Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TopRc F4U Corsair assembly

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopRc F4U Corsair assembly

Old 08-25-2021, 03:31 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes I have the FW-190. The issue is with the gear on that one. The sizzor link on the gear is made of Aluminum and it should be steel. Any slight deviation on toe in or out (wiggling / slop) and the aluminum sizzor link will fold right up. Drill the connecting rivots out and replace with a tight fitting brass sleeve and through bolt them. That removed the slop.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:50 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TimD;

I have the Sierra gear for my FW so I'm pretty confident I wont have a problem with the gear.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:51 AM
claudebrifflot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do'nt worry on the new Corsair models, the central part of the wing is reinforced with a layer of carbon fiber and a carbon plate on both sides ; the old generation of corsair are solded at the moment do not buy them! mine is from Bigplanes.nl.
the new top-rc gear was modified, the springs are different, the motors too and the rotation is more precise.
The following users liked this post:
gpman (08-28-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 09:10 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by claudebrifflot View Post
Do'nt worry on the new Corsair models, the central part of the wing is reinforced with a layer of carbon fiber and a carbon plate on both sides ; the old generation of corsair are solded at the moment do not buy them! mine is from Bigplanes.nl.
the new top-rc gear was modified, the springs are different, the motors too and the rotation is more precise.
That’s good news! Yet no carbon fiber will compensate for not using a proper spar, if the carbon is in the spar, and a proper spar has been redesigned, that’s great! If the carbon is on the skin, it is useless to correct the problem, wing will still break in the center.

For anyone interested on CNC cut set of formers to correct the deficiencies on this wing, I will be selling them with installation instructions. Contact me through PM

thanks!

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 09-08-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:18 PM
LtMash1A

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gilles1 View Post
To all TOP RC Corsair owners. As an experienced model flyer from austria
I want to warn you, that the middle section of the wing breaks in flight....
the structure is so weak that you and people around are in danger.
Even if you glue the spar (fiber wing joiner) to the middle section as recomended in the building Manual it will break.
For more information got to the German Warbirdforum look to the Top RC Corsair Thread starting from page 14.
(i Can't link it.....)

Christian
Is it the fiber spars (that glue in) that breaks, or does the center of the wing at the midpoint break?
Old 09-15-2021, 03:58 AM
claudebrifflot

hello
The new spar in the middle of the wing is less openwork, I did not stick the wing keys the adjustments are much better !
I can send you a picture on your email address
Old 09-15-2021, 04:26 AM
claudebrifflot

hello
With top-rc it is better to wait for the models to be updated before buying them, my fw 190 was the first in France when I bought it, it came with a pneumatic landing gear which had leaks and the collages did not hold. Now it is a very good model and the new electric landing gear runs very well.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:29 AM
claudebrifflot

it's the same for the corsair
Old 09-15-2021, 04:33 AM
claudebrifflot

A picture of the new middle the wing corsair

Old 09-15-2021, 09:35 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

That is not where it breaks easily, it breaks closer inside of the wing as it meets with the fuselage. Is it possible to take some pics from inside of the wheel area? It will be stronger if they do away the lightening holes on the spar. The composite foam structure is also easily compromised, I can even cut easily with an xacto.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:40 PM
claudebrifflot

The new spar in the middle of the wing is less perforated, difficult to pass the servo extensions.
With the carbon fiber reinforcement, it is necessary to scrape the glue,otherwise the engine of the landing gear will not pass.
The composite foam structure is the same on my fw 190, the plane will be 3 years old.
Installation of the retraction module

Old 09-15-2021, 02:23 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

You trust the FrySky for this big plane? Your Antenna is so close together, that can be easily masked out from an engine or a carbon plate.

Last edited by fw190; 09-15-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:15 PM
Ruizmilton

Good that it has carbon fiber, yet the spar is only 5/8” wide between the holes for the retract actuator and the strut clearance, unless this is a 3mm solid carbon plate, I don’t think it will compensate for such a small spar area.

mine is reinforced and widened to 1.5” as I did away with the retract actuator clearance hole on the rear spar, both front and rear spar are reinforced.
also my complete wing, from retract box to retract box, has double solid birch spars

see picture of reinforced rear spar on “shoulder” of wing where there has been documented failures, spar is reinforced like that from one retract bay to the other, both front and rear spars

As commented earlier, I will be selling the Corsair wing fix former kit for the spars between both retract bays. The retract bays have two options.
a) dual (front/back) 5/8” wide birch reinforcement doublers (this can be supplied by the user, so no parts will be included on former kit, only instructions)
b) rear 1.5” wide birch doubler + front 5/8” wide birch doubler (this option requires modification of the retract actuator housings, this can be done by the user or I can offer the service for an hourly machining rate) the doublers for the retract sections will be included as an extra option on the former kit

Solid rear spar visible through servo access opening, this is one of two parallel solid birch spars that go from one retract bay to the other bypassing original weakened poplar ply spars

Rear birch doubler for retract area, hole for actuator is eliminated to offer a wider spar for better distribution of loads reducing criticality of the original spar weak point

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 09-15-2021 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gpman (09-15-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:34 PM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'M INTERESRESTED IN YOUR MODIFICATION KIT..........lmk,thanks
Old 09-16-2021, 10:35 PM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruizmilton View Post
Good that it has carbon fiber, yet the spar is only 5/8” wide between the holes for the retract actuator and the strut clearance, unless this is a 3mm solid carbon plate, I don’t think it will compensate for such a small spar area.

mine is reinforced and widened to 1.5” as I did away with the retract actuator clearance hole on the rear spar, both front and rear spar are reinforced.
also my complete wing, from retract box to retract box, has double solid birch spars

see picture of reinforced rear spar on “shoulder” of wing where there has been documented failures, spar is reinforced like that from one retract bay to the other, both front and rear spars

As commented earlier, I will be selling the Corsair wing fix former kit for the spars between both retract bays. The retract bays have two options.
a) dual (front/back) 5/8” wide birch reinforcement doublers (this can be supplied by the user, so no parts will be included on former kit, only instructions)
b) rear 1.5” wide birch doubler + front 5/8” wide birch doubler (this option requires modification of the retract actuator housings, this can be done by the user or I can offer the service for an hourly machining rate) the doublers for the retract sections will be included as an extra option on the former kit

Solid rear spar visible through servo access opening, this is one of two parallel solid birch spars that go from one retract bay to the other bypassing original weakened poplar ply spars

Rear birch doubler for retract area, hole for actuator is eliminated to offer a wider spar for better distribution of loads reducing criticality of the original spar weak point
im interested lmk how to proceed
Old 09-17-2021, 09:37 PM
LtMash1A

Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
That is not where it breaks easily, it breaks closer inside of the wing as it meets with the fuselage. Is it possible to take some pics from inside of the wheel area? It will be stronger if they do away the lightening holes on the spar. The composite foam structure is also easily compromised, I can even cut easily with an xacto.
That is correct. There is no spar beyond the end of the wing spar that is glued into the wing and and fuselage only the thin formers. There is also no spar in the mid section as seen from above.So, most of the midsection has no spar at all. I measured and cut out the bottom of the wing to add a spar as shown in the photos. Also added a sort of spar to the mid section.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:45 PM
Ruizmilton

Hi! I initially was going to do exactly what you did, until I saw the middle wing single spar and the ribs that cross the spars perpendicularly. The only solution is to bypass the complete spar system as a whole!!! Be watchful about your solution just increasing the risk at the next weak link which is where the ribs cross the spars (the rib right before the wing downslopes away from the fuselage and the rib right before the retract bays)
Old 09-18-2021, 06:53 AM
claudebrifflot

we don't care it only controls channel 5
Old 09-18-2021, 09:47 AM
LtMash1A

Originally Posted by Ruizmilton View Post
Hi! I initially was going to do exactly what you did, until I saw the middle wing single spar and the ribs that cross the spars perpendicularly. The only solution is to bypass the complete spar system as a whole!!! Be watchful about your solution just increasing the risk at the next weak link which is where the ribs cross the spars (the rib right before the wing downslopes away from the fuselage and the rib right before the retract bays)
Your point is well taken.You can chase down weak links forever, but until they make the wing with one continuous spar, it will never be strong enough.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:03 AM
claudebrifflot

hello ruizmilton
In the new version ( july) 2021 it is 3mm x20 mm carbon plate on each side in addition to carbon fiber on both sides of the spar, the spars are much less perforated, there is a spar in the middle of the wing (I looked through the opening of the gear doors) .Now it's at least as strong as my fw 190.
See updated july corsair in this picture by bigplanes.nl, It is mine ,no worries for new models

have good flight

Old 09-18-2021, 11:05 AM
Ruizmilton

Can you post a picture that shows where the 3mm x 20mm carbon plate is located? A friend ordered a new one and I would like to reassure him he won’t have any problems. We want to be sure he does not get a false sense of security on this issue with the “improvements” on the new model.

Please excuse the skepticism, the picture you posted about the carbon fiber is not a re-design to correct the issue, based on what the picture shows (what seems not one, but two patches of carbon fiber cloth) on that specific area, the spar is still weak at that point as if they did nothing, but to be fair, I can only speak for what is visible on the picture.

Thanks

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 09-18-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Ruizmilton

Originally Posted by LtMash1A View Post
Your point is well taken.You can chase down weak links forever, but until they make the wing with one continuous spar, it will never be strong enough.
We totally agree on that, so yes I opted for the complete one piece/continuous spar approach.
here’s my center section while being glued, yes, that’s 5/8” on the wing center, then it’s about 1/2” total up to the inboard retract rail doubler, and lastly, about 9/16” thick total from the rib right before the retract bays up to the end of the center section, these overlap with the sections coming all the way from the middle of the wing effectively making it a continuous spar.

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 09-18-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:51 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Ruiz , Can you show us more about your "kit" that you are selling ? I'm interested but I need to know more and see more about your process before I do business with you . You can PM the info to me if you wish or show it here for others to see as well .
Old 09-18-2021, 04:37 PM
Ruizmilton

Chris:

I sent you information and pictures 8 days ago as you can see below, didn’t you get my email?

Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
Ruiz , Can you show us more about your "kit" that you are selling ? I'm interested but I need to know more and see more about your process before I do business with you . You can PM the info to me if you wish or show it here for others to see as well .
Old 09-19-2021, 12:57 PM
claudebrifflot

Ruizmilton
the 3mm x 20mm carbon plate is here behind the carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.