Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TopRc F4U Corsair assembly

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopRc F4U Corsair assembly

Old 05-23-2021, 09:47 PM
bdoxey
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had good luck with Robart. I imagine that these retracts will be very similar to the ones they make for the similar-sized Ziroli, with adjustments just to fit the specific Top RC mounts and such. So the basic mechanism should be a tried and true unit. I think I will talk to them about their units tomorrow. I bet any replacement parts would be much more available also. They were very easy to contact and work with when I ordered the Corsair.

I appreciate your inputs and info.

Using air retracts, how do you plan to sequence and actuate your gear doors?

Bryan
Old 05-24-2021, 03:05 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Talk to Dave at Dave's RC . Dave has gear door sequencers that work well. I use one of Dave's sequencer on my TopRC Zero for the inner doors . If the TopRC gear in my Corsair ever quit on me I plan to swap them out with Robarts as well , and use a Dave's sequencer.
https://www.davesrce.com/
Old 05-24-2021, 05:20 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

I'll use the Radio programming on my Futaba 18SZ to sequence the servo operated doors. That's what I did with my Zero, and it works fine.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:34 AM
CK1

Todd if you that ability within your tx that's awesome. Well that's one more reason for me to upgrade from my 14SG.
I really like the 14SG but it does fall a little short in a few area's
Old 05-24-2021, 05:39 AM
Hot Rod Todd

On my first Zero I used a Hobby King sequencer. It worked fine and only costs about $15.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:42 AM
CK1

I didn't have much luck with the HK sequencers . I had 2 of the HK fail within minutes of installing so I went with Dave's and no more problems .
Old 06-15-2021, 08:51 PM
gilles1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all TOP RC Corsair owners. As an experienced model flyer from austria
I want to warn you, that the middle section of the wing breaks in flight....
the structure is so weak that you and people around are in danger.
Even if you glue the spar (fiber wing joiner) to the middle section as recomended in the building Manual it will break.
For more information got to the German Warbirdforum look to the Top RC Corsair Thread starting from page 14.
(i Can't link it.....)

Christian
Old 06-15-2021, 11:10 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

I have mentioned this already with the manufacturer and Gator RC informing them with the pictures that I have posted previously on this thread. I have asked them to not make any lightening holes on any of the spars in the center sections and possibly add carbon fiber cloth top and bottom of the composite center section where the spars are glued to. I had the first set of kits that was produced and I do not recommend it as the center wing section is not strong enough considering the 40lb+ of this aircraft. Following all instructions and my wing broke on a bounced landing. I can only image anyone bouncing a little and their next flight being a disaster.

I am about finished repairing my wing with additional ply support and carbon fiber. Even with the repair I am not entirely sure it will be strong enough on any type of rough landing. I am leaving some access panels on the center section to view the condition of the inside spars.

The only way to solve this issue is for TopRCModel provide update center sections with stronger spar support. I personally would not fly the first batch of kits knowing this problem exist.

Last edited by fw190; 06-15-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:41 PM
CK1

I have a second batch Corsair and I have very little confidence in the strength of the center section . I have added fiberglass in all areas of the main spar that can be accessed , which isn't easy access . I have wicked thin CA into the spar ply itself . The center section still has too much give to it . I have decided not to risk flying it . It is in my opinion unsafe . I've had Ziroli , Byron and Topflite Corsairs and none had much , if any , flex in the center section . I have too much invested in the 90R3 engine and other equipment to put it at and people at risk if an in flight separation were to happen. I will pull all of my equipment and put it in my Byron Corsair . The TopRC is beautiful but now it is a 1900.00 hangar queen . This decision does not make me happy at all !! But I can't in good conscience fly an unsafe plane and put others at risk . It isn't worth it to me .
The following 4 users liked this post by CK1:
blackbox747 (06-20-2021), Chris Nicastro (06-16-2021), KISTEX (06-16-2021), raaf (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 07:05 PM
tevans55

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody waiting for pneumatic retracts?
Old 06-23-2021, 09:15 PM
bdoxey

Yep, I am too.

I got the email describing the delay last week, which is nice that they are staying in touch. There was not an estimated date though, which is a little disappointing. I'm still thinking Robart is the best bet for gear though.

I really like your repaint and mods. Impressive!

Bryan

Last edited by bdoxey; 06-24-2021 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
tevans55 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 06:11 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I too am waiting for Robart. I didn't plan on building it until this winter anyway. Now that I see the issues with the center section it will be a challenge to get it built strong, yet keep the weight usable. I might end up with a one piece wing if that's what it takes.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:30 PM
bdoxey

Any idea how many airframes are flying now?

Bryan
Old 07-02-2021, 01:27 AM
claudebrifflot

hello fw 190 what do you use as retracts , what is the strut length and the size of your wheels ?
Old 07-30-2021, 07:22 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can any of the guys using a Ramoser varioprop tell me what is the correct hub to use for the Saito FG90? Seems that the hub for the 12mm shaft is too small, and there is no spinner nut for the M10x1.25 thread on the propshaft for the 12mm hub! help please!
Old 08-20-2021, 02:48 PM
HiCurrent

Hi all, are the gears that came with this kit any good. From past experience, the TopRC electric gears are really disappointing.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:50 AM
gpman

Did anyone got in contact with toprc about the mid section weakness, did they got any reaction or solution from toprc ?

Geoffrey
Old 08-23-2021, 08:01 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I know Mike Mueller from Gator RC was at Fond Du Lac. He mentioned that work had to be done on the center section. If they do make changes, I doubt we'd see it any time soon.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:05 AM
CK1

I sent e-mails to TopRC as well as Mike at Gator about the center section issues months ago and have not received any response from either of them .
Old 08-23-2021, 08:29 AM
CK1

I'm in no rush to fly my Corsair because of the weak center section . It is for now an expensive Hangar Queen . My back issues have flared up and have prevented me from flying anything for the last 2 months .
I also decided to put the weathering of the Corsair on hold for an indeterminate period . I would hate spending that much time to dirty it all up if I'm not going to take it around to any fly-in's and fly it
Old 08-23-2021, 07:23 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all!

After reading about the center section and looking at the structure myself, I feel that to fly the model is an accident waiting to happen. Just so you know, the actual “spar” that goes from one side of the center section to the other of this 40+ pound model is a single 3mm former that has lightening holes from one end to the other, there is a second parallel former to it, but on both sides this former ends on the “shoulder” of the wing, so it lends no support as a spar.

I stole the pic below from member FW190 so you can see what the actual “spar” is like at the center of the wing. The blue arrows show what the actual spar is

In my opinion the wing design is weak because of:
1)the thickness of the wood used for the spar
2)the lightening holes on the spar from one retract box to the other
3)the reduced size (width) of the spar under the retract strut area to allow space for the strut to rest and the retract actuator motor to fit

I refused to allow this model not to be finished and flown, so I developed my own set of formers and performed surgery on the center section.

My set of formers provides dual (parallel) 1/8” birch ply spars from one retract box to the other, joined by lamination on the center with 3 1/8” joiners, reinforcing the whole wing structure while absorbing most of the spar loads limiting the spread to the rest of the wing. 2 additional formers will work as doublers on the retract area for the outer wing spar receivers, as a requirement for these to work properly, the outer wing spars have to be glued in their receivers on the center wing.

In my opinion, even those who have these planes flying need to perform this “repair” and for those who thought the was no remedy, I believe there is.

To fix the problem the wing had to be cut into, yet nothing is visible from the outside of the wing, no refinishing was necessary.

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 08-24-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:49 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Thanks for the input on how you are handling the modification, I'll look forward to seeing it.
The strength of the section relies heavily on the glue connection between the fiberglass skin and wood. Unfortunately the glue used is not good enough to ensure a good connection.
Besides using some additional wood for the "spar" area, I plan to add some Hysol 9460 to help all the glue joints.
I won't be building mine until later this year, but I'll be posting my mods as well.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:55 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruizmilton View Post
My set of formers provides dual (parallel) 1/8” birch ply spars from one retract box to the other, joined by lamination on the center

In my opinion, even those who have these planes flying need to perform this “repair” and for those who thought the was no remedy, I believe there is.

That was my thoughts exactly !! Their formers need to be made of Aircraft grade Birch 5 or7 ply. Not Poplar lite ply. This would resolve issues in the other designs as well. I would not attempt to fly it without serious modification. After assembling mine last year and getting to the weight and balance point I saw the errors in the design and to be honest lost interest in it completely . Over 5k vested in something I did not trust. This is one of 4 expensive planes that I have purchased in the past 3 years that after being assembled I will not fly because I do not trust their airworthiness.
I generally will not say anything when I have a bad occurrence, but at this point I have 15-20k in planes that will never fly due to poor manufacturing decisions.,
I own eight TopRc aircraft and am very happy with them except for the main wing spars being made of lite ply. I reinforced them with Birch ply and carbon matt. This one was just not thought out, but it is pretty.

Last edited by TimD.; 08-24-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:46 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

TimD

Do you own the Fw-190 also?
Do you see the same wing spar problem with this plane also?
I have one but have yet to put it together.
I have also ordered and waiting on the delivery of their P-47; makes me wonder if that plane may have inherited the same problem.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:58 AM
Hot Rod Todd

The other top RC planes have wing tubes, so the problem is different. With a bit of work to strengthen the tube guide they seem to be OK (barring a crash or other hard hit).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.