly mine with a SV26cc, it flies very scale, but not a whole lot of power to spare. 16x8 is the best combo.