Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

*Seagull Westland Lysander*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

*Seagull Westland Lysander*

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 09:56 AM
nateairman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The modifications made so far:

1. All servo mounts were cut out or modified to use hitech 5645 or 5625 servos. I prefer to have the servo exit the center of the cut out.

2. The landing gear was reinforced with a 3/16" piece that goes past the first bend.

3. The fire wall was cut to allow air flow through the cowl.

4. The tail wheel was reassembled and a lot of caster was added by changing the angle it exits the fuselage. I will add more and most likely a different spring set up.

5. Mini servo in the tail for the tail wheel.

For some reason the wing struts are incredibly heavy. I may rebuild them. The laminated ply wood around the wing structure has a lot of gaps so that will need to be addressed as well.

Because I am using a fuel pump I plan to move the tank back further in the airframe.

At the moment CG is just in front if the forward anti rotation pin on the wings. So I expect minimal weight to be added to get close to 15mm back.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:14 PM
grantmNZ
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dmyers0403;12347873]Scott:
We are at 1.7" from front of wing root at cabin.

That comment is somewhat confusing -
is it A - the COG is 1.7" IN front of the wing root at the cabin -
OR is it B - the COG is 1.7" BEHIND the front of the wing root at the cabin ...
precise language is helpful to avoid confusion , thanks
Old 02-24-2022, 08:06 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=grantmNZ;12717095]
Originally Posted by dmyers0403
Scott:
We are at 1.7" from front of wing root at cabin.

That comment is somewhat confusing -
is it A - the COG is 1.7" IN front of the wing root at the cabin -
OR is it B - the COG is 1.7" BEHIND the front of the wing root at the cabin ...
precise language is helpful to avoid confusion , thanks

Hello GrantMNZ!
I balanced my two Seagull Lysanders with the balance point 15mm to 25mm behind where the Wing Leading Edge meets the Fuselage.
They both flew very well!
Here's the YouTube video of #1's Maiden Flight!

Scott

Last edited by Fly2XS; 02-24-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:05 AM
nateairman

I had my maiden flight just this last weekend and was happy to have the airplane back on the ground. It was a handful in the air. I was not able to get it trimmed out completely. It wanted to roll hard left and need a lot of up elevator to keep it from diving.

Once on the ground it nearly looped when the tail wheel came down. I was able to save it and killed the engine before coming to a stop on the nose.

The CoG was set near or at the leading edge of the wing. I felt it could go back more and will add weight to the tail. 171 grams puts the cg near the pin and the airplane's attitude looks much better.

Post flight inspection revealed the tail servo was pulled out of its mount. The landing gear will need to be straightened and one wheel pant needs repair.

Things I have changed since the flight.

With the canopy rail set at zero degrees wing incidence is set at +1° the rear stabilizer is reading is reading +2°. I found an incidence discrepancy of 2° between the wings which would explain the roll issue. The wings themselves were about 30g difference and I didn't worry about it as each wing is over 1kg.

I need to reinforce the servo mount in the tail and isolate the servo from harsh impacts due to the rough field we fly out of.

Next fly plan.

I will leave the elevator trim as it is for the next flight and add half the estimated weight for the tail. All the aileron trim will be set to zero.

I will ground test the tail wheel servo again with some taxiing.

If all goes well I will fly it again. I hope it flys much more true and I am able to do some photo passes as it is a very nice looking airplane.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:23 PM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us posted! How did it fly after your mods?
Old 05-06-2022, 03:40 PM
nateairman

Originally Posted by sailr
Keep us posted! How did it fly after your mods?
If I were able to trim the roll out of the airplane and get another flight or two on it I am sure it would have been a lot of fun. I felt as though the landing was a bit harsh but flight video review didn't look bad at all, just the yaw control when the tail came down.

I will have a second flight report in a week or two.