Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Saito 91 in a Seagull Fairchild PT-19

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Saito 91 in a Seagull Fairchild PT-19

Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 AM
dbeeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 91 in a Seagull Fairchild PT-19

hello, i am looking for input or recommendations regarding a plane/engine "match". i currently own a Saito 91 4-stroke engine that i want to find a plane for. i am very interested in the Seagull Models Fairchild PT-19 ARF for this engine. the specs of the plane is as follows: wing span 80.5", wing area 965.7 sq in, approx flying weight: 11.9 lbs. recommended engine: 2 stroke: 91-1.20 cu in; 4 stroke: .91-1.20 cu in.
first, the engine specs do not make sense. it seems to me one of them is wrong as it typically takes a larger 4 stroke engine displacement to equal 2 stroke. i phone SIG as the sellers of this plane and did not get a definitive answer.
having said that, i am wondering if i will be disappointed in performance with the Saito 91 in this airplane. it seems a bit on the "heavy side" for this "minimum" engine. keep in mind i don't expect nor care about unlimited vertical and tons of power. but i am wondering if for scale flight, some loops and rolls, and good power on take off will be acceptable. i would appreciate your thoughts. thank you in advance.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It should work. My only concern would be the problems typically associated with running a glow engine inverted.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 AM
dbeeler

Thank you, Lifer. Yes i have the same "inverted" concern. I no longer mount 4-stroke glow engines inverted but rather at "90 degrees". I have no "flame out" issues w my Saitos mounted this way. So that is my plan for the PT-19
Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is the option of mounting the engine at the 7 o'clock position. This should allow the plug to not fill with fuel if the carb is siphoning, and the engine will be out on the breeze but not so much that it is too apparent. I have been interested in that plane for a while but have to sell some other planes to make room.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM
dbeeler

7 oclock or even 8 oclock...at a 45. Would look good and prob no flame out issues...main thing right now is to decide if the 91 is enough power. A rather big bird. I guess i cud start there and if i wasnt happy buy a larger engine. Thank u for your input