Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best 3-Blade Prop for TF Zero & DLE55RA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best 3-Blade Prop for TF Zero & DLE55RA

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:21 PM
jstyle13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 3-Blade Prop for TF Zero & DLE55RA

Just ordered a TF GS Zero and want to try out a 3-blade Biela semi-scale prop on it for the scale aspect. I've also ordered a Xoar 2-blade WW2 prop as a fallback and I'm well aware a 2 blade prop is more efficient etc. etc. However, as long as it works and isn't a lead sled, I'd like to try the 3-blade but don't wanna drop $300+ to get 3 different props to try out.

So, does anyone have any idea or real flight experience with a TF warbid(specifically the TF Zero), DLE55RA and 3 blade prop? I've searched and have seen people run anything from a 20x10 to a 22x10. They also make a 21x10 which I think may be the best. Aircraft Intl's website lists the 20x10 Biela CF as the prop for a 50-60cc, and the 21" and 22" for 70-80cc. Will a broken in DLE55RA swing a 21x10x3?

I don't need crazy speed, 10ft takeoff rolls and unlimited vertical. Just enough to fly around at 1/2-3/4 with enough power in reserve at full throttle to get the plane out of a jam if needed. Any help from anyone who's tried one would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The 55RA really likes the Xoar 22x10 prop really performs very well. I’ve tried many props on that engine and that’s the best all around. I have a couple seasons with this combo on a TF Corsair before the engine swap and it’s very fast.
For a three blade prop you have to go down an inch in diameter at least. Depending on your altitude and air density on average you might stay with 10 inches of pitch but performance on the day you run it will tell you if that’s a good choice or not. If not you may need to go down to 8 pitch.
For scale appearance you need 23 to 24 inches in diameter but to run that you need the power of an 60cc twin, an 85cc single or a four stroke like a Saito FG85 or 90.

So 20x10x3, 21x10x3, 22x8x3 or if you can upgrade the engine to a 61cc you could possibly swing 22x10x3.
I have a TF P-40 with a DLE 61 and it will get a three blade prop too.

Trial and and error will tell but at least you have some direction.

The problem with only 8 inch pitch is the plane will be slow and the power setting will be high. It won’t be very fun to fly.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:56 PM
jstyle13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
The 55RA really likes the Xoar 22x10 prop really performs very well. I’ve tried many props on that engine and that’s the best all around. I have a couple seasons with this combo on a TF Corsair before the engine swap and it’s very fast.
For a three blade prop you have to go down an inch in diameter at least. Depending on your altitude and air density on average you might stay with 10 inches of pitch but performance on the day you run it will tell you if that’s a good choice or not. If not you may need to go down to 8 pitch.
For scale appearance you need 23 to 24 inches in diameter but to run that you need the power of an 60cc twin, an 85cc single or a four stroke like a Saito FG85 or 90.

So 20x10x3, 21x10x3, 22x8x3 or if you can upgrade the engine to a 61cc you could possibly swing 22x10x3.
I have a TF P-40 with a DLE 61 and it will get a three blade prop too.

Trial and and error will tell but at least you have some direction.

The problem with only 8 inch pitch is the plane will be slow and the power setting will be high. It won’t be very fun to fly.
Thanks for the reply. So as far as the 3 blade option, you would suggest the 21x10x3 with the DLE55RA if you had to choose only 1?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If that’s a choice then yes.