Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Old 09-22-2022, 01:32 PM
DaleCS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear from you! I did make it to Florida, but not by SUV. Stuff happened, so we just made a quick trip down and back by air, in July. Hot, humid, but no crowds. Clearwater Beach ain't nothing like I remember - too bad. Looks "disney-fied." Did stop by FOF for an afternoon. Kermit wasn't there, but I did get to see a completed Curtis Robin that was once in pieces on a floor up near me in Howell, Michigan. Apparently, the owner up here got the restoration done and sold it to Kermit. The tour guide at FOF said it flies like a brick - severely underpowered. So, it's a museum piece.

When you get your Hellcat flying, please post some flight pictures!
Old 09-22-2022, 02:01 PM
DaleCS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Progress! I completed the rib stitch/tape job on the rudder, today. Used pinked tape from Dynamic Balsa and simulated stitching from Ken Kosmenko (BC, Canada).

Struggling with my control panel access hatch. I'm not satisfied with the latches I'm finding on-line. I've got some ideas on how to cobble together something using magnets or making a couple custom latches from bits from the shop. I'll try to get some pics of the space I have to work with and my magnet concept. Ideas, welcomed!

Cockpit detail source is out of production for the moment. Emailing with JP Warbirds - they may have room in their schedule next Spring. If anyone else is looking for a 1/6-scale Hellcat cockpit details, let me know or perhaps contact JP Warbirds. If there's enough interest, perhaps they'll, put a kit together. Yes, I have a kit, but I'm looking for one to match the detail that ChadV was producing.

Simulated stitching in place.

Stitching taped. There's something satisfying about this.

Just missing rockets!

Tried and true wing retention method. I used the same on Byron Hellcat as a backup. I really didn't want to put holes through the carbon fiber tubes. The block resting on the wing is for the left wing. The block contains a 1/4-20 retainer nut. There's an identical block in the right wing, shown with a nylon bolt clamping the outer panel to the inner panel. I plan to use nylon socket head bolts - should be easier to tighten with an Allen-key vs. standard screwdriver.