Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Introduction of new plane TopRCModel All Composite Giant Scale Warbird 50-60cc P-51D

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Introduction of new plane TopRCModel All Composite Giant Scale Warbird 50-60cc P-51D

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:21 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Well, I'd say just inspect very carefully. My Flaps and ailerons were and are binding right out of the box. I've had so many issues just with the wings that it has turned into a major project. I am so frustrated with this build that it is not funny. I am actually really sad. I don't even want to pick it up and continue building.
The same problems that plagued the ESM ARF's! I'm willing to bet that these model aircraft are also assembled by the same people from the old ESM assembly line. The flight control hinges insertion holes were all drilled off center thus causing binding. With so many other numerous problems with the aircraft, I got so fustrated trying to assemble the 89" WS ESM Spitfire back in 2011, I put it back on the shelf and its been there since and has never flown. I will try and finish the assembly this winter.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ESM Spitfire Giant 50cc, 89 WS 001.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	2135311  
Old 12-10-2015, 07:28 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to support Mike at F3A as he is a really good guy. This business really is awful these days and somebody like Mike is just trying to do the right thing out of his passion for RC. The problems you noted are the exact same ones I am having. The flaps and ailerons are a total mess. Mike is working with me and I hope we can reach a solution together. I was almost giddy pulling this thing out of the box. It is beautiful. The engineering is a different story.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 PM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, you seem to have the wrong mindset here.
Giant scale always has been, is, and will always be 90% preparation / ground checks and 10% flying. And that's the beauty of it (at least for me).

There are lots of alternatives for people who want to "bind and fly"

TopRC offer a very attractive product, but don't mistake it for a Parkzone foamy

My 2c
Nick
Old 12-11-2015, 04:02 AM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Nick, roger that it's not a foamy. Roger that it is an attractive airplane. But do you really think it unreasonable to expect that the ailerons and flaps should be hinged correctly? The method used by the factory makes it impossible to solve any alignment problem on the wing side. You can't just crack open the wing or redrill holes. That's physically impossible to do because of the construction method. So the only option is to rework the control surfaces. Sounds easy right? Well as you can see in the sample pictures I posted the ailerons and flaps have multiple drill attempts from the factory. They removed a lot of wood and damaged the substructure. So, there's no good fix. That's what I am struggling with. Mike is working with me on a solution. As I said above, I am a big F3AU fan and I know this is a tough business. But I need to have ailerons and flaps that operate correctly.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:44 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kdunlap
Nick, roger that it's not a foamy. Roger that it is an attractive airplane. But do you really think it unreasonable to expect that the ailerons and flaps should be hinged correctly? The method used by the factory makes it impossible to solve any alignment problem on the wing side. You can't just crack open the wing or redrill holes. That's physically impossible to do because of the construction method. So the only option is to rework the control surfaces. Sounds easy right? Well as you can see in the sample pictures I posted the ailerons and flaps have multiple drill attempts from the factory. They removed a lot of wood and damaged the substructure. So, there's no good fix. That's what I am struggling with. Mike is working with me on a solution. As I said above, I am a big F3AU fan and I know this is a tough business. But I need to have ailerons and flaps that operate correctly.
kdunlap; when I spend $750.00 on an ARF, I should not have to fill and redrill and center all the flight control hinge holes. I should not have to peel back the Solartex covering on the ailerons, flaps and elevators to cut, reshape and sand the flight contols to match the correct contor of the wings and horizontal stabs. I should not have to sand the crap out of an engine mount cylinder/tube to find out that it's still to large in diameter to slide into the nose of the fuselage. I should not have to order a replacement engine mount cylinder/tube and then have to sand the crap out of it to the point where I can no longer sand it due to too little material remaining on the side walls, then it still does not slide into the fuselage because it is still to large in diameter to fit. I should not have to grind and remove a whole lot fiberglass material in the nose of the fuselage to fit the engine mount cylinder/tube, then find out I have very little fiberglass material left in the fuselage nose area to safely mount and expoxy the motor mount cylinder/tube. Yes I did get very much fustrated with this assembly back in 2011. I have calmed down since 2011, so I should be able to tackle and finish with assembling the Spitfire!

Roger

Last edited by ForcesR; 12-11-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kdunlap, Roger, I hear you
All I'm saying is that what you get for $750 is $2,000 worth of materials and labour in US/Europe rates, in the shape of a TopRC ARF.
Even if you put in some extra work it's still a bargain.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:14 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kdnulap can you post some pics or video of what is going on have you contact gator-rc?

I was worried about the same thing, looks nice and pretty in the pics but when you get it turns to be a mess. Same thing with many of the ESM planes that I have seen require massive amount of re-doing.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Hey guys our lineup pf Warbirds is scheduled to be on display and for sale at the upcoming WRAM show in February.
Come by the Robart display to see them.
In the meantime we have all in stock and ready to ship.
If interested give us a call at 800 380 9373
We are getting very positive feedback on all 3 planes. Yes there have been a few complaints but certainly nothing that's unexpected for any plane hitting the marketplace.
Thanks for all your support. We couldn't do it without you guys.
Mike Mueller