Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

80" Spitfire Set up!!!!!!! What do you think!!!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

80" Spitfire Set up!!!!!!! What do you think!!!!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Georgiadude2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" Spitfire Set up!!!!!!! What do you think!!!!

This is my first build after trainer.... Are these components ie servos and tx/rx going to be ok for this warbird... I am going to get the dla 35ra engine..Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Find a local club,make a friend of someone experienced in big birds and seek help. This is a BIG step from flying a primary trainer.

Best regards.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Elcorro

Looks like a nice plane you have going on. I agree with Lifer, if all your experience is a trainer, then do yourself a favor and your wallet, keep your Spitfire in the box and take the next step and get help as well as fly a low wing trainer, use a flight simulator, and most importantly as Lifer mentioned join a club.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Georgiadude2012

I fly all the time guys I have been flying for 3 years now with a trainer/instructor at my club and without a trainer/solo for the last 7 months..... Just wanted to get a few second opinions other than the club guys on the set up.

..... Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 05:58 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure what you are going to use the S3004 servos for but they are not adequate for any control surface on an 80" warbird . I would use the Hitec 645 on 6v for all surfaces and possibly double up on the rudder servo if it also operates the tailwheel. This is considered giant scale and as such needs much more servo power than trainer planes. There is a lot of info in RCU about giant scale requirements and setup .
Welcome to the next level . You will enjoy it.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 PM
ForcesR

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Servo Torque Calulator Program

Most of us have the tendency to select servos with torque values that are well above what is actually required to operate a RC model aircraft safely. This program is very useful for selecting servos that have the required torque to operate all flight controls.

Roger

http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Servo%20To...0Caculator.htm
Old 06-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Dude, to quote you from the beginners forum:
"Seems a little redundant to get training on tail draggers/ war bird trainers when I have my trainer beside me with a buddy cord? Maybe in the old days you had to fly every plane known to man before you flew the type of plane that you wanted, but things are a little different now days with technology and real flight sims/ video games etc."
Things haven't changed as much as you think. If you really believe that a sim and trainer will have you ready to fly a large warbird, you need to go back and do some serious rethinking. A high wing trainer and a large, low wing warbird won't fly the same and, without some time on a low wing plane to get used to the lower stability of a low wing plane, you can pretty much plan on crashing within the first few flights. For that very reason, I have plans for four aerobatic planes designed around a 50cc gas engine. UNTIL I GET A LOT MORE EXPERIENCE FLYING COMPARABLE SMALLER PLANES, THEY WON'T BE LEAVING THE PAPER