Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Scale plans

Old 11-11-2016, 03:04 AM
gpman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scale plans

I have a question for the warbird scale builders. I,m planning on building 2 planes a f4 Corsair and a Mitsubishi A6 Zero. Now i know there are several plans available from Meister scale an Ziroli but if you look at Scale which one of the plans come closest to the real planes.

Geoffrey
Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 AM
TomCrump

Compare the desired plans to a recognized 3 view, and then make your choice.

Meister used to advertise scale outlines, but the cross sections were not scale.

Ziroli makes changes to allow for better flyability.

Unless you plan to compete, both company's designs will do. Both can be modified for a more scale appearance, if desired.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:15 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a size preference? In my opinion the best Corsair plan available is the 1/6th scale F4U-1 offering from Brian Taylor. Jerry Bates is getting ready to release a 1/5.5 scale F4U-5 plan as well which I am sure will be very scale in outline. Neither the Meister or Ziroli designs are particularly scale in my opinion but each person has to decide for themselves if they are close enough. As Tom noted above both designs can be made more scale with a bit of work on the part of the builder. The best Zero plan readily available is probably the 1/5.5 scale Dave Platt design. The Meister Scale Zero looks pretty good to my eye, certainly much more accurate than the Corsair, but I have never really made a detailed comparison of it with the full size airplane. That's my .02 cents anyway.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:33 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim Meister used to advertise that his ME-109 was the easiest 109 to take off available and you wouldn't have any of the ground handling problems of other 109's. I asked him how that was possible, and he told me he'd chosen an airfoil that got the airplane flying as quickly as possible so his spent less time on the ground than every other 109.
Not saying it doesn't look right, just pointing out that most designers make modifications to make their planes more flyable and thus more marketable.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:38 AM
gpman

Thank you all for the information. I have some thinking to do because the plan is to build both planes in scale 1/3 that means a span of around 164 inches if i am correct.

Kind regards Geoffrey