Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Phoenix 50cc Spitfire ARF- New???

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Phoenix 50cc Spitfire ARF- New???

Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 AM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix 50cc Spitfire ARF- New???

Does anyone have any feed back on Phoenix warbirds? THIs arf at Tower is selling at a great price for it's size and it comes with retracts. Is there a buyer beware attached to these Arf's from Phoenix models? I like the size, but how are they built? Video looks great of plane flying off grass, do they come out heavy and what kind of covering do they use. Any feed back would be helpful.
Thanks Rick
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have one ordered but not much info. Appears to be a bargain but time will tell.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 AM
Robert Bishop

I have written this page on my site-The Phoenix Spitfire 50-61cc 1:4 3/4 scale ARF
I have tried to gather all the facts, on this model,in one spot for convenience. Any comments(Positive and negative) would be appreciated!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Bishop
I have written this page on my site-The Phoenix Spitfire 50-61cc 1:4 3/4 scale ARF
I have tried to gather all the facts, on this model,in one spot for convenience. Any comments(Positive and negative) would be appreciated!
Mr. Bishop, excellent review!

With such quality work I understand why R/C printed magazines are going down!

Thanks and Best Regards.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:04 AM
Robert Bishop

Thank you very much for the kind words!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RICK9303
Does anyone have any feed back on Phoenix warbirds? THIs arf at Tower is selling at a great price for it's size and it comes with retracts. Is there a buyer beware attached to these Arf's from Phoenix models? I like the size, but how are they built? Video looks great of plane flying off grass, do they come out heavy and what kind of covering do they use. Any feed back would be helpful.
Thanks Rick
I've owned several Phoenix models and have not been disappointed with any of them except their instruction manuals. If this one is built like other Phoenix models it will be a bit heavy for its size, but built well, and will fly well.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Warbird AL
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Robert, awesome review! I enjoy reading reviews on new products whether or not I am in the market but always a warbird fanatic. I am curious about where it says minimum 8 channels required. I see it is a standard 6 channel plane at the least.. then if you add a remote engine kill 7... maybe it should be noted minimum 6 channels with recommended 8?
I am not criticizing I have just noticed that a lot of these larger planes have been saying that. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Thanks again for your review.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:51 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

FYI,
Tower shows it in stock.
Should be getting my reserved one by next week

Phoenix Model 1:4 3/4 Spitfire 50-61cc Gas/EP ARF 95" | TowerHobbies.com
Old 09-23-2017, 04:24 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RICK9303
Thanks Rick
I would think a 55cc gasser on a 96"ws Spit would be a bit shy on power, I find the YA Spit and the TF Spit do ok on the DLE 55 and those airframes are at around 84" - 86" ws.

The big question is how the supplied retracts hold up, after the first landing will the retract frames or struts be bent and also whether the C of G is accurate in the manual so that the intial flight does not end up in a ball of sticks and covering, and how much lead is required in the nose to balance?

The Phoenix Spit review site is not a flying review, its more an assembly of information from other sources with a bunch on ads thrown in, nice layout but so many ads.

Look forward to see a report from someone who they at least a 1/2 dozen flights on this model. A model this size will not be plug and play but will required tweaking to get it right.
cheers - ken
Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM
Robert Bishop

Originally Posted by Warbird AL
Hey Robert, awesome review! I enjoy reading reviews on new products whether or not I am in the market but always a warbird fanatic. I am curious about where it says minimum 8 channels required. I see it is a standard 6 channel plane at the least.. then if you add a remote engine kill 7... maybe it should be noted minimum 6 channels with recommended 8?
I am not criticizing I have just noticed that a lot of these larger planes have been saying that. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Thanks again for your review.
You are absolutely correct! I have changed the radio requirements to 6 channel min, Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 AM
TJC333

Originally Posted by kenair
I would think a 55cc gasser on a 96"ws Spit would be a bit shy on power, I find the YA Spit and the TF Spit do ok on the DLE 55 and those airframes are at around 84" - 86" ws.

The big question is how the supplied retracts hold up, after the first landing will the retract frames or struts be bent and also whether the C of G is accurate in the manual so that the intial flight does not end up in a ball of sticks and covering, and how much lead is required in the nose to balance?

The Phoenix Spit review site is not a flying review, its more an assembly of information from other sources with a bunch on ads thrown in, nice layout but so many ads.

Look forward to see a report from someone who they at least a 1/2 dozen flights on this model. A model this size will not be plug and play but will required tweaking to get it right.
cheers - ken
The Tower add says it will weigh about 25 pounds. Top Flites 85 inch wingspan warbirds usually weigh about 23 pounds using 60 cc engines. This Spit is only 1-2 pounds heavier so my guess is a DA60 will result in a very fast Spit.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Shaun Evans

Yeah,

Whether or not the gear are crap would make a HUGE difference as to the value of this package.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:52 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen the assembled model. It wasn't ready to fly, however.

From outward appearances, the landing gear looks to be strong enough to withstand the loads that will be placed upon it.

If I were in the market for an ARF Spit, in this size range, I would give this model strong consideration.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 AM
samparfitt

FYI,
Looks like this batch is sold out. Next due date is late October.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM
samparfitt

UPS notice: shipped yesterday, will arrive tomorrow
It's nice to live close to Tower!
90 lbs, that's one big box!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by samparfitt
UPS notice: shipped yesterday, will arrive tomorrow
It's nice to live close to Tower!
90 lbs, that's one big box!
Tower seems to have stepped up their game. I've been getting three day service, too. For awhile, there, it took them three days, after ordering, for them to ship, and then the three day travel time.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:57 AM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates?

Just placed and order, I have seen 2 fly now and they are good flyers, the quality is much higher than I expected, and of course the price cannot be beat....almost under $600 shipped to my door! I paid more in Retracts and wheels for my H9 Corsair!

Looking for a build thread.....

RKO
Old 12-31-2017, 05:06 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Ask and you shall receive....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...-assembly.html