Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 07:48 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow!
Old 02-21-2023, 09:17 AM
Wyoturbine

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Getting there, just finished the upper left stab.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:13 PM
Wyoturbine

Stabs are finished. Tomorrow, belly and engine hard install.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:34 PM
Wyoturbine

Decided to change it up today(and a break from riveting) and focus on the cockpit. My first canopy showed up with some quality issues but an email to Rumen at Fokkerc had a replacement on my door step a few weeks later(Thank you Rumen!).
His canopies come with protectant film on the inside and outside which is a huge help when cutting and fitting. So I was able to get that cut this morning.
Before I got ahead of myself I dove into the cockpit, it still has some final painting touch ups and a few more parts to install, but the main components are in. All the main components came from Jiri at JPwarbirds in kit form, I believe he’ll pre-paint them for you if you like, but I enjoy the process.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:46 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Where did you get the pilot?
Old 02-22-2023, 04:10 PM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by Lifer
Where did you get the pilot?

I grabbed him a few years ago off eBay. BBI elite force was the brand I believe.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:07 AM
Findgareth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control horn suggestions

Hi Wyoturbine,
First time making anything this size. I’m thinking of glass/epoxy control horns vs nylon (and its flexibility) but unsure as to dimensions. Any recommendations for elevator, rudder ailerons and flaps control horn sizes? Is glass/epoxy optimal or is there something better?
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2023, 08:12 AM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by Findgareth
Hi Wyoturbine,
First time making anything this size. I’m thinking of glass/epoxy control horns vs nylon (and its flexibility) but unsure as to dimensions. Any recommendations for elevator, rudder ailerons and flaps control horn sizes? Is glass/epoxy optimal or is there something better?
Thanks!
Hey Gareth,
There are a lot of options out there. Being that it’s a warbird, I believe nylon and even g-10 is fine. A lot of it is based on style of flying, I like to yank and bank, but I also like maintaining scale flight. No 3d flying warbirds for me. These are what I’m planning to install. I haven’t decided which I’ll be going with as of yet.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:02 AM
Findgareth

Default Control horns

I would like to say I am an expert at 3D flying, and then I split my sides laughing. Unless 3D is aka a crash, that is! Thanks for the info. Really appreciated. Your Spit is really going to be something.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:03 AM
Wyoturbine

I would like to say I am an expert at 3D flying, and then I split my sides laughing. Unless 3D is aka a crash, that is! Thanks for the info. Really appreciated. Your Spit is really going to be something.
Lol, I’m sure there’s better control horns out there, I’m always learning myself. You’re welcome and thanks, hopefully I can be painting her by early summer. We’ll see!

Last edited by Wyoturbine; 02-24-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:14 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyoturbine
Lol, I’m sure there’s better control horns out there, I’m always learning myself. You’re welcome and thanks, hopefully I can into painting her by early summer. We’ll see!
When all else fails there are these from Sullivan.

https://sullivanproducts.com/product...control-horns/
https://sullivanproducts.com/product...rol-horn-s556/

Old 02-24-2023, 11:23 AM
Wyoturbine

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

I’ve ran across those before but haven’t tried them yet, they look stout for sure.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have several sets I was going to use on my current project unfortunately I put them in a safe place and haven't seen them since.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:43 AM
Wyoturbine

I have several sets I was going to use on my current project unfortunately I put them in a safe place and haven't seen them since.

Haha, funny that happens to me a lot. I’ll order another set of something then a month later the originals turn up. Go figure
Old 02-24-2023, 11:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Wyoturbine
Haha, funny that happens to me a lot. I’ll order another set of something then a month later the originals turn up. Go figure
I resemble this comment!

In my case I'm not sure if its creeping senility or the galloping stupids or both!
Old 02-24-2023, 04:48 PM
Wyoturbine

I resemble this comment!

In my case I'm not sure if it’s creeping senility or the galloping stupids or both!
I’ve just spent a few weeks of my life laying small 2mm aluminum dots on a model airplane….for no reason other than I think it looks really cool….so I can relate….
Old 03-08-2023, 06:01 PM
Wyoturbine

I worked on the canopy earlier this week, built up the armored forward windscreen and ran rivets/screw heads. Installing the forward canopy was a bit of a bear but it came out, masked it all off hit it with primer.
Finished up riveting the underside of the fuselage and stab yesterday, installed the elevators and rudder today and just finished rigging everything up.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:55 AM
Findgareth

Canopy looks like it took some time and effort. Happy with the result of the sliding canopy? Great details with the various panels and rivets. Looks like you went with the Robart control horns.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:11 AM
Wyoturbine

Canopy looks like it took some time and effort. Happy with the result of the sliding canopy? Great details with the various panels and rivets. Looks like you went with the Robart control horns.
The canopy did take some work, to get it and the slider matched up I taped them together then installed the forward with jbweld 6 min. But until that hardened it was about 10 to 15 min of choice words using my hands as the clamps, as tape wouldn’t hold it in the necessary location.
The slider works beautifully. I did build a strip of c-channel on the forward canopy for the slider to marry up with. I haven’t decided how it’ll lock into place as of yet. I’ve seen guys use the rear view mirror as a spring loaded latch, may look into that.
Yes, for the tail surfaces I went with the Robarts, the ball link took out any play and they are stout. I’ll probably grab another set of these for the ailerons.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:23 AM
Findgareth

Doing the cockpit is a long way in my future, but I had wondered how to fasten the slider to the front and prevent it ripping off in flight.….. my crashing skill means somebody else will need to fly the model to find out if does secure 🥴
Old 03-09-2023, 02:27 PM
Findgareth

OK, my admiration for you and other modelers out there is even greater than yesterday: 3hrs spent setting the horiz stab completely horizontal laterally and at 0deg incidence. My, how time flies when you’re crafting in 3 dimensions at one time. Even then my incidence slipped slightly. Argh!!!
Old 03-09-2023, 03:01 PM
Wyoturbine

OK, my admiration for you and other modelers out there is even greater than yesterday: 3hrs spent setting the horiz stab completely horizontal laterally and at 0deg incidence. My, how time flies when you’re crafting in 3 dimensions at one time. Even then my incidence slipped slightly. Argh!!!
Once the critical points are done things should move quickly for you. I agree shop time flys, I’ll jump in my shop after morning coffee, get hyper-focused on an area, look up and realize it’s mid-afternoon.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:07 PM
FlyerInOKC

And you get to do it all over again with the wing!
Old 03-09-2023, 03:40 PM
Wyoturbine

And you get to do it all over again with the wing!

Labor of love!
Old 03-15-2023, 01:41 PM
Findgareth

Certainly is. Grandkids sleepover (????????) prevented progress and definitely falls into labor of love category. Shout out to Rumen @FokkeRC for helping me out and recutting vertical stab parts I screwed up. He is a blessing! Naive of me I guess as I assume a vertical stab is supposed to be more vertical than a drunken sailor! Long way of saying your precision is excellent! (I am mastering the art of shims to get where you want to be.) Anyway, I was re-skimming your thread and - forgive me if I missed - but wondered how you settled on powering your cockpit slider? (Originally I opted for the lazy one piece approach, then morphed to the two piece manual open/close, now at wondering ….. ahh, time, such an elusive commodity!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.