Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

How to Build a B-29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

How to Build a B-29

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile B-29

Originally Posted by kram

Straight in all directions!

Take a deep breath!

(or start on the other side)
Kram,
I am curious about the retracts. Who are the manufactured by? I noticed later in the thread that you mentioned some modifications to the Robart nose gear. Are the mains by someone else and the nose by Robart? Also curious about he wheels and if Dwayne installs brakes on the plane?
Thanks
Fred
Old 01-26-2018, 05:03 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Zero:

Sorry about the delay

I haven't been tracking the thread very carefully since the maiden

Dwayne says his big (1/10) bomber has Century Jet gear that he modified to improve durability and strength, mounted with Robart wheels and brakes on the mains by a local machinist

The smaller one (this thread) is Robart gear and wheels and brakes all around. Cheap wheels you see here were just to template the build

Mark
Old 01-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

Smile B-29

Four cowl assemblies almost ready to go

I try to create them all identical, tracing them off a single pattern, but note that each part is labeled with its engine numbes, so that tiny little tweaks can be made to each assembly for a perfect fit

Making four of each thing, "assembly line" fashion really shortens manufacture and assemble time

Aluminum engine mounts are a must.

Period
Mark, I am curious what brand of aluminum motor mounts Dewayne used. I have started collecting everything to build one and the first thing I found was tow new Saito 91's.
Also do you know someone else in your group of friends that has a project B-29 that they have tired of?
Thanks
Fred
Old 09-12-2018, 06:08 PM
PirateKevin

Default Just beginning my build of the 169” B-29

You must be looking through a limited device or web portal.

This thread is quite long: as close as I could make it to an Illustrated Build Manual, start to finish

Dwayne has a dozen or so additional flights on the bird now and it still looks good. I consider the thread to be complete, although comments and questions are welcome

Sounds like you're on your way

Hope it helps

Mark
Hi I’ve read thru the whole posts and I’m getting ready to build the 169” size and I’m really thinking that the 4 stroke Saito engines would be nice and sound terrific. Which ones would you recommend? I’ve been looking at the Gas versions but then I’ve read that they can be problematic but I’ve also read that they are great. Any info would really appreciated.
thanks and you guys have made some beautiful Aircraft
Kevin
Old 09-13-2018, 05:20 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin:

The two 169”s I am familiar with belong to Dwayne and Frank. Built in about the same time frame, they each have several seasons of flight on them and both pilots are the elite of the bomber community.

Dwayne put Saito 125’s in his, the same engines I have in my Wingspan 138” B-17. They run great and sound great and turn 3B MAS 15x7’s about 8,000. Dwayne, who is accustomed to overpowered bombers, mildly *****es about “it’s too scale,” meaning he can’t yank it around. He thinks OS 120’s would be better

Frank’s has DLE-20’s turning 3B MAS 15x8’s about 7,000 and he never complains about available power, but that may just be a stylistic difference

i LOVE my Saito 125’s, and it seems to me the gas engines, although much cheaper to fuel, require a lot more tweaking to get just right. Frank is a gas engine “whisperer,” and it took him a while to get all 4 where he wanted them. Not sure the average bloke (me) could’ve done that

hope this helps

Mark
Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 AM
PirateKevin

I was looking at the FG30. 1.8ci. Gas or the glow version. I have a couple Glow Saito 4 strokes and I really like them as well.
Thanks again!
Kevin
Old 11-04-2018, 09:41 AM
PirateKevin

Default Wing sheeting 1/16” VS 3/32”

In my parts kit it comes with 1/16” wing sheeting. It's commonly used on 6-8’ span wings does Dwane use 1/16” on his builds. It just seems to me that 3/32” would have a better compression strength which is the cause of wing failure. The bottom could be 1/16” because its got more than enough tensile strength but that would change the airfoil flatter on the bottom slightly. I’d really like your opion on this
Thanks
Kevin
Old 11-04-2018, 09:56 AM
PirateKevin

Lol. Oh man I was looking at the wrong bundle of wood. I think I’ve answered this myself. They supplied 3/32” x 48” for the inner wing section. Wow. To many late nights prepping. I try to use the “measure twice and cut once” Philosophy when it comes to this. I’ve never built a aircraft this big before. They are in their own League