Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart Electric Retracts Your Opinion?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart Electric Retracts Your Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 12:21 PM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Robart Electric Retracts Your Opinion?

Ok, so in the past I've heard there have been issues with the Robart electric retracts. Are there still issues with them? In particular I'm considering the 531RS, 85 deg, units for the P-51 I'm building. In their videos they sound nice and quite, which is what you would expect, compared to other brand electrics. Any comments?

Thanx, Mark
Old 05-31-2020, 01:03 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen to many electric retracts fail to make me even think of changing from my air retracts. When they work, they are great, but as I said, I have seen many of them fail at the wrong time. You also need to consider the battery situation with them as well. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-31-2020, 01:31 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A good air installation will last for years. Very little maintenance required if the plane is taken care of. I have a 10 year old Robart air system working perfectly in my TF GS Corsair. The main thing to do is to give the retracts a large volume of air to work with and you won’t have issues. I run two tanks on mine, one large and one medium tank, with no problems. Add a few drops of silicone oil each season and that will keep things lubed.
Before you install the retracts in the wings make sure they work smoothly on the bench and run at low pressures. Extension pressure is usually around 10psi and retract pressure is about 22-25psi.
I covered a couple different retracts here on RCU for the TF GS Hellcat and the Robarts in a Byron AT-6. Same story for the TF GS Mustang I had, more air is better.

I’ll sell you a new electric Robart actuator set to modify either the 500 or 600 retracts if you want to experiment and experience the electric tracts. The set is new and has the controller plus all three drives for a tail dragger set up. Let me know but I would stick with air unless you spend more on another brand like Electron or ???
Old 05-31-2020, 02:02 PM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, what is the Electron brand? Or do you mean E-Flite?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Electron is a European brand and E-flite is from Horizon. Don’t count out just mechanical retracts with a good servo set up.

https://www.electron-retracts.com
Old 06-01-2020, 04:59 AM
nswords

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using air for years and they have been very reliable and as Chris says a good installation is necessary.