Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

UMS Engines - any experience?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

UMS Engines - any experience?

Old 02-07-2020, 08:59 PM
drorso

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default UMS Engines - any experience?

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing a UMS 7-90 in my TopRC Zero. Anyone has experience with this engine?
Old 02-08-2020, 04:00 PM
rgburrill

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, it's Horizon Hobby. How can you go wrong?

Just noticed my info shows Trumbull, CT. Haven't lived there in 8 years. I've got to get that updated to Dallas.

Last edited by rgburrill; 02-08-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:56 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horizon Hobby doesn't carry UMS engines.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Hyjinx

Lol
They never did. Horizon entered into a deal with ums to sell the design Seidel lost to the Indian manufacturer.
They got burned by ums. Just like Seidel did.
UMS is now retailing the " updated" design.
The new ones look superior to the machined billet second generation. And they are very inexpensive compared to other similar engines.

The original Seidel has a beautiful raw bell casting similar to the Moki casting. Pretty engine....
Old 02-10-2020, 11:25 AM
rgburrill

My bad
Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

From what I've leaned from UMS the engines they made were by "students". Their production is part of their graduate course. So there's that. I have the 770 that needed a better carb. The original one wasn't so good.
I also have a UMS 160 gas that runs pretty well. So I don't if their manufacturing is else where or not?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:20 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by BobH View Post
From what I've leaned from UMS the engines they made were by "students". Their production is part of their graduate course. So there's that. I have the 770 that needed a better carb. The original one wasn't so good.
I also have a UMS 160 gas that runs pretty well. So I don't if their manufacturing is else where or not?
I was under the impression there was a single facility. They have been around a long time. I did some cursory digging after speaking with an industry insider who was pretty forthcoming
I have one with the early carb and it runs good for me.
I had a 7-35 Evo version also. I was happy with it too.
The power to weight ratio is a little better than the os and Saito radials. Plus they don't look like a single repeated on a common crankcase.
I love em all though, got a nice static display of them to stare at. And some to fly!

​​​​​​
Old 02-11-2020, 09:40 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

They are beautiful engines but way out of my price range. I will still to single cylinder engines.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
They are beautiful engines but way out of my price range. I will still to single cylinder engines.
Lol
Outta my price range too. Been a lot of wheeling and dealing to build a collection.Have met a lot of nice people to hand cash over to though, and a couple real stinkers!

Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 PM
BobH

I think it is or was a single facility. Its a school of some sort that's either under contract or run by the Govt.
I believe it's for training students. My guess is that they bought the rights from Sidel and then produced the engines at the training school.
I don't know if that's how they are still being made now or not.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:42 PM
Hyjinx

I think it is or was a single facility. Its a school of some sort that's either under contract or run by the Govt.
I believe it's for training students. My guess is that they bought the rights from Sidel and then produced the engines at the training school.
I don't know if that's how they are still being made now or not.
That chain of events would be similar to the Moki Motor history. Cool stuff!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:09 AM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

I have had a few of the Evolution 7-77 and one 7-90. I have had Great success with the 7-77 engines I have one in a Corsair and one in a Zero both planes are above 30lbs. Scale take off but once up and make a circuit they move pretty good. I have about 10-12hrs run time on the Zero. After a day of flying I clear the engine with Marvel mystery oil. Occasionally I have to check the valves for correct lash "every 2-3hrs run time". I do run a Glow system " Sonic Tronic" that will come on at idle . Just makes me more confident of NO dead stick landings. Other than that they run STRONG.
I recently bought the 7-90 I have run it on a bench to do a general break in but have not put it in a plane yet. I am waiting for the TopRC Corsair for that.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:45 AM
BobH

Default 770

Originally Posted by TimD. View Post
I have had a few of the Evolution 7-77 and one 7-90. I have had Great success with the 7-77 engines I have one in a Corsair and one in a Zero both planes are above 30lbs. Scale take off but once up and make a circuit they move pretty good. I have about 10-12hrs run time on the Zero. After a day of flying I clear the engine with Marvel mystery oil. Occasionally I have to check the valves for correct lash "every 2-3hrs run time". I do run a Glow system " Sonic Tronic" that will come on at idle . Just makes me more confident of NO dead stick landings. Other than that they run STRONG.
I recently bought the 7-90 I have run it on a bench to do a general break in but have not put it in a plane yet. I am waiting for the TopRC Corsair for that.
are you running the stock carb with the 770? I couldn't get mine to run well with the stock one.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:44 AM
TimD.

are you running the stock carb with the 770? I couldn't get mine to run well with the stock one.
NO I use an OS carb. Mine were the first ones out of production that would not feed enough fuel to the engine. I hear they upgraded the carb to work as the OS ones in the newer ones.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:49 AM
BobH

Thanks for the reply. I bought an OS carb for mine too but I havent installed it yet. I removed the engine from the plane it was in.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:04 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by TimD. View Post
NO I use an OS carb. Mine were the first ones out of production that would not feed enough fuel to the engine. I hear they upgraded the carb to work as the OS ones in the newer ones.
Which OS carb please?
Part number ?
What is the improvement over the OEM carb?
Are intake mods or mounting/linkage issues worth the upgrade hassle?
I have not had good success flying a 34 lb pt17 with my factory 7-77 . If yours is flying a high wing loaded 30 lb plus single seat fighter I am definitely not getting all the motor has to offer.
Thanks!
Thanks
Old 02-15-2020, 02:05 PM
TimD.

carb = https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXCA62&P=7

I had to make an adapter from carb to the engine. I have a small metal lathe so no biggie. The Os carb has a slit cut for idle positions and it will deliver more fuel to the engine so you can get it to run at a fuel rich setting at full power. The stock carbs on the early versions would not deliver enough fuel to the engine. No other mods needed.Again I heard they redesigned the carb to an identical version of the OS a year or two ago , so the newer engines do not need any upgrades.

I run 9% oil and 10% nitro. I buy a gallon of methanol on ebay for like $20 and a gal of Cool power 20% nitro . combine the two, into two gallons= 10% nitro and 9% oil
Old 02-15-2020, 03:55 PM
Hyjinx

Thanks Tim
Sounds like a plan for me may be to buy the ums upgrade carb. I can't make the intake adapter and sounds like they have done it for the upgrade carb.
Do u feel the upgrade gives the motor more power as if starving for fuel with the OEM carb?
The starting and running charistics of my motor are very good
i run it on 10% methanol/niitro 10% syn redlne.
it idles, transitions and runs full tilt without a glo driver.

​​​​​