Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

3W Bearcat with Moki 300

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

3W Bearcat with Moki 300

Old 07-06-2020, 03:08 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some close ups

The calculated (and long in advance estimated and hoped for) weight is about 1 kg, without cylinder or electric actuator. In my case, a large 28 mm thin-walled lightweight cylinder is added, I don't like the electric actuators very much. My colleagues prefer electric, they don't like the air.

That is pretty OK for a gear of this type and almost 500 mm length (strut with wheel). Carbon is not a good choice here because of the enormous complexity of the parts.

We will do the carbon one on the FW190 D9, which is much better suited for that

Summary:

Data:

1:4,25

Overall length without wheel 440 mm

wheel 140 mm

Suspension 2-stage ratio 5:1 spring force soft step / hard step

Final pressure per leg 330 N

Oil damping

Spring travel approx 55 mm (!)

weight 960 gr (without actuator)

Operation: at choice; air or electric

Uplock: no (deliberately not intended to keep the function as simple and safe as possible. This function is performed by the inner landing gear door (which is there anyway, why not make itself doubly useful)

Downlock: automatic forced sequence

Even if it still has to prove itself in practice, I am confident that this construction will work (knock three times on wood...)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9942.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2267787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9943.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	2267788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9944.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2267789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9945.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	2267790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9946.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2267791  
Old 07-07-2020, 03:06 AM
Jimbone

Looking good. Were you able to find the paint codes for the purple and orange rare bear scheme?
Old 07-18-2020, 12:20 PM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Detlef, your landing gear are real works of mechanical art. I thought I was showing an amazing amount of determination to finish my Bearcat project but you make me look like a slacker!! HA HA HA!!!!! Great work. Please keep us updated on all your progress.

Jimbone, I gave up trying to get actual paint codes so I decided to wing it. In keeping with my ďstand off scaleĒ philosophy I decided to let my eye do the deciding. I went to Sherwin Williams and picked swatches that best approximated what I was seeing in the many photos online. The purple was always going to be the hard one to match. It needs to be as blue as it is purple and I think I nailed it. Sherwin Williams ďValiant Violet.Ē Iím quite happy with it. I have the great fortune to have a good friend with a professional paint booth at my disposal. What a blessing!

Im a big fan of epoxy paint so I had Klass Kote mix the paints. Todayís progress:

Old 07-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Jimbone

That looks awesome! Going to be one hell of a plane when itís done. Color looks Looks like a good match to me
Old 07-19-2020, 06:07 AM
mitchilito

Yep, in these iPhone pictures it looks like an exact match for the big Bear. And itís kind of like the big one also in that it looks bluer or more purple depending on the lighting.

Iím real happy.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:42 AM
mitchilito

A couple more views in the scorching sun. Itís HOT. Here in NC.

The fuselage now needs a vigorous rubbing out to look right.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:04 AM
mitchilito

If you've been following this thread you saw that, for a couple days, I was determined to do a temporary test flight paint job of the simple gold and white scheme. Upon further thought, that was not feasible. Obviously Iím headed down the path toward the 2014 scheme that I absolutely love.

I had bought the complete mask package for that scheme quite a while ago - from Callie Graphics. I just got around to looking at it today and Iím very impressed. Leave it to Callie to nail it. Sheís been at it for a long time.

Last edited by mitchilito; 07-20-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:39 PM
mitchilito

Iím very happy with my cooling solution. Not scale - but burning up a nearly $5000 dollar engine just isnít an option.

Itís almost invisible.

The following users liked this post:
Jimbone (07-21-2020)
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
mitchilito

Holy cow, how long has it been since I posted?! Other projects got in the way of bear progresss but I’m back at it!,

Wet sanded entire airframe and applied Callie graphics today. It’s actually getting very close to done now. Ya-hoooooooo.

also painting a classic flash jet at the same time. I’ll throw a pic in of that too. Where you see grey primer is going to be rare bear purple. What the heck, I had a bunch left over!!

Last edited by mitchilito; Yesterday at 12:29 PM.