Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

rustoleum 2x with ppg clear

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

rustoleum 2x with ppg clear

Old 12-07-2014, 04:11 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default rustoleum 2x with ppg clear

Ok I know we all have different budgets when it comes to building or restoring our war birds

I got to say as a somewhat of a new modler (3 years) I was intimidated about restoring my Top Flite Gaint P51 that unfortunately hit a tree on the bottom of a really nice big loop

I had to order a new wing and decided to try my had at fiberglassing

I used 1/2 oz coth next time I would go with 3/4 oz with Z pox finishing epoxy

Now I wanted to do a full war bird with panel lines and rivits but I wanted to get this p51 done to complete in the NASA Scale finales, so I decided to do Miss American as she is almost all smooth to save time. Unfortunately I got behind and had to compet with my TFG P40 and one 1st in fun scale Novice

As money was tight I used Rustolum 2x. I have had very good luck with this paint and I sand my primer with 1000grit and heat the can very hot (use a glove to hold it) it gives good results

But as I have a DLE55 with a scale kelio muffler it makes some what of a mess every were

So the main reason for this post is there are lots of guys asking if they can put a real good clear over spray paint

And Im going to say yes

I only let the paint dry for one week before clear coating it

If I didn't have access to a great buddy shop I would of tried on of the 2 part clears in a spray can that has the actovator on the bottom

I only put on 1 light mist coat waited 1 min and sprayed it on

The picture assembled is just the can paint with no clear. Its amazing in person

So what you think about my first try at fiberglass and painting?

Next project is a Jerry Bates SBC with panel line etc with flat clear coat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141207_141519.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2053017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141207_132453.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2053018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141126_103903.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2053019   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141207_144243.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2053020  

Last edited by mikes68charger; 12-07-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking really good!
I am glad to here that you can clear over Rustoleum.
I too spray with the paint heated and it really flows well for a paint from a spray can.

Dave
Old 12-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Lake Flyer

So how do you go about heating a can of rustoleum ? I tossed and old can of aerosol paint on a bonfire once. It did not end well
Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 PM
DLEVETT

Hey Lake Flyer,

I just boil some water in the kettle, pour it into a old coffee can ( its deep and narrow) and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
I then place the paint can into the coffee can with a weight on top submersing at least half of the spray can in water.
Its hot when it comes out, so I too wear gloves (figured that out by accident) lol
The paint after shaking for a minute or so sprays very clean and wets out really well.
It was a trick from an guy that competed years ago at the scale national level passed on to me.
Try it, it really works.

Dave
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Lake Flyer

Thanks, I might give that a try. My buddy with the paint booth passed away so I need a Plan B for painting. I was considering Rustoleum. I had not heard about heating the can, great idea. I just don't want a repeat of the exploding can. I always wondered why it said not to put them in a fire
Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 AM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

I spray a high end clear coat over all of my paint jobs. I always prime and base my airplanes with rattle cans. Only overnight cure time is nessesary for it to gas off, then you can spray the clear coat. i do all of this in my garage or driveway.PPG also makes a flat clear if your interested in going that route..but i highly suggest clearing your model with a good clear coat. Rattle can primer is not fuel proof and will cause a hell of a time after the exhaust hits it, you will be upset...dont ask me how i know this.

Cole
Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DLEVETT
Hey Lake Flyer,

I just boil some water in the kettle, pour it into a old coffee can ( its deep and narrow) and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
I then place the paint can into the coffee can with a weight on top submersing at least half of the spray can in water.
Its hot when it comes out, so I too wear gloves (figured that out by accident) lol
The paint after shaking for a minute or so sprays very clean and wets out really well.
It was a trick from an guy that competed years ago at the scale national level passed on to me.
Try it, it really works.

Dave
Just using the hottest tap water you can get does the same thing. You don't have to boil the water.
I've used this method for years, before i started just using all of the PPG product line.

Last edited by Greg Wright; 12-08-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
Just using the hottest tap water you can get does the same thing. You don't have to boil the water.
I've used this method for years, before i started just using all of the PPG product line.
Ive used hot water poored out of the tap with good results but the best results were with a heat gun about 6in away

PS if you over heat the can the bottom of the can pops/bulges out for safety