Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Another Ziroli 101" B-25 thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Another Ziroli 101" B-25 thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 AM
Fili

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Looking good
Old 11-03-2018, 02:06 PM
acdii

Just ordered the glass and gun blisters for it. Weather is getting to where it is indoor time, so will get back to this once I have the shop re-organized and all my summer stuff put away off my bench
Old 01-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

acdii
Following your build with interest but would like to ask the following from the group if you don't mind.

I have a new set of Zenoah G-20 ei engines. Just curious about anyone thoughts if these are big enough for a 101" B-25 that is I plan on building in the near future? I know that Ziroli recommends G-23/26 engines. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2019, 12:44 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

A friend of mine in Germany used G-20s in his and regretted it. It did fly but required a lot of runway and performed marginally in flight. In fact, he lost it on climb out because it did not have the performance needed to clear a tree line near his field. My friend is a master modeler and flyer so it was not a pilot performance issue (other than the mistake of installing the G-20s). I have G-26s in mine and it performs well even in the Las Vegas heat.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

Greg,
Sorry to hear about the loss of an airplane. I do have a fairly new set of Zenoah G-26's that were originally magneto but were converted to electronic. The previous owner cut away some of the crankcase to make them lighter. Not sure why but I would never butcher an engine. Other that that they are okay. I am still going to look, have plenty of time, for a pair of magneto engines. I believe that a magneto engine is the most reliable engine made.
Thank you for the information. I guess I need to find a couple of more new G-20's and build a four engine bomber. Not sure about that since I have a Don Smith 141" B-29 already.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:04 AM
acdii

Alrighty, been a while since I worked on this plane, and today I decided to try to mount the NGH 38CC 4 stroke. um yeah, about that, these are rather large engines, and it appears I will have issues with the cowl in that the head is right at the edge of the opening. The mounts are pre-tapped setting the engine an inch forward of plans. I was going to make my own cowls, but found I just don't have the proper setup to turn the blank without making it egg shaped, so will more than likely get the ones from Ziroli.

Now I have a question, the cowl on the plans are only 6", but the cowls on the web say they are 8", so if they are 8" then these engines will work.

Another question for anyone who built the 101, engines head down, or at a 45? At 45* the exhaust shoots straight down, right onto the landing gear.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM
acdii

After some research discovered that the NGH38CC is more suited to the P-61, so they will be used on that instead, so instead found a $25 off coupon for A Main and got a pair of Saito FG-30B for the B-25. While I was at it, ordered a pair of cowls for the B-25 and the parts for the P-61, cowls, glass, and nose. The plastic parts I wasn't sure I wanted to use, so did not get those.

Today I got some work done on it. The right side foam for the top of the nacelle is on, and started shaping it, the left side is nearly done, but need the cowl to finish the front part of it. Once I have both shaped, I have the inner flap on the right to finish, then a final sanding of the nacelles and wing surfaces, and then I will glass it and start on making the gear doors. I have not cut them out nor will I until the glass is done. I plan to make a mold of the gear door area and then make gear doors out of fiberglass, and then cut the opening and install the gear.

The next step after that are the outer wing panels and outer flaps, then glass those as well. Once that is done I can move on to the fuse and fill in the side to wing joint. Since I have a removable 3 piece wing I have to come up with a method to attach the wing without bolt holes showing and I want working bay doors. I have some ideas, will see if they actually workout.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM
acdii

Got more work done today, first time in almost a year too.

Before I started, what it looked like

After a couple hours work, what it looks like now. Just waiting on the filler to cure. Pretty much on hold for the front until I get the cowls.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:36 PM
acdii

This is what I am using as a guide/template for the top nacelle work.

I also have a pair of Saito FG-30 on the way to power this beast
Old 03-30-2019, 03:32 PM
acdii

Last thing for the day, got the right inner flap aligned.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:43 PM
acdii

Started fitting the cowls. Need more filler to finish the fairings too.

I also got the FG-30 engines, and trying to decide how to mount them

Muffler it a bit tight.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:40 AM
acdii

Engine Pod. One down, One to go. After getting the engine fitted, I kept staring at the nacelle, trying to figure out the best way to mount a servo for the throttle, and have room for the tank. I finally just thought, why not make it a pod. So I did.

Slides right in, no interference, and keeps the weight forward of CG. Now to make the other side, and come up with a way to mount the ignition. The optikill will be on the back side above the tank.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:46 PM
acdii

There's ,ore. Got one cowl mounted and finished sizing the cooler intake. Some final smoothing and I will glass it, then I can flip the wing over and work on the bottom of the nacelles.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:50 PM
acdii

Getting back to this as soon as I finish my Liberty Sport.

Question, if anyone cares to answer. WHat size is the hub for this scale plane? I have the pair of FG-30 engines and am looking to get hubs for the spinners, but don't know what size. The FG-30 are single shaft with the double nuts.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:16 AM
acdii

It's back on the bench, new pics soon.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:26 PM
acdii

I got the two nacelles glassed at the top to help protect it while I work on the bottom. Just waiting on the poly to cure and harden, then apply a second coat for additional hardness. The flaps are fully glassed now, and getting a second coat applied to them later. While waiting for the poly to cure I am going to finish up the leading edges where the air scoops go so I can glass the outer wing panels. Few more weeks and should have the wing done and can move onto the tail gunner position. Still not 100% sure how I am going to tackle that, I have a block of foam glued up ready to carve, but want to make sure I can attach and detatch it easily since there will be the elevator servo located under it.

Last edited by acdii; 01-05-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:51 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The nacelles look great!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:05 PM
acdii

Left outer ready for glassing. Got the landing light all prepped, need to form a lens. Not as bright as I hoped it would be, but it is. 20 YO led.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:33 PM
acdii

Heres a pic I used as reference for the scoop. Since I don't have actual dimensions, I just winged it.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:02 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A blind man on a charging horse at midnight on a moonless night will never know the difference!
Old 01-06-2020, 06:19 AM
acdii

It will look completely different once a layer of primer is applied. The differences in color throw it off. Still have a bit of work left on the scoop area, but it is as close as I can get it without having actual dimensions. The Cowl is also not correct, so have to work around it, so wont be an exact match.