Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen P47 104 build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Bud Nosen P47 104 build

Old 12-07-2020, 02:50 AM
pitsspecial

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bud Nosen P47 104 build

Hi guys,

just started the build on a bud Nosen P47 kit I managed to pick up, has anyone got any information on the kit, with regards to changing anything as its built? Or just go by the plans and instructions,

cheers,
Dave
Old 12-07-2020, 06:57 AM
pitsspecial

Old 12-08-2020, 02:45 AM
pitsspecial

Hmmm. . . . Busy on here!.,! Not, about as much response as the retract guy!! Lol lol,lol
Old 12-08-2020, 04:47 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thatscause its a real builld and not a foay or ARF.....lol. Where you find this monster at and what are you going to power her with?
Old 12-08-2020, 06:56 AM
pitsspecial

Originally Posted by Ram-bro View Post
thatscause its a real builld and not a foay or ARF.....lol. Where you find this monster at and what are you going to power her with?
hi Ram-bro, yes your probably right! Lol Ive searched on here and have got a few bits to change, mostly because they were meant for a small geared motor, so will have to be strengthened in a few places, I plan to use a DLE120 flat twin , but they are bringing out a flat 4 so my go with one of those? At the moment I have no retracts, and I was hoping to make it a razorback, long way to go so hope I can sort these as the build progresses

DJ
Old 12-20-2020, 10:21 AM
pitsspecial

fuz progress, added extra balsa and spruce springers to add extra strength to it, started sheeting . ..
The following 2 users liked this post by pitsspecial:
scottrc (02-28-2021), SMUGator (01-01-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 02:36 PM
pitsspecial

Old 02-16-2021, 02:58 PM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good so far! A fellow club member built the Nosen P-51 several years ago, those are truly builders kits! Looking forward to your progress...
Old 02-17-2021, 02:53 AM
pitsspecial

Originally Posted by dryverman View Post
Looking good so far! A fellow club member built the Nosen P-51 several years ago, those are truly builders kits! Looking forward to your progress...

hi, thank you, yes they are like the old Royal kits, proper old school builders kits! Im enjoying doing it , its coming on well, Im in no rush and not spending lots of hours on it.

dave
Old 02-28-2021, 04:52 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread as I for one have always had a soft spot for the WWII "Flying Tank" as they were
referred to, currently have the plans to the Meister 1/5th scale but don't think I will ever get it built, getting into
my mid 70's, al little too old to take on a big project.........LOL

Bill D.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:00 AM
scottrc

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I too am following your thread. Not many seem to want to build these monsters anymore. I remember a club member building the P51 back in the mid-1980s. Very interesting with how the wing is laid out.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:17 AM
pitsspecial

Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich View Post
Thanks for starting this thread as I for one have always had a soft spot for the WWII "Flying Tank" as they were
referred to, currently have the plans to the Meister 1/5th scale but don't think I will ever get it built, getting into
my mid 70's, al little too old to take on a big project.........LOL

Bill D.
hi Bill,

well Im no spring chicken! But I enjoy the building, Ive been wanting another big P47 for many years, when this kit came along I just had to have it, nice to have you along,

Dave
Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 AM
pitsspecial

Originally Posted by scottrc View Post
I too am following your thread. Not many seem to want to build these monsters anymore. I remember a club member building the P51 back in the mid-1980s. Very interesting with how the wing is laid out.

Hi Scott,

no, your right, so many large artf kits availiable you can understand why people dont want to build these! But I enjoy it, so will keep posting updates, yes I was a bit concerned about the wing structure, I will be adding more strength to it, dont want the wing to fold!

Dave
Old 03-08-2021, 06:04 AM
Bill Diedrich

How's the P-47 coming along? Just realized you are from the UK. I was stationed up in the north of Scotland with the Navy for
several years and married a Scottish girl and went back to live there once I got out of the service, traveled all of the UK with my
distribution business of period model ship kits and fittings for several years, but came back to the US in 1980 when the wife and I
split up. Started a hobby shop in SW Louisiana but closed it down after a couple of years as it just wasn't paying enough to keep
me in business. Went back into the real work world and finally retired 4 years ago @ 70. Now I can enjoy the building side of the
hobby.

Keep up the great progress you look like you are making on the P-47 looking forward to seeing the completion of this beauty,
Bill D.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:20 AM
pitsspecial

How's the P-47 coming along? Just realized you are from the UK. I was stationed up in the north of Scotland with the Navy for
several years and married a Scottish girl and went back to live there once I got out of the service, traveled all of the UK with my
distribution business of period model ship kits and fittings for several years, but came back to the US in 1980 when the wife and I
split up. Started a hobby shop in SW Louisiana but closed it down after a couple of years as it just wasn't paying enough to keep
me in business. Went back into the real work world and finally retired 4 years ago @ 70. Now I can enjoy the building side of the
hobby.

Keep up the great progress you look like you are making on the P-47 looking forward to seeing the completion of this beauty,
Bill D.

Hi Bill,

yes Im in the UK, Im near Chelmsford in Essex, down saffff! Lol Ive been doing the P47, but been slow, Ive now got both the main gear retracts mounts in, and started sheeting the top of the wing, retracts are Century Jet 11 1/2 long with 6 alloy wheels, dubro tyres.

thank you,
Dave.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:28 AM
pitsspecial

Old 03-09-2021, 04:02 PM
Bill Diedrich

What thickness of ply are you using to mount the retracts? Looks kind of thin for the weight that
this bird is going to be, just my thoughts. But again I'm sure that you will be adding a bit of bracing
to withstand those less than perfect landings.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know where I can find plans for something of similar size? It doesn't have to be a T -Bolt but a warbird would be nice. I know that larger kits are getting fewer and farther between so............................
Old 03-10-2021, 12:40 PM
pitsspecial

What thickness of ply are you using to mount the retracts? Looks kind of thin for the weight that
this bird is going to be, just my thoughts. But again I'm sure that you will be adding a bit of bracing
to withstand those less than perfect landings.
Hi Bill,

the retracts plates are 6mm birch ply, they are around 10 x 8 they are braced underneath and have triangle stock on all ribs, the two outer and central rib has a ply doubler, the front edge of the plate is on top of the spruce spar, so it should be ok, . . . You heard about my landings? Lol lol

Dave
Old 03-10-2021, 12:43 PM
pitsspecial

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know where I can find plans for something of similar size? It doesn't have to be a T -Bolt but a warbird would be nice. I know that larger kits are getting fewer and farther between so............................
Hi,

these old kits are very old now, this one is around 40 years old, there are plans availiable for the P47, Ziroli 98, Meister 102, Don Smith 122 lazer kit cutters will cut you a short kit for any of those, cowls and canopys etc are available from the plan manufacturer,

Dave
Old 03-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Not to re-hijack this thread but if you are interested in a set of Meister P-47 plans in 1/5th scale I have a set I'll make you a good deal on, and they are originals with the seal on them, PM me if interested.

Ok Dave I see that you have thought of everything on the landing gear plate, looking forward to a maiden report in a few months when this "Big Baby" is completed. What color scheme or markings
are you going to do it up in? They flew a lot of P-47's out of GB during the war and if some of my past research is correct they flew some out of bases in your area.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:33 PM
pitsspecial

Not to re-hijack this thread but if you are interested in a set of Meister P-47 plans in 1/5th scale I have a set I'll make you a good deal on, and they are originals with the seal on them, PM me if interested.

Ok Dave I see that you have thought of everything on the landing gear plate, looking forward to a maiden report in a few months when this "Big Baby" is completed. What color scheme or markings
are you going to do it up in? They flew a lot of P-47's out of GB during the war and if some of my past research is correct they flew some out of bases in your area.
Hi Bill,

your not hi jacking the thread, it’s nice to keep it going and have the conversation, it’s also nice to help out fellow modellers, so feel free mate, I only get a few hours per week to work on it, so won’t be finished that quickly, I’m going to base it on a P47 out of Duxford, ‘Miss Behave’

dave
Old 03-10-2021, 10:34 PM
pitsspecial