Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CY Model P-51D Mustang 2.4M - 85cc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CY Model P-51D Mustang 2.4M - 85cc

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 AM
Quandry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the engine mounted I turned my attention to the pipes and had to go 'full eyeball' to try and get the correct pipe placement. What I am trying for here is to make sure that if I am unfortunate enough to bring her down skimming the nose a bit I don't want the pipes pointing straight down, as they could at best loosen off and at worse send dirt up in to the engine or crack the heads. So the pipes are kicked out to the side slightly. I've seen some guys build a collector system and run the exhaust out of the scale exhaust holes. That's a little bit more skill/technique than what I have available, besides which I am suspicious that this would create more in cowl heat and possibly also backpressure on the exhaust that might lead to tuning issues. I am looking to keep this as simple as possible - even if everyone at the field will need ear muffs

I'm using a wide voltage servo on the throttle. I noticed it gets pretty hot running on 2s lipo. It might be getting switched out soon for a HV unit, watch this space...

Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Quandry

After mounting the Roto I measured out the pipes. The rear pipe is fine and did not need any adjustment, the front pipe I landed up cutting by about 50% !! looked a bit aggresive but when the cowl goes on it just looks 'right'. So lets see how that goes. Next on the list is work on the ignition... Powerbox recommend dual spark switch so a single switch does not overheat....

Route for ignition leads

While I was working in the area I decided to gap check the valves - Roto recommends this after 3 hours of running.

Plug leads in place but still some tidy up to be done...

Old 12-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Quandry

Some updates on the P51.... due to the scoop underneath she is a difficult model to store so I broke out the table saw, some 9mm MDF and made up a storage frame. Sprayed Matt black and foam fitted. Next was precision drilling the Top RC spinner backplate with a drill press for the prop bolts. So far so good but I might look at trying to colour match the cowl red to the spinner and paint the exhausts to look a bit more realistic...

Old 01-03-2018, 03:50 AM
Quandry

The CY P51 kit comes with part of the belly scoop separated and in the instructions they just show it being glued on. I’m happy to keep it simple but wanted to at least block up the inlet as it looked too much like a parachute.I toyed with the idea of trying to use the air feed to do something with but do not have any type of heat exchanger on board so the Meredith effect will not apply.So I just cut out a top section that will be covered anyway, painted it satin black and glued it home.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:50 AM
Quandry

Some further updates...

Old 04-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Quandry

The tail wheel assembly with the kit is very basic, not retracting and no real instruction on how to make anything work. They did at least supply a covering door in the right colours so I set about making up something custom. This involved cutting off a section to make removable, setting up a servo shelf, doing some reinforcing and glue work.

I am using Tamjets hinges for the doors here.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Quandry

Taking a small diversion I am making up an exhaust bung system to stop oil drips dropping in to the car or house while storing. I ordered some silicon bungs from ebay and used a few spare parts from an old Mutliplex twinjet to make up something appropriate..

I also made one of the exhaust stacks removable so that I can do carby tuning etc at the field without having to remove the cowl (hopefully!)

Old 04-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Quandry

I am wrapping the exhaust pipes to try and minimise heat soak through the cowl

also fitting some in and out vents on the bottom of the cowl to keep the heads cool

and customised some hitec metal arms and installed a hirobo ball link system for the doors.

I've also been busy doing some wiring tidy and prepping the battery tray. If the weather is OK on Saturday I hope to do some ground run up tests!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:29 AM
wing13z

Hello, do you know the angle for the main retracts? is it a 90 degree? I do have the CY Model struts and I would like to order the Electron mains only like what you did.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM
gratechef

Default Updates?

Originally Posted by Quandry
Some further updates...

Any updates on your build? I'm interested in the CYModel P-47 85cc.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:22 AM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gratechef
Any updates on your build? I'm interested in the CYModel P-47 85cc.
I no longer have the airplane. Mine was basically a upgraded CY Mustang put out by Flying Models.
My eyes have issues and after surgery I started selling off all my faster warbirds. It was a good flyer for me but for whatever reasons it was not a good flyer to the individualI I sold it to. He apparently had a bad landing which did a lot of damage and was very unhappy with it. Hated to hear that but have no idea how he set it up either. I believe them to be good flyers and was very happy with the quality of mine. I set mine up pretty much with same cg and throws as the Ziroli as the CY is a very close copy of his design.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:09 PM
vickyz

Will a kolm engine il230 long edition fly this plane?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:30 AM
haefeli

Default Spinner size

I thought I read the entire thread, what size spinner was used. Anyone can chime in. I need to have a number that is not a guess, thx
Old 04-07-2020, 05:26 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by haefeli
I thought I read the entire thread, what size spinner was used. Anyone can chime in. I need to have a number that is not a guess, thx
call Chris Hogg at Texas warbirds. He’s the distributor
Old 04-07-2020, 05:20 PM
Capt G

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm using a 6" spinner - from Dave Brown

Old 04-08-2020, 05:43 AM
n8622t

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt G
I'm using a 6" spinner - from Dave Brown
still looking good Capt. G
Old 08-26-2021, 12:03 PM
horsefeetky

so for those who flew this plane any advice for a recent purchase of a used one with roto motor 130 3 cyl.. i will need to setup my spektrum power safe system and advice on cg point and throws for surfaces welcome.. also any elevator mix for full flaps on landings.................i hope to make a nice maiden with your advice.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:22 PM
wbdah
My Feedback: (4)

Do you have pics of how you set up the Eflite tailwheel retract, I am setting mine up with the same. I am using down and locked mains, DLE-85, and a 6" Ziroli spinner.