Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

PBY Catalina (Vintage Plans) Build Thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

PBY Catalina (Vintage Plans) Build Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, let's try some picts!

Fuse planking around the wheel wells.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Default Access

I have to ask, what kind of access will you have into the fuse especially the retract area?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

Originally Posted by Ram-bro View Post
I have to ask, what kind of access will you have into the fuse especially the retract area?
Great question. The retracts are accessible from the cockpit area and from waist gunner position. This will allow for access to the air cylinders. Access to the linkages under the center pylon will be through a side hatch. In the picture below I've put a red dashed outline on what will be a hatch. I've built sufficient structure under the planking in this area to allow me to cut it free and have it hold it's shape. Once the plane has been tested on land to confirm the gear works properly, I will use silicone to make the hatch water tight. Clearly the silicone will need to be cut free when the hatch needs to be removed in the future, but that's not needed as a daily access item. The main canopy will also get sealed with silicone to help keep water out. There will be a hatch at the top of the pylon that will get me access to switches, charging ports, and air fill valve. This is the only hatch that will not be sealed.

I'm open to other ideas and suggestions as this is my first water borne aircraft.

outline of gear access hatch.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

The planking of the fuse in complete now. Here's some picts of the final stages. LOTS of sanding and filling to do!!

In the first pict, you can see the structure below the planking that will allow me to cut the hatch free and have it retain its shape.

the structure to support the gear access hatch.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Joe-RCBuilder

OK, been working on the nose "block". I use 1/8" ply cut to the profile of the nose. This goes down the centerline of the fuse. Blocks are added to each side. The bombardier's window is also ply. This helps me sand to just the right shape and helps strengthen the nose against dings.

This is the work in progress, it's not right just yet but getting close.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:53 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Nice work. You make it look easy. I imagine hatches, water proofing and stressing the fuse are major concerns. I have to rethink adding retracts to mine after looking at the structural changes you are making. I am considering just making the mains and the nose gear removeable so that I can still fly it at the local airfield. keep up the good work.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:20 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

I'm glad I "make it look easy" ... to put a number on it, getting the nose block complete from start to finish has been about 12 hours of work .

The retracts do require a lot of structural support. I am also concerned about the hull. The Vintage plane was designed to have fixed gear (i.e. not designed for water). So I will be applying 2 layers of very thin carbon fiber to the sheeting on the hull.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:42 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

On to the wing!

What looks on the surface to be a fairly simple wing is actually more complex than I had expected. A large center area is constant chord. Two outer panels are tapered. The top of the wing is flat tip to tip (no dihedral), but the bottom of the tapered sections do taper up to the tip. A narrow center section is fixed to the pylon with 2 removable sections (typical). But the removable sections contain both constant chord and tapered sub-sections. And the wing uses a slightly semi-symmetrical airfoil. The center section embeds the 2 nacelles. Typically, the nacelles are built separately (like on my A-26) because they are quite large holding the main landing gear. Here the nacelles are small and they are designed integrally with the wing spar. I've decided to build the wing in 5 sections. The 2 outer sections of each side will be joined once built. The center section will be built "in the air" right on the pylon. This is only possible because a key section of the spar is already part of the pylon and the designer created interlocking parts. Even still, a lot of dry fitting and aligning while clamping was required. Here's some picts of the right outer panel and the center section on the fuse.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:03 AM
Joe-RCBuilder

Built the rest of the right wing and installed the wing tubes. Here's a look.