Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

what is all this hype about warbirds crashing on dead sticks?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

what is all this hype about warbirds crashing on dead sticks?

Old 09-26-2003, 01:28 AM
faisalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is all this hype about warbirds crashing on dead sticks?

I will fly my first ever Mustang. I have read that warbirds come into a roll if there is a deadstick. I want to know what exactly is a roll and what causes it and what is the best way to get out/handle it? Also a deadstick means a definite roll or can they glide like other planes?
Old 09-26-2003, 07:12 AM
Anderson

Default RE: what is all this hype about warbirds crashing on dead sticks?

faisalk, the roll refers to what actually happens during a stall of the airplane.
Stall, when the wings stop flying. Don't plan on a deadstick instead do everything while the plane is on the ground to ensure a good maiden flight. Ask for help and a spotter once you've made a take off.

What make Mustang?

Old 09-26-2003, 07:36 AM
faisalk

It is a WM GS miss america edition.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:09 AM
fossil
My Feedback: (25)

Warbirds don't roll just because they dead stick. As long as you keep the nose down and keep up some airspeed they should be fine. The roll is going to happen if you don't keep some airspeed and it stalls, then a wing will drop and you will crash. So as long as you keep the nose down and good airspeed you shouldn't stall, just don't try to glide it too far. If you can't get back to the runway you may have to set it down off the runway. A gentle landing in the weeds is always better than a stall. Best advice is to spend more time breaking in your engine than you normally would on the ground so it runs perfect and know how long you can fly on your fuel amount so your chances of a dead stick are slim.
fossil
Old 09-26-2003, 08:18 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know where you read about the deadstick roll, I've haven't heard of it. Nor have I heard any "hype about warbirds crashing on dead sticks", must be we aren't reading the same posts.
There is a tendancy in some (not all) warbirds to stall on one wing first, resulting in what is commonly refered to as a 'snap' or sudden roll, but this happens because the airspeed becomes to low, and can happen regardless of whether the engine is running or not. This can happen to sport planes as well. Like all planes, it is important to keep a reasonable amout of airspeed when the engine quits (AND when it's running for that matter).
Warbirds usually have a higher wing loading and more drag than sport planes, meaning they will glide but not as well as a sport plane. If it has retracts, it is advisable to leave the gear up when the engine quits, unless you are SURE you can make the runway with enough airspeed to make a proper flair. Warbirds glide much better with the wheels up, and if you have to land somewhere other than the runway, having the wheels up will cause less damage.
If you read somewhere about "hype about warbirds crashing on dead sticks", I say it is rubbish and you should disregard.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 AM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Fossil,

Great advice. Question... Most engine manufactureres (gas) say to break in the engine in the air, not the ground. I always run at least 2-3 tanks of fuel through my glow engines on the ground, and still have some "tense" moments with it in the air for the first few flights. It scares me to think of only running 1/2 to 1 tank of gas through a gasoline engine on the ground before going up.

What is your take on running more gas through it on the ground despite what the manufacturers say? I'm sure they say that because of the lack of air cooling when not flying.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-26-2003, 10:24 AM
deputydog

The gas theory is true. Put 1 tank through it to make sure the low and hi needles are ok(usually you dont touch them the first couple of flights!) and check all bolts for tightness then go fly. A gas motor is quite remarkable in that they very seldom flame out. Run a petrolium oil mixture the first 4 gallons and then go to synthetic. Stay away from violent maneuvers until the engine has a couple gallons through it. After a couple flights you will notice that the engine burbles in mid range due to breakin so just lean out the low end until the burble goes away(usually 1/16-1/8 turn at most).
Actually its better for all motors to be broke in airborne. You actually only start the breakin of glow on the ground. You run enough fuel to get a reliable idle and top end then you fly!!!! If you waited on a moki then youd be burning about 6 gallons on the ground before first flight. Good luck, keep your airspeed up and land wheels first!!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:48 AM
fossil
My Feedback: (25)

Gas engines are better to break in in the air. What I was talking about is mostly with glow engines and most of them can also be broken in in the air, but with a warbird or any other plane with high wing loading I would rather spend more time on the ground breaking it in and making sure the throttle ranges (especially idle) are trouble free before that first flight. Thats just my opinion and what I was refering to.
fossil
Old 09-26-2003, 01:50 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's the flameouts that scare me on a high wingloading warbird. When my 3D's and FunFly's flame out it's no problem, actually do my best landings then ;-) but they have light wing loading. Just want to have confindence in my warbird engine cause it ain't gonna float to the ground like they do if it flames out. I'll take your advice and just try to get it running decent, especially at idel on the ground and hope for the best in the air for the first few flights.

Thanks,

Tom