Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Horten 229 Flying Wing

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Horten 229 Flying Wing

Old 12-17-2020, 01:29 PM
gonzalobures

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Horten 229 Flying Wing

Horten 229 V3 WWII flying wing model. It took me a year to build the model. The kit is produced by Gary Hethcoat Wings on the Web. Everything about the kit is class #1. Fiberglass center section with plywood bulkheads and built up balsa wings.

Maiden flight took place on 2/29/2020 at Borinquen RC Club in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico. It flew flawlessly with only minor trimming, 2 clicks left aileron and 1 click up. It flew very Stable no bad habits in the air. Its silhouette is very peculiar, but looks commanding and draws all the attention. The design does place a lot of its weight in the nose gear and requires attention on takeoff and landing.

A revolutionary design testament to the Horten brother’s innovative design. Recognition to Gary’s aeromodelling knowledge scaling down a very complicated model.

The model is controlled by a Futaba T14SG radio, powered by two JP 70mm counter rotating EDF’s, two JP 100 A ESC, two 6S 6200 ma in parallel, JP electric landing gear with sequential gear doors and brakes. Controlled by 13 servos. Controlled by Futaba are Elevons, Mid Flaps mixed with elevator switchable and also for speed brakes, inner flaps for speed brakes (crow), steering, drag Rudders for jaw and throttle.

The model spans 82” has 1277 sq. inches of wing area, weighted fully loaded 17 lbs.
Video:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Horten 229 019.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	4.99 MB
ID:	2268950  
Old 12-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Great job! Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:04 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! I'm working on a 1/5th scale turbine version right now. Might need to pick your brain on how you did your set up. Congrats!
Old 12-18-2020, 07:09 PM
gonzalobures

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sure, more than happy to help.