Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Will a DLE 61 with Jtec muffler fit inside a TopFlite?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Will a DLE 61 with Jtec muffler fit inside a TopFlite?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a DLE 61 with Jtec muffler fit inside a TopFlite?

I was going to buy a DLE55, but am now thinking of fudging it up to a DLE61 instead. The slightly larger engine and little bit extra pulling power for my Pica 88" Spitfire can't hurt. Have any of you guys seen or fit a DLE 61 with the Jtec wrap-around-muffler into a TopFlite P-51 or the Pica or TopFlite Spitfire? More of you guys have flown a TopFlite mustang then you have flown a Pica Spitfire. So, if you tell me that it fits inside the cowl of your TopFlite Giant P-51, then I figure it should fit inside my Pica Spitfire cowl too.

While we are on it, any thoughts about the DLE 61 with the $90 Jtec muffler, vs the stock DLE 55RE with the factory muffler? I'm hoping the slightly larger engine is worth the extra $40, plus a $90 muffler.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that you always have the option of slightly rotating the cylinder in order to acquire clearance. You still need to keep it centered on the crosshairs of the firewall, or whatever means necessary used to align the engine. Slightly rotating the cylinder has NO effect on running characteristics. I took this step on a big P-47 to avoid buying an expensive muffler.

So, if you do buy the aftermarket muffler, you have the option of a slightly different orientation to make everything fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02704.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2091832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02706.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2091833  
Old 04-25-2015, 09:03 AM
rustyrivet

Lifer,

By choosing the DLE61 over the rear exaust DLE55re for the Spitfire, I almost feel like I'm making more trouble for myself then it's worth for the little extra power.....especially that it will cost me $130 more for that gain. Looking at your photos, I can see the DLE 61 wll likely be TIGHT in the Spitfire and can't be sure tilting the engine will work. I intend to expose the head for cooling, but don't want to cut the cowl sides or have anything proptruding out of the sides.
Perhaps I will try to call Jtec next week and see if they can tell me if they know if their muffler on the DLE61 will fit inside the Topflite Giant Spitfire. I need to make a decision soon before the Tower Hobbies discounts end April 30. (April coupon worth aprox 10%+ off of my final bill)

It's a coinicidence that you are showing me the DLE61 engine in the Tarheel Hal. I still haven't ruled out buying a TopFlite giant P-47 kit from Tower in the next week and my main motive for wanting a DLE61. (I already have the Pica kit 88" Spit kit, but can still elect to build the P-47 instead). I always felt like the Giant P-47 is better suited with a G62........and I suppose the bigger DLE61 will be an equal to the G62 vs the DLE55. In my opinion, the Giant P-47 youtube video flights look slightly anemic with a DLE55 and better with the G62.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 04-25-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rusty,

Here's the Tarheel Hal with the engine in the previous post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPiCEolZ8s

That is a 55 with a 22x10 prop. It needed 24 ounces of bb's and epoxy poured in just behind the firewall to balance. It flies just fine and is far from anemic!

My new Tarheel Hal, renamed the Missouri Fury, has a G-62 and needed no weight and balanced just fine. Hasn't flown yet but will as soon as the weather around here stabilizes.

The 55RA will do fine in the Spitfire and will simplify your installation. Also, I think it would be cheaper than buying an engine then spending another $130 on a muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2091993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	957.7 KB
ID:	2091994  

Last edited by Lifer; 04-25-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 PM
rustyrivet

Yes, your plane does indeed fly very nice as well very spirited with the DLE 55. Your piloting skills are fun to watch too!

Perhaps I had seen a P-47 or two that were built too heavy for the DLE55.(??) As you know, some folks build these TF kits out to 28-29 lbs! You can probably agree though that your fast P-47 will now become even faster with the G62. However, now after realizing that your engine was DLE 55 with a side mount muffler and seeing how tight it might be for a Spitfire, I'm starting to think that the DL61 is my asking for trouble. Jtec will have the last word on it (I might call TopFlite too to ask them). If nobody can tell me if the DLE61 with the Jtec wrap around muffler WILL definitely fit inside the TopFite Spitfire cowl, then I will pass it up and let somebody else instead try it. Because I intend to build out a P-47 kit and NOT the ARF, I still feel more comfortable using a G62, (or, a DLE61 if it will fit.) I have watched dozens of videos of the Top Flite P47 and the Pica 88" Spit in the last month before I decided I like both and I still can't rule out one for the other. But, I already bought the Spitfire on Ebay in a nice condition kit at $350. I think I'll buy the P-47 kit too......as it never hurts to hoard away one extra kit and let the wife try to figure out what to do with the stuff when you die. LOL.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:41 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Best combinations I’ve found for various warbirds I have are:
TF P51 with DJ72cc. Nothing at the field can outrun this mustang . APC T6 racing prop.
TF P47 with G62. Need the nose weight and can’t go wrong w G62 in any warbird. T6 prop.
Pica spitfire with DLE55RA. Easier to fit in that small cowl w good performance . T6 prop.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Lifer,

By choosing the DLE61 over the rear exaust DLE55re for the Spitfire, I almost feel like I'm making more trouble for myself then it's worth for the little extra power.....especially that it will cost me $130 more for that gain. Looking at your photos, I can see the DLE 61 wll likely be TIGHT in the Spitfire and can't be sure tilting the engine will work. I intend to expose the head for cooling, but don't want to cut the cowl sides or have anything proptruding out of the sides.
Perhaps I will try to call Jtec next week and see if they can tell me if they know if their muffler on the DLE61 will fit inside the Topflite Giant Spitfire. I need to make a decision soon before the Tower Hobbies discounts end April 30. (April coupon worth aprox 10%+ off of my final bill)

It's a coinicidence that you are showing me the DLE61 engine in the Tarheel Hal. I still haven't ruled out buying a TopFlite giant P-47 kit from Tower in the next week and my main motive for wanting a DLE61. (I already have the Pica kit 88" Spit kit, but can still elect to build the P-47 instead). I always felt like the Giant P-47 is better suited with a G62........and I suppose the bigger DLE61 will be an equal to the G62 vs the DLE55. In my opinion, the Giant P-47 youtube video flights look slightly anemic with a DLE55 and better with the G62.

Get the 55RA instead!!!
The 61 is just not as good as the 55RA. I used a 55 side exh in the TF P-51 and it was just fine with a wrap around muffler, Jtec or Bisson. The 55RA is a better engine than the 61 and has more grunt than the older 55. If you use that engine in any warbird you should be happy.
One thing I did that really helped was to cross drill the heads of the muffler bolts and safety wire them. Iíve never had a problem since and it really helps on the wrap around Pitts Mufflers.

If you have to have the 61 I have a new one sitting on the bench here Iíll trade you for a new 55RA!
Old 07-29-2020, 01:01 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

I have a DLE .61 for my Top RC Mustang. Jtech has a P-51 muffler that is really slimmed down and has a smaller can. Fits inside of my cowl as far as I can tell by dry fitting. The project will resume in the fall. My DLE 61 in my Hellcat runs incredible. I didn't even have to change the high or low needle valves it ran perfect right out of the box have over 40 flights on the Hellcat now.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:52 PM
Chris Nicastro

I’ve got the 61 in my TF Corsair, the second 61, and have flown it for a season. I used to have the 55RA in it and it definitely flew better with the 55RA. The 61 pulls hard for sure but it doesn’t rev as much as the 55RA.
I have two 61’s and planned on putting the second one in a TF P-40 but I’d rather go with the 55RA and or the DLE 85!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:18 AM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Ive got a 3W-80 in my T/F P-47. Haven't flow it yet, but it can swing a 24x12 like crazy. Maiden this summer.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:14 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Iíve installed both DA and DLE 85 in the TF P47. Allows swinging big props and sound great on low high speed passes to rattle the dishes.
Put high torque servos on this set up, esp on the elevators. At least 100 oz torque. Hitec 645 will be fine. Donít ask how I found out!
DA85 for TF P40 will be perfect too w that big cowl.
My buddy has DLE111 in a Ziroli Bearcat th‚t is pretty fast too.
But none of above can outrun my TF P51 w DJ72 turning T6 prop.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:30 AM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

I had a Saito R-90 in it at first. Took it out to use in a Zirolli Bearcat. I then put in the 3W-80. With the stock cowl, I will not have to add any weight. With the Fiberglass Specialities, I will need a oz or 2 in the tail.